1990s 22 40.74%

2000s 5 9.26%

2010s 7 12.96%

2020s (So far) 13 24.07%

Total:54

90s but...I'd say right now.

Around the Network

It's too hard to bet against the 90s.

As cool as the Switch is, it gets like a huge, huge release like Zelda: TotK every few years maybe.

Nintendo was releasing the equivalent of ToTK almost a yearly basis in the 90s. Super Metroid, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, GoldenEye 007, Super Mario RPG, Pokemon Red/Blue, Killer Instinct, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64 w/Rumble Pak, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, F-Zero X all came out in a 4 year period (1994-1998), lol. Add in 3rd party exclusives like Final Fantasy III (6) and Chrono Trigger and Turok 2.

You will never, ever see a 4 year period in the industry like that again, I feel pretty confident in saying that.

Imo, 90s > 00s > 10s > 80s

90s was the best. They were ambitious and experimental. They innovated a lots and pushed their ips.
00s was where they had really great formulas for their IP in 3D. They also took risks. I feel like the wii era taints a bit towards the end of the 00s since they really went in a totally different direction mid decade.
10s, they started the decade with a bit of an identity crisis. They had ideas but wether if it's for the 3DS and the Wii U, i feel like everything was a bit badly executed. The concept of the wii u for example, you can tell where they wanted to go but were limited with the hardware possibilities. It transcribed a bit in their IPs as well. There were A LOT of 2D platformers. They left many IPs in the dirt for the first years of the decade as well. Mario was prominent, kirby and the more family friendly ips. Most of the IPs didn't meet the potential they had and it was frustrating to see. BUT the Switch really turned it around. You can tell they felt ambitious again, they got rewarded for it.

For the 20s, i want them to continue taking risks. They have their identity and their brand is SOLID as it ever was. I really hope they invest more in their games and you can tell it's the new trajectory with articles like the one pointing out Wonder didn't have a deadline and they could be creative. That's what works best for Nintendo and i can tell 20s will be one of if not their best decade if they keep that trajectory.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Surprised to see as many votes for the 2020s as for the 1990s, after just three and a half years of the decade, especially considering how strong the 90s were.
Folks must really be loving the Switch era.

It's the battle of nostalgia vs. the present.

Recency bias baby ! 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's the battle of nostalgia vs. the present.

Recency bias baby ! 

I don't think a lot of people here were born in the 90s (or old enough to be aware of the industry). 

You will never see a stretch by any company in this business like Nintendo's 1994-1998 in particular. No way. Not with game development the way it has become, in those days you could make a great game in even like 12-15 months with like 15 people. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I don't think I am going to vote in this one, because each decade has its own portion of being incomplete when it comes to absolute and total greatness.

The 1980s saw Nintendo creating the trifecta of Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid along the launch of the NES that was home to quite a few legendary third party IPs. But this is 1985 onwards, so the first six years of this decade weren't anywhere close to that amazing.

The 1990s had the refinement of NES IPs on the SNES as well as proper portable gaming on the GB/GBC - as opposed to Game&Watch with its very primitive games - but also the Nintendo 64 with its tradeoff of clunkiness for the realisation of 3D gaming. The N64 is also when the breadth of Nintendo's home console library fell apart and the vast majority of true standout-titles began to be first party games.

The 2000s developed handheld gaming further with two great consoles: The GBA and the DS. But the home console side continued to suffer: First with the GC where some odd design choices hurt Nintendo's biggest IPs, then the Wii which couldn't get third parties back on board in earnest. Not Nintendo's fault, but it just ended up the way it did despite all the potential.

The 2010s are actually my choice for the worst decade, because that one is easy. Both the 3DS and Wii U were painful in their own ways and Switch came way too late in this timeframe to offset the miserable years.

The 2020s are flawless so far, but we are only four years in. Switch has restored Nintendo's classic and beloved setup of a game library, so it's the comeback of the NES/SNES era, plus it has almost all the greats that their 3D era has brought to the table.

Overall, Nintendo has always made great games. At times they've made some questionable choices for one or the other IP of theirs, but usually they had something else on the plate that wasn't there before or not as good before. They've had a lot more hits than misses. Even during their darkest era (3DS and Wii U) they've managed to have plenty of bright spots, even though they didn't result in more console sales; but sales aren't the topic here, so...

I’ll second this. I think Nintendo has always had its ups and downs. The 2000s saw Nintendo’s highest commercial peak, but it followed what (at that point) was its biggest commercial fall, only to be beaten in the 2010s, which again was followed by the beginning of a new commercial high. Things are really stable and optimistic feeling right now - especially since it doesn’t look like Sony or Microsoft are going to land anything outside their current lane that could potentially derail Nintendo (Unless Microsoft buys it).

Ask again in 5 years, and we might have a winner with the 2020s. This has been about the most stable Nintendo has ever been.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 September 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

90s. The answer to any and all of these kinds of questions is always and will likely always will be ‘90s’.

The 90s still win for me, simply because of the sheer quantity of masterpieces.
Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Starfox SNES and 64, Mario Kart SNES and 64, F-Zero SNES and X, they were delivering banger after banger like a machine gun firing gold bullets.

The 2000s and 2010s had some great games too, but they were let down a bit by the Gamecube and Wii U respectively, while the 80s were before my time as a gamer (and haven't aged well in my opinion) and it's too soon to call the 2020s in my view.

How the hell could anyone say 2020s lol. Literally  nothing will come close to the 90s.

Totk and pikim? Vs 

Zelda OOT

Link to the past 

Mario 64 

Just these  three games alone are better then the 2020s I don't have post anymore games and the list is huge.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 12 September 2023

90s snes whas there best console ever.
And of the greatest gaming consoles ever made.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil