By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - TOTK Exceeds 10M Global Sell-Through in 3-Days

Biggerboat1 said:
Slownenberg said:

Agreed on that. I can't believe it only hit 1 million. I thought that first quarter sales would be double that.

Especially considered the graphics were completely remade to look modern and it was only $40 when Nintendo would normally absolutely charge $60 for it. Like, it's totally a must buy for any bigtime Nintendo fan. But time and time again we see people just aren't interested in Metroid for whatever reason. Dread probably only did so well (still by did so well we are only talking 3+ million) because of how popular 2D Metroidvanias are these days.

Makes me worried about how Prime 4 will do. I mean of course there are gonna be plenty of people who didn't both getting Prime remaster because they played it back in the day, and maybe even still have their GC or Wii copies. Or just didn't bother cuz its an old game. But ya gotta figure a good amount of the people who would buy Prime 4 are the people who would buy Prime Remastered, and there were only a million of them in the first month and a half. And given that Metroid doesn't tend to have much in the way of legs, I doubt Prime Remastered will ever hit 2 million, especially since now THE game to get for the rest of the year is TotK. I was hoping Prime 4 would build on Dread's success and break 5 million, but now I wonder if it'll even sell as much as Dread.

And then of course there's always the worry that Prime 4 will get delayed to launch in the first few months of next gen rather than on Switch and launch on a system with <10m sales as opposed to like 135-140m sales. Being a launch title or nearly launch title might help it out some, but not likely compared to launching with the third largest user base ever, and especially if MK9 and 3D Mario are the other two AAA launch/near-launch titles next gen, as those are much more mainstream than Metroid and would take most of the hype for launch games.

I feel like the timing was all wrong for a remastered metroid prime. The switch's old mobile hardware is hardly the best place to get pulses pounding with a visual overhaul.

To me it'd have been much better served being launched early on in the system's life when there was some genuine excitement & curiosity about what the hardware could do, or hold out for switch 2, when again the system's capabilities will be most novel. 

Eh, I mean I don't think its graphics that get people excited for Metroid. And no matter what time of the life cycle it is on any Nintendo hybrid system, its still gonna be a handheld system and therefore much less powerful than the current consoles. So at no point is any Nintendo game going to be pushing cutting edge graphics. Like if MP4 is delayed to be a launch game for Switch 2, for example, it'll have great graphics sure, but it's not gonna be console-level graphics, it'll have the level of graphics that console owners have had for a decade. Nobody is buying Switch and Switch games to get pulses pounding with visuals, even though plenty of games (like Prime Remastered) look fantastic on Switch, you're always gonna go console if you want to be blown away by visuals.

This is just the best a fully remastered 20 year old Prime could do. 120+ million user base and it could only have a month and a half launch total of just over a million. It may have helped if Nintendo promoted it and marketed it instead of just announcing it the day of the release like its some small indie game, even though it was cool to be able to play the game the day it was announced it probably isn't ideal for marketing and sales.

Metroid just frankly isn't that popular, unfortunately.

Around the Network

Their second-highest opening ever, comparable to Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
This vindicates Nintendo's pricing strategy. While it could be risky to price virtually every future Nintendo release at $70, it's going to be common on the next system. And with this landmark success of Tears of the Kingdom, we might see more pricing like this on the Switch. If Mario Kart 9 is cross-gen, they still might price it at $70 on the Switch, despite inferior specs.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Slownenberg said:
Biggerboat1 said:
Slownenberg said:

Agreed on that. I can't believe it only hit 1 million. I thought that first quarter sales would be double that.

Especially considered the graphics were completely remade to look modern and it was only $40 when Nintendo would normally absolutely charge $60 for it. Like, it's totally a must buy for any bigtime Nintendo fan. But time and time again we see people just aren't interested in Metroid for whatever reason. Dread probably only did so well (still by did so well we are only talking 3+ million) because of how popular 2D Metroidvanias are these days.

Makes me worried about how Prime 4 will do. I mean of course there are gonna be plenty of people who didn't both getting Prime remaster because they played it back in the day, and maybe even still have their GC or Wii copies. Or just didn't bother cuz its an old game. But ya gotta figure a good amount of the people who would buy Prime 4 are the people who would buy Prime Remastered, and there were only a million of them in the first month and a half. And given that Metroid doesn't tend to have much in the way of legs, I doubt Prime Remastered will ever hit 2 million, especially since now THE game to get for the rest of the year is TotK. I was hoping Prime 4 would build on Dread's success and break 5 million, but now I wonder if it'll even sell as much as Dread.

And then of course there's always the worry that Prime 4 will get delayed to launch in the first few months of next gen rather than on Switch and launch on a system with <10m sales as opposed to like 135-140m sales. Being a launch title or nearly launch title might help it out some, but not likely compared to launching with the third largest user base ever, and especially if MK9 and 3D Mario are the other two AAA launch/near-launch titles next gen, as those are much more mainstream than Metroid and would take most of the hype for launch games.

I feel like the timing was all wrong for a remastered metroid prime. The switch's old mobile hardware is hardly the best place to get pulses pounding with a visual overhaul.

To me it'd have been much better served being launched early on in the system's life when there was some genuine excitement & curiosity about what the hardware could do, or hold out for switch 2, when again the system's capabilities will be most novel. 

Eh, I mean I don't think its graphics that get people excited for Metroid. And no matter what time of the life cycle it is on any Nintendo hybrid system, its still gonna be a handheld system and therefore much less powerful than the current consoles. So at no point is any Nintendo game going to be pushing cutting edge graphics. Like if MP4 is delayed to be a launch game for Switch 2, for example, it'll have great graphics sure, but it's not gonna be console-level graphics, it'll have the level of graphics that console owners have had for a decade. Nobody is buying Switch and Switch games to get pulses pounding with visuals, even though plenty of games (like Prime Remastered) look fantastic on Switch, you're always gonna go console if you want to be blown away by visuals.

This is just the best a fully remastered 20 year old Prime could do. 120+ million user base and it could only have a month and a half launch total of just over a million. It may have helped if Nintendo promoted it and marketed it instead of just announcing it the day of the release like its some small indie game, even though it was cool to be able to play the game the day it was announced it probably isn't ideal for marketing and sales.

Metroid just frankly isn't that popular, unfortunately.

I agree a marketing push would have helped but I disagree that switch owners don't care about fidelity. I mean the whole point of this remaster is the modernising of the visuals.

How many copies do you think that it'd have sold if it was just a straight-up gamecube port?

You judge every platform on its own merits, there have been many switch games that have been lauded for their visuals, not because they stand up to playstation & xbox but because they're accomplishments in their own right on a platform that's restricted for obvious reasons. 

I'd even extend the same argument for the home consoles, interest in what the new boxes can do will be at peak shortly after their release - will we be seeing as many remasters on those platforms when their successors are a year or two out? I'd suggest not. 

Wman1996 said:

This vindicates Nintendo's pricing strategy. While it could be risky to price virtually every future Nintendo release at $70, it's going to be common on the next system. And with this landmark success of Tears of the Kingdom, we might see more pricing like this on the Switch. If Mario Kart 9 is cross-gen, they still might price it at $70 on the Switch, despite inferior specs.

I really don't think we'll see $70 become normal. They knew they could do it with TotK because it was pretty much the most anticipated title in the industry of the past half decade. And they obviously put in a huge amount of time and work to improve upon a revolutionary game.

I think this will be the only $70 game we see on the Switch. Though I think we could see a few next gen - the next Zelda, maybe 3D Mario, maybe Mario Kart, maybe Smash Bros. That's probably about it. Just AAA games that they know everyone is going to be and people may gripe about paying a bit extra but they are gonna buy it anyway cuz its Zelda or Mario or Mario Kart or Smash and you gotta have those games.

Slownenberg said:
Wman1996 said:

I really don't think we'll see $70 become normal. They knew they could do it with TotK because it was pretty much the most anticipated title in the industry of the past half decade. And they obviously put in a huge amount of time and work to improve upon a revolutionary game.

I think this will be the only $70 game we see on the Switch. Though I think we could see a few next gen - the next Zelda, maybe 3D Mario, maybe Mario Kart, maybe Smash Bros. That's probably about it. Just AAA games that they know everyone is going to be and people may gripe about paying a bit extra but they are gonna buy it anyway cuz its Zelda or Mario or Mario Kart or Smash and you gotta have those games.

Fair. But if Nintendo is willing to charge full price for Wii U ports on Switch, then $70 as the standard (or close to it) on the next system seems pretty inevitable. I agree with the titles you mentioned. But some others I wouldn't rule out being $70...

-Splatoon 4, Pokemon Gen 10, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade Chronicles 4, Fire Emblem

I really struggle to see a 2D Kirby game at $70, I guess. But if Star Allies is $60, then Kirby going up to $70 in the future doesn't sound so crazy.

And if Sony can charge $70 for The Last of Us Part I (to be fair, running on at least a generation and a half more capable hardware than the Switch), it's just going to continue to be more common in the industry as well. 

While Nintendo is very stubborn, I also would not find it unbelievable for them to charge $70 for a game (or most new releases over a year), see it underperform, and backpedal. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Some of the games TOTK has outsold the lifetime sales of in just 3 days:

- Mario Kart 64
- Super Mario Bros 2
- Donkey Kong Country
- Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
- Pokemon Black and White 2
- Pokemon Platinum
- Smash Bros 3DS
- Smash Bros Melee
- Goldeneye 007

kinda of mind blowing how games are selling these days. Mario 64, golden eye 007 and Zelda oot 64. were the most revolutionary 3d games ever.

Shaunodon said:
haxxiy said:

I wish people enjoyed Metroidvanias as much as they enjoy open-world games. Sigh...

Metroid Prime Remastered struggling pass 1mil is a crime against gaming. It translated Metroidvania level/world design into 3D like no other game still ever has. I only hope Metroid Prime 4 being made specifically for Switch, is eye-catching enough to make people see what they're missing.

The fact people even complained about a near-remake of an all-time masterpiece, already being sold at reduced cost, just because it wasn't bundled as a trilogy...

I must admit I was guilty as charged in this one. It came out of nowhere with a delayed physical launch that had no preorders when I looked for it, so I kind of forgot to buy before RE4, etc. dragged my interest away. Like I played MP already so why the rush right?

I'll still buy if I find the physical later this year, but it was a rather poor launch strategy IMO (which also happened for all MP games after the first one, really).

Forever Nintendo

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Anyone have a guess as to when Nintendo will let us know an updated sales figure. I’m sure we’ll get something in a future financial briefing, but I mean something closer in time like one month from release.