By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - TOTK Exceeds 10M Global Sell-Through in 3-Days

It's insane how Zelda like God of War used to sell so much less than it deserved and now both are doing so well.
It always felt like they were way more popular than their sales used to show, which is indeed the case now.

Around the Network

WOM is through the roof. I doubt its too far below 20M shipped by 6/30/23, if at all. Shipments by 5/15 would have had to exceed this 10M figure so we're looking at needing 8-9M shipped over the next 45 days.

Being the fastest selling Nintendo game ever in Americas/Europe is just incredible.
Bigger than any Pokemon, any Mario, any Smash Bros, for a series that used to top out around 8 million. Mind boggling.

BraLoD said:

It's insane how Zelda like God of War used to sell so much less than it deserved and now both are doing so well.
It always felt like they were way more popular than their sales used to show, which is indeed the case now.

Funny you mention God of War, I gave up on that despite loving all the ones before it. The latest one just can't hold my attention. And now the same is happening with Zelda :/ Yeah it could very well be front loaded based on previous success of BotW. My wife and kids can't get into TotK either, while all of them played and finished BotW. We had to fight for the Switch at the time! Currently I like the TotK controller more than the game itself.

SvennoJ said:
BraLoD said:

Funny you mention God of War, I gave up on that despite loving all the ones before it. The latest one just can't hold my attention. And now the same is happening with Zelda :/ Yeah it could very well be front loaded based on previous success of BotW. My wife and kids can't get into TotK either, while all of them played and finished BotW. We had to fight for the Switch at the time! Currently I like the TotK controller more than the game itself.

Well, I'm still to play TotK soon, so I'm yet to know that for myself, but I could barely put GoW Raganarok aside when I started playing it, like pretty much all the other ones before it.

BotW was the same after some time, I stopped playing it for around 3 months once I got to the main part of the world, but when I got back to it I really hardly put it down, so I'm expecting the same from TotK.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
SvennoJ said:

Well, I'm still to play TotK soon, so I'm yet to know that for myself, but I could barely put GoW Raganarok aside when I started playing it, like pretty much all the other ones before it.

BotW was the same after some time, I stopped playing it for around 3 months once I got to the main part of the world, but when I got back to it I really hardly put it down, so I'm expecting the same from TotK.

Haven't started on TotK yet. Probably won't get around to it until later this summer. But yeah BotW is the kind of game it feels like I could almost play forever haha. It's easily the biggest game I've ever played, and I can spend hours exploring just a small piece of the map with barely even advancing (like knocking out shrines). I expect TotK will be like that but with even more to do. When I play BotW hours pass by and it is hard to put down. The first week I played it I put 50 hours into the game which is definitely the most I've ever played a game in a week, hell the vast majority of games would be over by that time, and yet I was still early on in my adventure in BotW.

Back in 2020 I'd hear how people play AC to relax as just like a regular part of their day. AC is too like non-competitive for me, I want some action and interest in my games. For me that's what BotW is like. I can play it for hours, exploring the huge world and searching for new things and fighting enemies just to relax. I fear how much of my time and for how many months TotK is gonna take over of my life once I start it haha. I'm gonna have to limit my play sessions to a couple hours at a time.

haxxiy said:
PAOerfulone said:

Pre-Switch: Zelda never had a game that reached 9 million lifetime
Now: Tears of the Kingdom exceeds 10 million in just the opening weekend.

Financially speaking, the Switch and Breath of the Wild are the two best things that ever happened to the franchise.

I wish people enjoyed Metroidvanias as much as they enjoy open-world games. Sigh...

Metroid Prime Remastered struggling pass 1mil is a crime against gaming. It translated Metroidvania level/world design into 3D like no other game still ever has. I only hope Metroid Prime 4 being made specifically for Switch, is eye-catching enough to make people see what they're missing.

The fact people even complained about a near-remake of an all-time masterpiece, already being sold at reduced cost, just because it wasn't bundled as a trilogy...

Shaunodon said:
haxxiy said:

I wish people enjoyed Metroidvanias as much as they enjoy open-world games. Sigh...

Metroid Prime Remastered struggling pass 1mil is a crime against gaming. It translated Metroidvania level/world design into 3D like no other game still ever has. I only hope Metroid Prime 4 being made specifically for Switch, is eye-catching enough to make people see what they're missing.

The fact people even complained about a near-remake of an all-time masterpiece, already being sold at reduced cost, just because it wasn't bundled as a trilogy...

Agreed on that. I can't believe it only hit 1 million. I thought that first quarter sales would be double that.

Especially considered the graphics were completely remade to look modern and it was only $40 when Nintendo would normally absolutely charge $60 for it. Like, it's totally a must buy for any bigtime Nintendo fan. But time and time again we see people just aren't interested in Metroid for whatever reason. Dread probably only did so well (still by did so well we are only talking 3+ million) because of how popular 2D Metroidvanias are these days.

Makes me worried about how Prime 4 will do. I mean of course there are gonna be plenty of people who didn't both getting Prime remaster because they played it back in the day, and maybe even still have their GC or Wii copies. Or just didn't bother cuz its an old game. But ya gotta figure a good amount of the people who would buy Prime 4 are the people who would buy Prime Remastered, and there were only a million of them in the first month and a half. And given that Metroid doesn't tend to have much in the way of legs, I doubt Prime Remastered will ever hit 2 million, especially since now THE game to get for the rest of the year is TotK. I was hoping Prime 4 would build on Dread's success and break 5 million, but now I wonder if it'll even sell as much as Dread.

And then of course there's always the worry that Prime 4 will get delayed to launch in the first few months of next gen rather than on Switch and launch on a system with <10m sales as opposed to like 135-140m sales. Being a launch title or nearly launch title might help it out some, but not likely compared to launching with the third largest user base ever, and especially if MK9 and 3D Mario are the other two AAA launch/near-launch titles next gen, as those are much more mainstream than Metroid and would take most of the hype for launch games.

To me the real headline is that it's highest launch of any Nintendo title in both the Americas and Europe.  Think of every title it had to beat: every Pokemon, every Mario Kart, every 2D Mario, Wii Sports Resort, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and any other title with a gigantic launch that I may have left out.

Recall last year how surprising Elden Ring's sales were.  There is this narrative that Japanese games sell to Japan and Western games sell to the West.  The West doesn't seem to have any problem buying a Japanese game when it's an open-world, fantasy game.

Slownenberg said:
Shaunodon said:

Agreed on that. I can't believe it only hit 1 million. I thought that first quarter sales would be double that.

Especially considered the graphics were completely remade to look modern and it was only $40 when Nintendo would normally absolutely charge $60 for it. Like, it's totally a must buy for any bigtime Nintendo fan. But time and time again we see people just aren't interested in Metroid for whatever reason. Dread probably only did so well (still by did so well we are only talking 3+ million) because of how popular 2D Metroidvanias are these days.

Makes me worried about how Prime 4 will do. I mean of course there are gonna be plenty of people who didn't both getting Prime remaster because they played it back in the day, and maybe even still have their GC or Wii copies. Or just didn't bother cuz its an old game. But ya gotta figure a good amount of the people who would buy Prime 4 are the people who would buy Prime Remastered, and there were only a million of them in the first month and a half. And given that Metroid doesn't tend to have much in the way of legs, I doubt Prime Remastered will ever hit 2 million, especially since now THE game to get for the rest of the year is TotK. I was hoping Prime 4 would build on Dread's success and break 5 million, but now I wonder if it'll even sell as much as Dread.

And then of course there's always the worry that Prime 4 will get delayed to launch in the first few months of next gen rather than on Switch and launch on a system with <10m sales as opposed to like 135-140m sales. Being a launch title or nearly launch title might help it out some, but not likely compared to launching with the third largest user base ever, and especially if MK9 and 3D Mario are the other two AAA launch/near-launch titles next gen, as those are much more mainstream than Metroid and would take most of the hype for launch games.

I feel like the timing was all wrong for a remastered metroid prime. The switch's old mobile hardware is hardly the best place to get pulses pounding with a visual overhaul.

To me it'd have been much better served being launched early on in the system's life when there was some genuine excitement & curiosity about what the hardware could do, or hold out for switch 2, when again the system's capabilities will be most novel.