By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not saying it's not very impressive for its time, but due to its age some elements do date it such as being quite compartmentalized in terms of its mission structure and what you can interact with, plus feeling stiff and awkward to control compared to modern titles.

My main point was we have the tech to blow gtav city out of the water but no one can do it cause of budget. Clearly the only game  that will probably will is gta6 and it cause its gonna have thr biggest budget in history if gaming.

Thinking about Red dead 2 does blow it away but that game is so limited in things you can do and it's not a fair comparison cause it's not really a modern city. All you do is ride a horse

As for zelda its running on a toaster. Next zelda will have both fidelity and perfomance mode for sure

And yet it will be GotY, potentially with relative ease.  

If I may offer some advice.  Stop restating your opinion a dozen times in a thread expecting others to agree.  Everyone got your point pages ago, nobody (including myself) agrees.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

Ugh, Cp2077 is such an average by-the-numbers open-world game, best Cyberpunk game to come out in recent years is The Ascent. Deus EX HR and MD are better choices tho over CP2077. "They fixed it!" Still had bugs and constant crashes on PS5 for me and patches won't fix the awful writing of that game. Nor the very average mechanics and structure. I wish it was a better game as I love Cyberpunk in nature as a setting in games. Xenoblade X is one of the better open-world games out there. It is so free and vast plus flying mechs. Just wish it was on Switch. GTAV has invisible walls when flying. So dated. Realism is dull unimaginative and uninspired. I play games ?

The invisible wall comment is confusing me. these are jets that cam fly 30,000 feet are they suppose to let you travel to different countries or space

It's a dated way of limiting the player than hard invisible walls. Xenoblade 3 you can just jump off a cliff into nowhere and just respawn back with no penalty. Many games just turn the player around. GTA you just die. The plane crashes midair. It's a PS2-era limitation still in a 2013 game. Some Xenoblade games when it comes to water put a soft wall. At some point the water becomes toxic and it gives you plenty of time to swim back. Other games do a similar technique but treat it like a conveyer belt so you can keep going but it doesn't allow you to be very far from shore even if you swam forever. Others even if you fly to the edge of the map you just pop up on the other side instead. Some put the barrier so far out the likely hood of you hitting it is rare as few test it. Even then they don't instantly kill you at all. Sometimes a game just gives an in-universe reason. But flat-out GTA invisible walls of nowhere and concrete bushes are so fucking dated. You should not punish the player for hitting the boundary of the game and also have some better indication of where they are.

Last edited by Leynos - on 09 June 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

The invisible wall comment is confusing me. these are jets that cam fly 30,000 feet are they suppose to let you travel to different countries or space

It's a dated way of limiting the player than hard invisible walls. Xenoblade 3 you can just jump off a cliff into nowhere and just respawn back with no penalty. Many games just turn the player around. GTA you just die. The plane crashes midair. It's a PS2-era limitation still in a 2013 game. Some Xenoblade games when it comes to water put a soft wall. At some point the water becomes toxic and it gives you plenty of time to swim back. Other games do a similar technique but treat it like a conveyer belt so you can keep going but it doesn't allow you to be very far from shore even if you swam forever. Others even if you fly to the edge of the map you just pop up on the other side instead. Some put the barrier so far out the likely hood of you hitting it is rare as few test it. Even then they don't instantly kill you at all. Sometimes a game just gives an in-universe reason. But flat-out GTA invisible walls of nowhere and concrete bushes are so fucking dated. You should not punish the player for hitting the boundary of the game and also have some better indication of where they are.

Honestly don't remember its been a long time.  It's minor issue but if it ruined for you. I understand I guess.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I never said it wasn't popular. But popularity has nothing to do with whether technology and design has advanced. Zelda Ocarina of Time is still held by many to be one the best games of all time, yet we've definitely advanced a long way since 1998.

zelda didn't keep outselling every game for 10 years. Clearly you are not a fan of the game and don't get how impressive the world is and that's ok. If you are not a fan of real world settings in games you won't  understand.

Wii Sports is one of the best selling games of all time, would you say that's a game that hasn't been exceeded? And you were the one who argued that sales didn't indicate quality when I pointed out that BOTW and TOTK were massive sales successes.

And I could just as easily flip that around and say maybe you just don't understand the ways in which open world games have improved since GTA5.

I get that you clearly love GTA5, but thinking that any genre will just stop advancing is silly.

GTA is just one of those brands too big to fail. GTAO is why it keeps selling and even that is a buggy mess. If popularity equaled good product then damn those Transformers and Fast and Furious Films must shit all over Citizen Kane! Michael Bay must write the best stories! Most well-developed characters and sophisticated humor! Final Fantasy doesn't fail even when it sucks and 13 and 15 sucked. Not flat out saying GTA5 sucks but sales aren't the best indicator of quality. Then we have to say Mcdonald's is the greatest food in the world even if it does make me gag.

Last edited by Leynos - on 09 June 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

zelda didn't keep outselling every game for 10 years. Clearly you are not a fan of the game and don't get how impressive the world is and that's ok. If you are not a fan of real world settings in games you won't  understand.

Wii Sports is one of the best selling games of all time, would you say that's a game that hasn't been exceeded? And you were the one who argued that sales didn't indicate quality when I pointed out that BOTW and TOTK were massive sales successes.

And I could just as easily flip that around and say maybe you just don't understand the ways in which open world games have improved since GTA5.

I get that you clearly love GTA5, but thinking that any genre will just stop advancing is silly.

I'm not in love with GTAV at all. You can criticize GTAV or zelda but clearly they are doing something that people love. You on other hand just say the game sells amazing so I don't wanna hear it because people clearly love it. GTAV can be made to be a much better game if they fixed the movement and  combat but that has nothing to with tech. The games can get much better but I just believe  it's gonna come from pushing graphics or physics. Zelda is a great example it's on old hardware pushing the best physics which plays into what im trying to day it's game design and not tech that will make these games much better.

Leynos said:

GTA is just one of those brands too big to fail. GTAO is why it keeps selling and even that is a buggy mess. If popularity equaled good product then damn those Transformers and Fast and Furious Films must shit all over Citizen Kane! Michael Bay must write the best stories! Most well-developed characters and sophisticated humor! Final Fantasy doesn't fail even when it sucks and 13 and 15 sucked. Not flat out saying GTA5 sucks but sales aren't the best indicator of quality. Then we have to say Mcdonald's is the greatest food in the world even if it does make me gag.

GTAV is not even a top 10 game for me but I recognize it still has the best open world city in gaming  and that's why people love it.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not in love with GTAV at all. You can criticize GTAV or zelda but clearly they are doing something that people love. You on other hand just say the game sells amazing so I don't wanna hear it because people clearly love it. GTAV can be made to be a much better game if they fixed the movement and  combat but that has nothing to with tech. The games can get much better but I just believe  it's gonna come from pushing graphics or physics. Zelda is a great example it's on old hardware pushing the best physics which plays into what im trying to day it's game design and not tech that will make these games much better.

I never said people didn't love GTA5. It is dated in terms of tech though, that's not a criticism, it's just a simple fact for any game that is ten years old.

I'm not quite sure I understand your argument; first you say that there's no been no advancement since GTA5 and open world games are as good as they're gonna get, then you say that GTA5  "can be made to a much better game if they fixed the movement and combat but that has nothing to do with tech", then you say that games can get better but that "it's gonna come from pushing graphics or physics" (which is tech) then you say that "it's game design and not tech that will make these games much better."

No offense but your posts aren't making sense.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I never said people didn't love GTA5. It is dated in terms of tech though, that's not a criticism, it's just a simple fact for any game that is ten years old.

I'm not quite sure I understand your argument; first you say that there's no been no advancement since GTA5 and open world games are as good as they're gonna get, then you say that GTA5  "can be made to a much better game if they fixed the movement and combat but that has nothing to do with tech", then you say that games can get better but that "it's gonna come from pushing graphics or physics" (which is tech) then you say that "it's game design and not tech that will make these games much better."

Zelda is dated in terms of tech cause its on hardware that much weaker then ps4 that came out in 2013 but it makes up for with physics and being fun. Remember if the physics of zelda can run on toaster then is it tech that's pushing it or game design? Mean while cyberpunk which is a game with massive budget and one of the best developers made a buggy mess  cause of trying to focus on tech. Understand where I'm going Here focusing on game design will be much better then tech and that's the problem with open world games and now u want to push the envelope even more so we can get buggy games that already take forever 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Zelda is dated in terms of tech cause its on hardware that much weaker then ps4 that came out in 2013 but it makes up for with physics and being fun. Remember if the physics of zelda can run on toaster then is it tech that's pushing it or game design? Mean while cyberpunk which is a game with massive budget and one of the best developers made a buggy mess  cause of trying to focus on tech. Understand where I'm going Here focusing on game design will be much better then tech and that's the problem with open world games and now u want to push the envelope even more so we can get buggy games that already take forever 

Both design and technology are constantly advancing, that's my point.

And to bring it back to the actual topic, it doesn't matter how powerful hardware gets, you will always be able to do twice as much with 30fps than with 60fps, that's just a mathematical fact that no amount of processing power can change.