By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Zelda tokt is mainly impressive for its physics but the world it self isn't anywhere as impressive as red dead 2. The amount of ai and things happening, detail and graphics I just don't see things getting much better then that. Mainly cause the budget for those games are just too massive 

Look at games 15 years ago, then look at games today. Progress is constant and inevitable. You may not see how they can get better, but I promise you, developers will find a way.

GTAV came out 10 years and it's still one of  the best open world game in a realistic setting. Can Rockstar improve there games, hell yes. I feel like open world games can be much better if they can focus on fluid controls, ui and make great combat that can stay balanced through out the game. Great npc's side quests and great story. I honestly don't see anything really making red dead 2 world look dated and this is on ps4 which is ancient now.

Around the Network

Some graphic effects I turn off because I don't like the look, many bright spell casting effects, excessive splatter and particle physics that I find distracting, gaining extra frames is just a bonus most of the time.

But as someone mentioned I probably prefer a locked and consistent frame rate to a higher one. Will lower the graphics if i notice dips.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Look at games 15 years ago, then look at games today. Progress is constant and inevitable. You may not see how they can get better, but I promise you, developers will find a way.

GTAV came out 10 years and it's still one of  the best open world game in a realistic setting. Can Rockstar improve there games, hell yes. I feel like open world games can be much better if they can focus on fluid controls, ui and make great combat that can stay balanced through out the game. Great npc's side quests and great story. I honestly don't see anything really making red dead 2 world look dated and this is on ps4 which is ancient now.

GTA5 really shows it's age by this point, it's very much a product of the late PS3/360 era. 

Put it next to something like Red Dead 2, Elden Ring, or in terms of dynamic complexity BOTW/TOTK and its limitations are very apparent.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

GTA5 really shows it's age by this point, it's very much a product of the late PS3/360 era. 

Put it next to something like Red Dead 2, Elden Ring, or in terms of dynamic complexity BOTW/TOTK and its limitations are very apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGtyzEGcW3k&t=10s

Graphics have aged but it's incredibly complex game with so many things going on. its a living, breathing city with insane attention to detail. watch the video and with updated graphics it blows everything away. 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Graphics have aged but it's incredibly complex game with so many things going on. its a living, breathing city with insane attention to detail. watch the video and with updated graphics it blows everything away. 

It's definitely an impressive technical achievement for its time, but it is also a decade old, newer games have surpassed it in terms of interactivity and compexity. It's somewhat rigid gameplay is also a sign of its time, modern games are more streamlined.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

It's definitely an impressive technical achievement for its time, but it is also a decade old, newer games have surpassed it in terms of interactivity and compexity. It's somewhat rigid gameplay is also a sign of its time, modern games are more streamlined.

Yea the gameplay is where rockstar is really lacking especially the combat.

watch this video it really goes in the detail off showing just how impressive GTAV is vs cyberpunk. whats impressive in GTAV is just the amount of things you can do, that most open worlds just don't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1GadFXPHg

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 June 2023

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

FPS for sure. After experiencing how amazing 140+ is 60 no longer feels good to me though still feels alright but 30 now generally feels like shit and is genuinely unplayably bad to me in any game with camera movement. For something like an RPG Maker game it's not a big deal but for genres like 3D platformer or FPS it's abysmal.

You should check out the digital foundry video on the recent path tracing update to Cyberpunk. Implementation of RT in most games hasn't been noteworthy so far but within the next decade or so it's gonna cause a huge visual leap when hardware gets good enough for full on path tracing to become the norm.

RT very well may develop and be something special in the future.  All I can say is with ps5 games, RT is meh at best with today's games. I'll take the fps and 120 hz all day.  Ratchet at 120 hz is a sight to behold.

For consoles RT has been meh cause they're not good at it due to using AMD hardware and at this point old AMD hardware. Currently it's a feature you can only get a proper experience with on PC. The gen 10 consoles should be when RT becomes a big deal on console.

I always thought GTA, including 5, was junk. The physics are god awful and the things you can do are largely meaningless. Zelda shines with physics and said system impacting the world.

Spindel said:
SvennoJ said:

When I was at my most competitive in GT Sport, changing tvs meant adapting all my brake points and turn in points again. The slight difference in display lag meant having to adjust my timing as well..

That does not sound like a frame rate issue but as a input lag issue. 

It was per illustration of why I think a steady frame rate is essential. If the slight difference in input lag between tvs already makes a difference, then dropping frames or variable frame rate would be just as bad for precision. With a locked frame rate you can expect to move exactly 1 meter forward each frame at 216kph (60 m/s). That steadiness makes it possible to fine tune brake and turn in points to the cm. But if say you have VRR going between 40 and 80 fps, now each frame you move between 1.5m and 75cm forward. Or when dropping to 30fps (dropping a frame) now the next frame you make a 2 meter jump, while the last 1 meter jump appeared 17ms too late.

30fps racing works fine too as long as input lag is kept low and zero judder. 30fps gets problematic when the frame time is sometimes 17ms, mostly 33ms and sometimes 50ms. (Delivering 30fps on average). Higher frame rates decreases judder (as well as VRR) but the real problem is needing a steady locked fps.

SvennoJ said:
Spindel said:

That does not sound like a frame rate issue but as a input lag issue. 

It was per illustration of why I think a steady frame rate is essential. If the slight difference in input lag between tvs already makes a difference, then dropping frames or variable frame rate would be just as bad for precision. With a locked frame rate you can expect to move exactly 1 meter forward each frame at 216kph (60 m/s). That steadiness makes it possible to fine tune brake and turn in points to the cm. But if say you have VRR going between 40 and 80 fps, now each frame you move between 1.5m and 75cm forward. Or when dropping to 30fps (dropping a frame) now the next frame you make a 2 meter jump, while the last 1 meter jump appeared 17ms too late.

30fps racing works fine too as long as input lag is kept low and zero judder. 30fps gets problematic when the frame time is sometimes 17ms, mostly 33ms and sometimes 50ms. (Delivering 30fps on average). Higher frame rates decreases judder (as well as VRR) but the real problem is needing a steady locked fps.

I wonder how much of this is deterimental to your in game performance and how much is only imagination (I’m not picking on you it’s meant as an open question). 

I’m willing to bet that most racing sims caps the simulation speed above a certain frame rate. And in a racing game, as in real world driving on a track, at high speeds just proceed to fast for you to visually interpet all that data anyway and you go by ”feeling” (or to use a more correct term: experience). So just because there is more visual data you actually don’t get more information just ”empty” frames that your brain still can’t process and filters away for you.

(real life example of your brain filtering and ”throwing away” data is speed blindness where after driving fast and slowing down to let’s say 50 km/h it feels like you are crawling because your brain is still in filter mode)