By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

Kakadu18 said:

Fusion significantly altered the combat system.

how? i'm looking for game to have good combat not keeping me in menus  mixing shit. combat looks exactly the same as BOTW

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Kakadu18 said:

how? i'm looking for game to have good combat not keeping me in menus  mixing shit. combat looks exactly the same as BOTW

You can fuse a bomb to a rocket and send it at an enemy. I don’t know any other game that lets me do that. And that isn’t me stuck in a menu mixing shit. 

So fusing a bomb to a rocket is good combat to you? I Mean to each his own but I'm talking about skill bases combat in botw the combat is very simple and boring

https://youtube.com/shorts/F-1wls0CxH8?feature=share

Can you do in any game? And that requires mad skill

Kakadu18 said:

Yep, by basically turning into turn based combat, at least for the bow lol.
It's not like we didn't have flaming and bomb arrows before. Now it's an extra step to make them on the fly, one by one.
Flame emitter on a shield makes a nice flame thrower though. Sets half the field on fire just to light a camp fire :)

SvennoJ said:
Kakadu18 said:

Yep, by basically turning into turn based combat, at least for the bow lol.
It's not like we didn't have flaming and bomb arrows before. Now it's an extra step to make them on the fly, one by one.
Flame emitter on a shield makes a nice flame thrower though. Sets half the field on fire just to light a camp fire :)

There are literally dozens of different plants and other items with different unique properties that you can fuse to arrows and weapons and shields. It's not just elemental arrows and bomb arrows.

You don't need to use a flamethrower to light up a campfire. There are a whole bunch of other ways, several of which were already in BotW. And you don't need to fuse it to a shield for that either.

But you're still in the tutorial, so you wouldn't know.

I literally just press up on the d-pad and the last used item like for example the flame fruit gets instantly fused to my arrow. It can be very fast when using the same item repeatedly. Nothing takes forever there and there are several ways to sort the items to find things faster. I don't get why some people think that it slows down combat significantly because it barely does for me and even so, what other way do you propose they do it other than selling 300 different arrow types in every store?

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

So fusing a bomb to a rocket is good combat to you? I Mean to each his own but I'm talking about skill bases combat in botw the combat is very simple and boring

If you find it boring then don't play it. I recommend Astral Chain for a more combat focused action game on Switch.

zeldaring said:

Skill based combat in a Zelda game? I don’t see how the combat in BOTW is anything less than previous Zelda games. Maybe you are trying to put your Elden Ring in your Zelda?

zeldaring said:

I am happy to experience From combat in From games. But there is more than one way to do interesting combat. And TotK has implemented one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

super_etecoon said:
zeldaring said:

Skill based combat in a Zelda game? I don’t see how the combat in BOTW is anything less than previous Zelda games. Maybe you are trying to put your Elden Ring in your Zelda?

Anything that isn't like Bloodborne or Sekiro is boring to him.

GOW, ghost of tushami, and spider man have pretty good combat as well. Zelda combat was descent in 2017 but now many open world games have good combat. almost everyone thinks that combat is one of botw weaker points. I'm really impressed with Sony in that regard. Cause that was why I hated most open world games cause the combat usually sicks like in red dead 2 and gtav is just awful even though everyone loves those games.