By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89

I prefer higher frame rate.

30 FPS is okay but 60 FPS is ideal.

I rather play a game at 1080p 60 FPS than 4k 30 FPS.

Around the Network

If I had to choose, obviously I'm taking performance over visual oomph. But then, I still think Donkey Kong Country looks beautiful so, maybe I'm not the right person to ask. lol

For console games I would say visuals. Although the 30 fps mode is rarely worth it since a higher resolution doesn't really matter that much beyond 1440p. Especially if you sit 3 meters away from your screen. I don't really care about 120 fos and am not willing to take the sub PS4 graphics it will take to run a game like that on PS5 

Last edited by Qwark - on 07 June 2023

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Maybe it's the type of games that I play, but 30fps and up is fine for me, doesn't really seem to make a huge difference. I always choose the quality mode over performance on the PS5. I like nice and clear visuals, I take in the scenery.

I don't really care about either one, and I feel there is far too much focus on graphics in gaming today. I would be fine if consoles never improved in power over the current Switch models.

Around the Network

1) framerate impacts gameplay, visuals don't

2) RT is the most overrated enhancement I've seen.

3) 120 hz is amazing 

Framerate. Can't beat your eyes receiving at least twice the visual information.

Interpolation from 30 fps is also worth it a lot of the time. There's added input lag but the gain in motion clarity is astounding.

60 fps all day. 60fps makes the game much smoother which to me makes the game look much better, it also makes it more responsive. At one point i was playing super street fighter 2 turbo for months on Fightcade. I turned on my ps4 pro and 30fps felt so janky and looked like a slide show.

Specs as they are now can give us the crazy physics, interactivity and complex physics at 60fps as long they don't focus on graphics. Red dead 2 still looks stunning and has the most impressive open world of any game running on crappy ps4 hardware.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 07 June 2023

FPS for sure. After experiencing how amazing 140+ is 60 no longer feels good to me though still feels alright but 30 now generally feels like shit and is genuinely unplayably bad to me in any game with camera movement. For something like an RPG Maker game it's not a big deal but for genres like 3D platformer or FPS it's abysmal.

Chrkeller said:

1) framerate impacts gameplay, visuals don't

2) RT is the most overrated enhancement I've seen.

3) 120 hz is amazing 

You should check out the digital foundry video on the recent path tracing update to Cyberpunk. Implementation of RT in most games hasn't been noteworthy so far but within the next decade or so it's gonna cause a huge visual leap when hardware gets good enough for full on path tracing to become the norm.

I don’t care for either of the options.

But if we talk about graphics I prefer the secret 4th option that is stable frame rate.

Also frame rates above 60 on a console is just a waste of processing power, and frame rates above 100 on a computer is a waste of processing power for 99 % of people.