By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts October 2023 Discussion Thread

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Sales Comparison in Europe - October 2023 

This monthly series compares the aligned Europe sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox One launched in November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. XOne Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 110,668 - XOne

Gap change over last 12 months: 655,646 - XOne

Total Lead: 88,064 - XOne

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 6,771,595

Xbox One Total Sales: 6,859,659

October 2023 is the 36th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox One when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 110,668 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox One has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 0.66 million units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently behind the Xbox One by 88,064 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 6.77 million units in 36 months, while the Xbox One sold 6.86 million units. Month 36 for the Xbox Series X|S is October 2023 and for the Xbox One is October 2016.

The Xbox One crossed 8 million units sold in Europe in month 39, 10 million in month 50, and 12 million in month 62. The Xbox One sold 14.86 million units lifetime in Europe. The Xbox Series X|S is 8.09 million units behind lifetime Xbox One sales in Europe.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Weird that PS5 is so far down from PS4 in Europe.
Guess sending more stock to America came at a price, although it does make sense to prioritise a more contested market.

Xbox by contrast has been neck and neck with its predecessor in Europe, though the current slump puts that at risk.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 November 2023

curl-6 said:

Weird that PS5 is so far down from PS4 in Europe.
Guess sending more stock to America came at a price, although it does make sense to prioritise a more contexted market.

Xbox by contrast has been neck and neck with its predecessor in Europe, though the current slump puts that at risk.

Yeah, Sony shifted a higher percent of PS5s to the Americas than Europe during the shortages due to having more competition in those regions. 

The Xbox One sold 372K and 629K in November and December 2016 in Europe looking at VGChartz estimates. These match up to November and December 2023 for the Xbox Series X|S. So we shall see how well the Xbox Series X|S sells in November and December. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Banned for spamming the same post on the forums - TrunksWD

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 November 2023

Banned for spamming the same post on the forums - TrunksWD

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 November 2023

Around the Network

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - October 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched in the US on November 10, 2020, and the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Gap change in latest month: 131,242 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,007,248 - PS5

Total Lead: 4,220,462 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 16,097,948

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 11,877,486

October 2023 is the 36th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 131,242 units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold Xbox Series X|S by 3.01 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 4.22 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 16.10 million units in the US in 36 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 11.88 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 57.5 percent marketshare (+4.0% year-over-year), compared to 42.5 percent for the Xbox Series X|S (-4.0% year-over-year).

The PlayStation 5 is currently 1.26 million units ahead the PlayStation 4 in the US when you align launches, while the Xbox Series X|S is behind the Xbox One by 1.47 million.

trunkswd said:

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

October 2023 is the 36th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 131,242 units.

In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 5 has outsold Xbox Series X|S by 3.01 million units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 4.22 million units.

Wow, Xbox Series X/S isn't doing too hot in it's own territory compared to the PS5 (as in Microsoft is an American Corporation while Sony is a Japanese Corporation). Is this just because the PS5 has better exclusives, like Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, God of War: Ragnarok, than the Xbox Series X/S, like Halo Infinite, Starfield? I feel like there are more reasons than just that because the two, Xbox Series X and PS5 have the same specs (in fact Xbox Series X has better specs) with PS5 having better load times. Is it because Sony has been producing movies that give it recognition, so people buy PS5 because they recognize the brand?
Or is it because of a simpler reason like how PS5 is more catchy than Xbox Series X/S, thus it sticks in people more unconsciously indoctrinating people to buy PS5?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
trunkswd said:

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Wow, Xbox Series X/S isn't doing too hot in it's own territory compared to the PS5 (as in Microsoft is an American Corporation while Sony is a Japanese Corporation). Is this just because the PS5 has better exclusives, like Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy 16, God of War: Ragnarok, than the Xbox Series X/S, like Halo Infinite, Starfield? I feel like there are more reasons than just that because the two, Xbox Series X and PS5 have the same specs (in fact Xbox Series X has better specs) with PS5 having better load times. Is it because Sony has been producing movies that give it recognition, so people buy PS5 because they recognize the brand?
Or is it because of a simpler reason like how PS5 is more catchy than Xbox Series X/S, thus it sticks in people more unconsciously indoctrinating people to buy PS5?

I'd say it's multiple things rather than just one. One thing you didn't mention is the Xbox ecosystem is no longer just the console market as they release all their games day 1 on PC and are growing their presence on mobile as well. 

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - October 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 77,687 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 257,473 - Switch

Total Lead: 14,196,181 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 131,245,441

DS Total Sales: 145,441,622

October 2023 is the 80th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 0.08 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 0.26 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 14.20 million units.

The 80th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is October 2023, while for the DS it is June 2011. The Switch has sold 131.26 million units, while the DS sold 145.44 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 22.77 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - October 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 186,837 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 50,640 - PS5

Total Lead: 6,045,718 - Switch

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 45,366,475

Switch Total Sales: 51,412,193

October 2023 is the 36th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 186,837 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the Switch by 50,640 units. The PS5 is behind the Switch by 6.05 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 45.37 million units in 36 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 51.41 million units. Month 36 for the PlayStation 5 is October 2023 and for the Nintendo Switch it is February 2020.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 60 million in month 41, 70 million in month 45, and 80 million in month 48. The Nintendo Switch has sold 131.25 million units through October 2023. The PS5 is 85.88 million units behind lifetime Switch sales.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 01 December 2023