By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Tagged games:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Thread

So Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse released last weekend into theaters nearly five years after the original film and numerous delays.

Expectations were high because of the quality of the first film which became the highest grossing Sony Pictures Animation film domestically and the first to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.Somehow this sequel not only met expectations but surpassed them.

The film had a huge opening box office of $120 million, several times larger than the original's $35 million opening. The opening is more in line with the live action Spider-Man films, and in facts counts as the 3rd highest 3 day opening for the franchise.

The film is also notable as the longest American made animated feature film to be released theatrically with a runtime of 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I saw the film and was blown away. The artistry and visuals are top notch. The story is expansive and funny but also darker while still retaining some heart. I will likely see it again while it is still in theaters.

The first film had a dynamite soundtrack headlines by the multi-platinum single "Sunflower" by Post Malone and Swae Lee. While no single song from this movie will likely reach those heights, the soundtrack overseen by Metro Boomin has some great songs on it. My favorites are the lead single "Calling" and "Self Love" with Coi Leray which features in the opening scene.

I won't give any spoilers but the third part of the trilogy Beyond the Spider-Verse is scheduled to release next March. I am really excited.

Have you seen the movie? What do you think?

Last edited by Signalstar - on 09 June 2023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Best movie I've seen this year and in a long time! Love the artistic style, soundtrack, well written with nice humor and heart, great cameos etc.. the list goes on...

Myself and many others that I've talked with had the same feeling; we had some high expectations but this blew us away and exceeded those high expectations.

Will definitely be buying this on 4K blu-ray!

First one was the best Spider-man movie, and possibly the best superhero movie altogether. This one was better.

I love a good origin story as much as the next guy, but it does limit you to a sort of formulaic story. Into the Spider-verse had a lot of fun with it, but it was still ultimately the classic hero's journey. Here, they had a bit more freedom to explore relationships on different levels. The first film was about Miles accepting his responsibility and becoming Spider-man, but deciding to do the right thing is the easy part. Figuring out what that right thing is is the hard part.

Visuals are absolutely phenomenal, the action set pieces are brilliant, and pretty much every joke lands. Really like how Miguel O' Hara is being brought into the story as a more vicious but still heroic Spider-man. It's similar to his arc in the comics which is interesting. Making Spider-Gwen the co-protagonist works well. I never felt like the pairing worked in the comics (they sort of tried to force it), but it does here. Especially from Miles' point of view, there's something very relatable about idealizing someone you have a crush on and then finding out they're not quite the person you thought.

I have a few pretty minor complaints. The biggest one is that this is essentially one half of a story and it's not quite complete on its own. I also would have liked a bit more of the characters from the first Spider-verse. Gwen gets a lot of time, and Peter B. gets a little, but the others get a cameo at most. I'm not sure how I feel about the Spot as the main villain. It's sort of fun to have the joke villain elevated to a universal threat but it just didn't really click. I guess you could argue that Spider-man 2099 is the actual villain of the film.

But those are nitpicks. It was really excellent and as a fan of animation, it really shows why the value of that medium. Glad it outperformed the first one so much, as that shows that in a world of hype, positive word of mouth and quality still matter. I would say though that calling it the third best opening for a Spider-man movie is a tad unfair. Spider-man 1 and homecoming would definitely be ahead after inflation, and maybe Amazing Spider-man 2 even.

I loved it just like the first one. I really have nothing bad to say. Everything is so well done, I could go rewatch this film several times like I did the first one. These are by far the best spider man movies out there.

Seeing it again this weekend. Glad to see I"m not the only one who loved it. ^^

Around the Network

Felt for the first half of the movie that it was being a bit carried on its visuals, the story felt a little convoluted and bloated with all the cameos and multiverse stuff. Then Oscar Isaac comes in and from then on everything just clicks. And by "just clicks" I mean it was fucking thrilling, all the way until the "end"... which uhh, I get that this is a 2-part thing, but man, would it hurt to have even just the slightest bit of resolution? Oh well at least they made the cliffhanger hype enough.

Visuals were out of this world, like seriously unbelievable, they made the first movie (and every other animated movie that took inspiration from it) look tame. This shit went wild man, they could've given the script to a 4-year-old and it'd still be fire because of how it looks. But yeah even if the script had its issues, it ultimately was a good story with good characters. I loved Miles already but now I love him more.

All that said I'm not 100% sure yet I find it better than the first. I think so? But this feels like one of those sequels that really amplify the original, all aspects of it, so everything the first was great at (animation, characters, soundtrack, making a multiverse story that doesn't feel like bullshit) is even better here, but whatever minor criticisms I had of the first movie (mainly the pacing) were made more prominent too.

Overall really fantastic and a strong contender for best ever Marvel movie not called Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm definitely seeing it again especially because of how overwhelming it was, feels like you can only barely begin to understand the movie after a single viewing.

Also apparently they're patching the audio mix? lol

Last edited by mZuzek - on 09 June 2023

Just got back from seeing it.
Absolutely fantastic from beginning to end!
Everything about it from the visuals, the plot, the cast of characters.
It was everything I was hoping for in a sequel and just a tiny bit more.
I cannot freaking wait for Beyond the Spider-Verse! If that proves to be just as good, if not better, than the first two... Lord of the Rings may have some competition for "Best Movie Trilogy of All Time."

PAOerfulone said:

I cannot freaking wait for Beyond the Spider-Verse! If that proves to be just as good, if not better, than the first two... Lord of the Rings may have some competition for "Best Movie Trilogy of All Time."

Second best.

PAOerfulone said:

Do you see it making a lot of monies than the previous installment?

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

The animation in this movie was stupidly good.

That said, being just the first two acts on top of it already having a reasonable length made the movie seem way longer than it actually was.

Looking forward to the next one.