By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

Lol GTAV was dated when it came out. It uses PS2 era open world design and logic. It also has a glaring issue making the open world bit seem moot. You have to do missions in the specific order the game wants you to. The real concept of open world or at least the old term SANDBOX is you can do things in whatever order and how you want to do them. Ever play Elder Scrolls II? Guess what that's what BOTW & ToTK do.GTAV isn't very vertical. It has invisible walls everywhere. A very PS2-era design. Not to mention the shooting in that game is awful.

I'm not comparing games. I agree gtav gameplay is very dated and mission structure. but when it comes to detail and making the most believable real life modern city, they still have not been matched the amount of things to do is just staggering and is huge reason why it's at 180 million units sold.

https://youtu.be/_XZZdOLghlE

Copying real life locations to the best that PS3/360 could offer is an admirable effort from the devs, but the game itself in many ways bound by both the technology and design of the late 7th generation. Compared to more modern open world titles, its world is quite sparse and simple, its gameplay rather stiff, and it doesn't offer as much freedom.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I'm not comparing games. I agree gtav gameplay is very dated and mission structure. but when it comes to detail and making the most believable real life modern city, they still have not been matched the amount of things to do is just staggering and is huge reason why it's at 180 million units sold.

https://youtu.be/_XZZdOLghlE

Copying real life locations to the best that PS3/360 could offer is an admirable effort from the devs, but the game itself in many ways bound by both the technology and design of the late 7th generation. Compared to 

Have you actually finished the game? The freedom is pretty insane when you are just exploring the world. Flying helicopters, jet liners, and jets, boats. Almost everything is your play ground and I just showed a video comparing it to cyberpunk like I said the amount of things you can do is staggering and also they increased cars and pedestrians heavy on ps4 so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 09 June 2023

Ugh, Cp2077 is such an average by-the-numbers open-world game, best Cyberpunk game to come out in recent years is The Ascent. Deus EX HR and MD are better choices tho over CP2077. "They fixed it!" Still had bugs and constant crashes on PS5 for me and patches won't fix the awful writing of that game. Nor the very average mechanics and structure. I wish it was a better game as I love Cyberpunk in nature as a setting in games. Xenoblade X is one of the better open-world games out there. It is so free and vast plus flying mechs. Just wish it was on Switch. GTAV has invisible walls when flying. So dated. Realism is dull unimaginative and uninspired. I play games to escape that not gawk at it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Copying real life locations to the best that PS3/360 could offer is an admirable effort from the devs, but the game itself in many ways bound by both the technology and design of the late 7th generation. Compared to 

Have you actually finished the game? The freedom is pretty insane when you are just exploring the world. Flying helicopters, jet liners, and jets, boats. Almost everything is your play ground and I just showed a video comparing it to cyberpunk like I said the amount of things you can do is staggering and also they increased cars and pedestrians heavy on ps4 so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

I'm not saying it's not very impressive for its time, but due to its age some elements do date it such as being quite compartmentalized in terms of its mission structure and what you can interact with, plus feeling stiff and awkward to control compared to modern titles.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I'm not saying it's not very impressive for its time, but due to its age some elements do date it such as being quite compartmentalized in terms of its mission structure and what you can interact with, plus feeling stiff and awkward to control compared to modern titles.

My main point was we have the tech to blow gtav city out of the water but no one can do it cause of budget. Clearly the only game  that will probably will is gta6 and it cause its gonna have thr biggest budget in history if gaming.

Thinking about Red dead 2 does blow it away but that game is so limited in things you can do and it's not a fair comparison cause it's not really a modern city. All you do is ride a horse

As for zelda its running on a toaster. Next zelda will have both fidelity and perfomance mode for sure

Last edited by zeldaring - on 09 June 2023

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Ugh, Cp2077 is such an average by-the-numbers open-world game, best Cyberpunk game to come out in recent years is The Ascent. Deus EX HR and MD are better choices tho over CP2077. "They fixed it!" Still had bugs and constant crashes on PS5 for me and patches won't fix the awful writing of that game. Nor the very average mechanics and structure. I wish it was a better game as I love Cyberpunk in nature as a setting in games. Xenoblade X is one of the better open-world games out there. It is so free and vast plus flying mechs. Just wish it was on Switch. GTAV has invisible walls when flying. So dated. Realism is dull unimaginative and uninspired. I play games ?

The invisible wall comment is confusing me. these are jets that cam fly 30,000 feet are they suppose to let you travel to different countries or space

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

My main point was we have the tech to blow gtav city out of the water but no one can do it cause of budget. Clearly the only game  that will probably will is gta6 and it cause its gonna have thr biggest budget in history if gaming.

Thinking about Red dead 2 does blow it away but that game is so limited in things you can do and it's not a fair comparison cause it's not really a modern city. All you do is ride a horse

As for zelda its running on a toaster. Next zelda will have both fidelity and perfomance mode for sure

Plenty of open world games are surpassed what GTA5 does, from Red Dead 2 or the Horizon games in terms of graphics tech, to BOTW/TOTK in interactivity and freedom, to pretty much every modern open world game having better controls and more streamlined gameplay. It's not some unbeatable pinnacle, games have long since moved passed it in both design and technology.

And there's no way to tell yet if Nintendo will opt for the fidelity vs performance modes other big publishers have embraced. Switch 2 will not be as powerful as PS5 or Xbox Series after all.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Plenty of open world games are surpassed what GTA5 does, from Red Dead 2 or the Horizon games in terms of graphics tech, to BOTW/TOTK in interactivity and freedom, to pretty much every modern open world game having better controls and more streamlined gameplay. It's not some unbeatable pinnacle, games have long since moved passed.

Why is gtav still out selling everything then? There still hasn't been a replacement to make it irreverent  despite tech being 2 gens ahead now. When I talk about what makes gtav special. I'm  talking about its world and why people love it. Despite all its problems wth movement and combat being bad it still on every website top 5 open world games of all time

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Plenty of open world games are surpassed what GTA5 does, from Red Dead 2 or the Horizon games in terms of graphics tech, to BOTW/TOTK in interactivity and freedom, to pretty much every modern open world game having better controls and more streamlined gameplay. It's not some unbeatable pinnacle, games have long since moved passed.

Why is gtav still out selling everything then? There still hasn't been a replacement to make it irreverent  despite tech being 2 gens ahead now. When I talk about what makes gtav special. I'm  talking about its world and why people love it. Despite all its problems wth movement and combat being bad it still on every website top 5 open world games of all time

I never said it wasn't popular. But popularity has nothing to do with whether technology and design has advanced. Zelda Ocarina of Time is still held by many to be one the best games of all time, yet we've definitely advanced a long way since 1998.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I never said it wasn't popular. But popularity has nothing to do with whether technology and design has advanced. Zelda Ocarina of Time is still held by many to be one the best games of all time, yet we've definitely advanced a long way since 1998.

zelda didn't keep outselling every game for 10 years. Clearly you are not a fan of the game and don't get how impressive the world is and that's ok. If you are not a fan of real world settings in games you won't  understand.