By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Wonder 50m+ LT

The only way this is likely is if it gets a Switch 2 port, especially if the port has new content. I could then see both releases reaching a combined 50 million.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I feel like 25-30 million on the Switch this late in the game is about as much as you could ask for. Maybe 50 million between the Switch/Switch 2 if the Switch 2 is another success.

Geralt99 said:

Switch by the end of its life cycle will have sold over 150 million. It should easily do anywhere between 40 to 50 million lifetime.

hahaha EASILY do 40-50 million???!

lol what? Only two Switch games have managed (and will manage) to hit 40 million. Wonder is coming out with a year left in Switch's life, it won't hit 40 million at all, easy or hard.

30 million seems about right. 30 million is an insanely high number that probably only MK, AC, Smash, the two Zeldas, and Wonder will hit, no reason to say silly things like 50 million. It'll probably push around 20m this holiday season and I could see it adding another maybe ~7 million next year and then a few million more in Switch's post-life phase especially assuming next gen will be backwards compatible so some next gen owners will pick it up as well.

Geralt99 said:

Switch by the end of its life cycle will have sold over 150 million. It should easily do anywhere between 40 to 50 million lifetime.

That would mean about a 1/3 attach ratio, which would be pretty insane. Especially when you consider that 150 million Switches sold doesn't necessarily translate to 150 million players as you have replacement units/upgrades/etc. Not impossible, but it would be pretty surprising. Mario Kart is the only other game that reached 50 million which launched very early on and has been bundled with the system most holidays. Animal Crossing crossed 40 million but it looks like it won't get to 50 million. If Wonder gets there it definitely won't be easily.  

2D Mario is big, but is it really THAT big? Especially so late in the Switch's life cycle? Honestly, I don't think we have a good precedent to follow. 2D Mario games are almost always released within about three years of a platform's launch (the NES, SNES, GB, GBA, DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U all follow this trend).

Wonder will easily pass 20 million, but 50 million sales implies years of legs that the Switch simply doesn't have in it.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Geralt99 said:

That would mean about a 1/3 attach ratio, which would be pretty insane. Especially when you consider that 150 million Switches sold doesn't necessarily translate to 150 million players as you have replacement units/upgrades/etc. Not impossible, but it would be pretty surprising. Mario Kart is the only other game that reached 50 million which launched very early on and has been bundled with the system most holidays. Animal Crossing crossed 40 million but it looks like it won't get to 50 million. If Wonder gets there it definitely won't be easily.  

Animal Crossing did WHAT?

Damn, people did have nothing to do during lockdowns, did they.

Can the OP please edit the original post with whether this prediction is for Switch 1 only, or combined with the Switch 2. It really completely changes the tone of this prediction if it doesn't include the Switch successor.

Naw we already had 2d mario on switch with 4 players. this might at best sell what mario odyssey did, but i expect no more then 22 mililion.

all people I know that have switch will buy it
This game applies for everyone , the gays love it, girls , kids , old men , young men , this game is coming for blood

Slownenberg said:
Geralt99 said:

hahaha EASILY do 40-50 million???!

lol what? Only two Switch games have managed (and will manage) to hit 40 million. Wonder is coming out with a year left in Switch's life, it won't hit 40 million at all, easy or hard.

30 million seems about right. 30 million is an insanely high number that probably only MK, AC, Smash, the two Zeldas, and Wonder will hit, no reason to say silly things like 50 million. It'll probably push around 20m this holiday season and I could see it adding another maybe ~7 million next year and then a few million more in Switch's post-life phase especially assuming next gen will be backwards compatible so some next gen owners will pick it up as well.

Animal Crossing shipped 32.63 million from its March 20, 2020 launch to March 31, 2021.

I know Animal Crossing had the benefit of the pandemic effect but Wonder has a bigger install base+Mario movie effect so I don’t think it’s crazy at all to think it can outperform AC in a similar timeframe.

Assuming a November 2024 launch, Mario Wonder could be 35+ million by the time Switch 2 releases and 5+ million post-Switch 2 launch gets you 40+ million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.