By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts October 2023 Discussion Thread

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Sales Comparison - October 2023

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 and Xbox One Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 472,225 - PS4 & XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 128,141 - PS4 & XOne

Total Lead: 714,707 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales: 69,693,983

Total Combined PS4 and Xbox One Sales: 70,408,690

In October 2023, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in the last month by 472,225 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS4 and Xbox One has sold 128,141 units more than the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are currently behind by 714,707 units.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S in their first 36 months sold a combined 69.69 million units, while the PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 70.41 million units. Month 36 is October 2023 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, while for the PS4 and Xbox One it is October 2016.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 175.11 million units after 118 months. The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are 105.42 million units behind lifetime sales of the PS4 and Xbox One.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

8th gen deserve the lead for now, three years in the amount of 9th gen exclusives is incredibly disappointing.

curl-6 said:

8th gen deserve the lead for now, three years in the amount of 9th gen exclusives is incredibly disappointing.

The 8th gen in the same point in time, were the same compare to 7th gen .. 7th gen was the peak of both exclusive games, quantity and quolity, and also even mediocre games being way more and way better than there were for the 8th gen. Every following generation becomes more and more trash in terms of games, and the peak was 7th gen. Heck even the 6th gen was better than the 8th and 9th gen.

Nowadays most of the games are multilplayer bullshits, microtransactions, and online only, There is no so much hidden gems and good games and exclusives like there were in the 7th gen. Then out of 100 games, 95 were single player focused or at least had one, and 80-85 percent of them were good to play on 8th gen and 9th gen 70-80% are multiplayer or online focused, microtransactions, and bullshits as a whole. and no more than 20% are singleplayer, out of which there is real small number of games which are at least good and are okay to play on and let's not forget that many of those singleplayer games are not something new but instead they are remasters and remakes, opposite to what games were back in 7th gen (or the biggest part of it). The difference is huge. And even exclusives took a big hit too. On both xbox and PS. Let alone the fact that many of the franchises and series we know today were at their peak and showed their best versions exactly there .. COD, NFS, BF, FIFA even (of course not by sales, but by pure hapiness of the customers with what product they had in comparison to the last couple of years) new IPs too..

7th gen just was the peak of the console scene. Not only because only of the games themselves, but even the consoles. There is no such interesting generation like the 7th. Every year we had new models, every year for the first half of the generation we had pricecuts, we had real E3 conferences, corporate people talked infront of the mic from both companies, things happened. Thing were changing. And they were dynamic. Exclusives changed hands, there were more OMG moments in general than any other generations. The console market and manufacturers evolved much more than any other gen. I want this again.

So, if we have to point one that deserves the lead, that should be exactly the 7th gen .. although maybe it's exactly why is in last place .. because when you are struggling then you show the best of what you can (like Sony and MS in the 7th gen).

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 05 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - October 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 252,651 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 111,228 - Wii

Total Lead: 9,099,781 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 45,366,475

Wii Total Sales: 54,466,256

October 2023 is the 36th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Wii when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 0.25 million units.

In the last 12 months, the Nintendo Wii has outsold the PlayStation 5 by 0.11 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 9.10 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 45.37 million units in 36 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 54.47 million units. Month 36 for the PlayStation 5 is October 2023 and for the Nintendo Wii it is October 2009.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 60 million in month 38, 70 million in month 43, 80 million in month 50, and 90 million in month 61. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The PS5 is 56.26 million units behind lifetime Wii sales.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

That is it for the October 2023 sales comparison articles. Japan estimates should be posted tomorrow and the November 2023 sales comparison articles for Japan will be posted in the coming days.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 06 December 2023

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

The 8th gen in the same point in time, were the same compare to 7th gen .. 7th gen was the peak of both exclusive games, quantity and quolity, and also even mediocre games being way more and way better than there were for the 8th gen. Every following generation becomes more and more trash in terms of games, and the peak was 7th gen. Heck even the 6th gen was better than the 8th and 9th gen.

Nowadays most of the games are multilplayer bullshits, microtransactions, and online only, There is no so much hidden gems and good games and exclusives like there were in the 7th gen. Then out of 100 games, 95 were single player focused or at least had one, and 80-85 percent of them were good to play on 8th gen and 9th gen 70-80% are multiplayer or online focused, microtransactions, and bullshits as a whole. and no more than 20% are singleplayer, out of which there is real small number of games which are at least good and are okay to play on and let's not forget that many of those singleplayer games are not something new but instead they are remasters and remakes, opposite to what games were back in 7th gen (or the biggest part of it). The difference is huge. And even exclusives took a big hit too. On both xbox and PS. Let alone the fact that many of the franchises and series we know today were at their peak and showed their best versions exactly there .. COD, NFS, BF, FIFA even (of course not by sales, but by pure hapiness of the customers with what product they had in comparison to the last couple of years) new IPs too..

7th gen just was the peak of the console scene. Not only because only of the games themselves, but even the consoles. There is no such interesting generation like the 7th. Every year we had new models, every year for the first half of the generation we had pricecuts, we had real E3 conferences, corporate people talked infront of the mic from both companies, things happened. Thing were changing. And they were dynamic. Exclusives changed hands, there were more OMG moments in general than any other generations. The console market and manufacturers evolved much more than any other gen. I want this again.

So, if we have to point one that deserves the lead, that should be exactly the 7th gen .. although maybe it's exactly why is in last place .. because when you are struggling then you show the best of what you can (like Sony and MS in the 7th gen).

Yeah I'd also place the 7th gen above the 8th and (so far) the 9th, for similar reasons.

PS3 and 360 were Sony/MS at their best in my opinion, and Wii while not quite Nintendo's best was still a great console. There were tons of cool new IPs, games didn't take like 6 years to come out, business practises were less scummy, and there was more originality.

PS5/Xbox Series don't even really feel like a new gen to me, they just feel like a PS4 Pro Pro and Xbox One XX. Hopefully that will change.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I'd also place the 7th gen above the 8th and (so far) the 9th, for similar reasons.

PS3 and 360 were Sony/MS at their best in my opinion, and Wii while not quite Nintendo's best was still a great console. There were tons of cool new IPs, games didn't take like 6 years to come out, business practises were less scummy, and there was more originality.

PS5/Xbox Series don't even really feel like a new gen to me, they just feel like a PS4 Pro Pro and Xbox One XX. Hopefully that will change.

Yep I agree 100% here.

Wii/DS also brought some interesting new, practices, and games, into this period, which made it even more interesting and dynamic, on top of the 360 and PS3. Just every company was exploding back then. it was 10/10. And I can't recall the same or close to this happening before that, and obviously after that. Heck even 8th and 9th gen combined I don't think can beat those 8 years of the 7th gen (2005-2013), in every criteria, games, news, changes, announcements, excitement, OMG moments, public things such as E3, and everything else in it. The sales is the only thing they beat it .. and even there it's doubtful if we add WII and DS.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 06 December 2023

Very good and professional analysis of the XBOX sales and comparison to the previous two generations of Xbox and even Playstation.