By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Microsoft drop the Series S or stick with it?

Should the S be cut off?

Yes, drop it 15 24.19%

No, keep it 47 75.81%

Total:62

They should not have released the S model in the first place, but since they have already did, they should keep it otherwise players with model S are straight up being backstabbed.

Around the Network
arthurchan35 said:

They should not have released the S model in the first place, but since they have already did, they should keep it otherwise players with model S are straight up being backstabbed.

I don't think the S model is a mistake, even in hindsight. Gaming forum users see so much in regards to power, but most usual players don't really care. Model S brought modern games into the hands of millions of players and still do. And we have now *one* game where *one* feature (the split-screen) is a problem. I don't think most of future games really are a problem to get running on Series S.

I think for instance the reason for Immortals of Aveum flopping isn't the low resolution on S, the data we have about this game underperforming is from Steam, where players can have powerful rigs as they want. I think the game flops as it does offer not much beyond pretty graphics. If we look at the biggest releases this year, the series S gets now Baldur's Gate (without split-screen), Starfield, Diablo and so on. The games missing it are Nintendo and Playstation exclusives, so no power problem. I don't think Series S is in trouble.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

In my opinion Series S fails at being a cheap console in one crucial aspect - it has no blu-ray player meaning budget gamers can't buy or sell used games, not to mention even new games are usually 5-20 Euro cheaper in my country than digital versions.

They also drop in price much faster than digital games, and you don't have to wait 2 months for another sale.

Delusional post. Yes drop the series s , when they have finally let go of last gen and can now focus on video game design that only works with these newer gen consoles.

KratosLives said:

Delusional post. Yes drop the series s , when they have finally let go of last gen and can now focus on video game design that only works with these newer gen consoles.

Whose post is delusional? Are you referring to my OP?

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

Sorry, what? Let me say to you, I don't see any video game design that only works on newer consoles. I guess you speak about graphics, which for me isn't new video game design, as it doesn't allow for new gaming experiences, only old gaming experiences a little bit prettier. but if we talk about video game design, then Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild opened new ways - possible on Switch.

Baldur's Gate 3 seems fresh for all the younglings here, but for me it is 90s game design - which I thouroughly enjoy. But in it's core it is Baldur's Gate 1+2, just more of it, prettier, systems more evolved. Sure, it wouldn't work on 90s machines, but that is because the devs designed it for newer ones, not that the underlying video game design demanded it. And to be clear: BG3 will be coming to Series S, so where is the problem?

Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, Wildermyth, these are games that brought on new video game design. But they don't need the newest gen.

If you want to play only graphics demos, you get Immortals of Aveum. Have fun with it.

But every game so far in the past few years is running on Series S, except they are Playstation or Nintendo exclusives. I am baffled how much these Playstation fans (Kratos) care about Split screen now, to the extent that they say, that if Series S owners can't have split screen, they shouldn't get games in the first place. Which seems a poor choice.

So if I have to choose a post in this thread which is delusional...

BTW: People should play Baldur's Gate 3, instead of worrying about Series S. They shouldn't wait for it releasing on PS5. It will be an inferior version anyways. While controller input works and is fine I guess, mouse and keyboard input is far superior for this game with higher precision and faster access to all the options with clicking in the hotbar instead of navigating through a series of selection wheels.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 31 August 2023

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

BTW: People should play Baldur's Gate 3, instead of worrying about Series S. They shouldn't wait for it releasing on PS5. It will be an inferior version anyways. While controller input works and is fine I guess, mouse and keyboard input is far superior for this game with higher precision and faster access to all the options with clicking in the hotbar instead of navigating through a series of selection wheels.

Amen to that :) This a little off topic but seriously I tried to play on PC with a controller and while it works and will be enjoyable, that game is really better played with a mouse/kb (and this comes from a really big controller fan who plays even FPS with a controller on PC). No matter if it is on Xbox or Play Station 5, if you can enjoy it on PC, take it on PC and play with a mouse/kb :) Canth, out!

Mnementh said:
KratosLives said:

Sorry, what? Let me say to you, I don't see any video game design that only works on newer consoles. I guess you speak about graphics, which for me isn't new video game design, as it doesn't allow for new gaming experiences, only old gaming experiences a little bit prettier. but if we talk about video game design, then Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild opened new ways - possible on Switch.

Baldur's Gate 3 seems fresh for all the younglings here, but for me it is 90s game design - which I thouroughly enjoy. But in it's core it is Baldur's Gate 1+2, just more of it, prettier, systems more evolved. Sure, it wouldn't work on 90s machines, but that is because the devs designed it for newer ones, not that the underlying video game design demanded it. And to be clear: BG3 will be coming to Series S, so where is the problem?

Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, Wildermyth, these are games that brought on new video game design. But they don't need the newest gen.

If you want to play only graphics demos, you get Immortals of Aveum. Have fun with it.

But every game so far in the past few years is running on Series S, except they are Playstation or Nintendo exclusives. I am baffled how much these Playstation fans (Kratos) care about Split screen now, to the extent that they say, that if Series S owners can't have split screen, they shouldn't get games in the first place. Which seems a poor choice.

Why are you quoting me, when i'm defending the series s??

KratosLives said:
Mnementh said:

You did?

Mnementh said:
KratosLives said:

You did?

Are you for or against the series s?