By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

Bayonetta 3 makes the Switch look outdated. The ambition and scale were too much for the aging hardware, and the game actually looks worse than Bayonetta 2 as a result even though 2 was designed around even weaker hardware.

Zelda doesn't have that problem. It doesn't have worse textures than the previous game to accommodate its larger scale like Bayonetta does. The cell-shaded artstyle means it doesn't need the highest-quality textures or highest polygon models to look good. But it still has BOTW's strengths in having so much actually modeled grass and such an extensive and robust physics system, along with improved draw distance and other small improvements that add up.

If the problem is that the game has noticeable aliasing or looks blurry on a 72-inch 4k tv, that's not the game's fault. That's been an issue for the Switch since the day it launched, which was a year after 4k tvs started becoming mainstream.

Tears of the Kingdom for the most part looks like it's in-between a high-end PS360 game and a low-end PS4-XB1 game, which is the expected level for a high-end Switch game. It doesn't have the high resolution textures the Crysis trilogy somehow got out of the Switch, but it's still doing things that are extremely impressive by any standard, not just for the Switch. And the fact that such a large open-world game with such advanced physics and interactive systems is so stable is an incredible feat that has the entire industry standing up to take notice.

Around the Network

It really does. I've seen a GTX 1660 Super can do native 4K with perfect 30 fps lock in Yuzu.

Meanwhile Switch does run at 900p but it's dynamic and drops to around 720p, and frame-rate drops to 20 as well in some areas.

Ultrahand makes fps drop to 20 in pretty much every area.

This pretty much confirms Switch is just a bit more powerful Wii U with 4 GB of RAM, considering the game looks barely any better than BoTW, a Wii U game.

I really hope Switch 2 is coming in Spring of 2024.

Something to keep in mind with the Wii U is that the system was more powerful when running Breath of the Wild than it was when running other games. For all other games, only 1 gb of RAM was available, whereas BOTW used all 2gb the Wii U had. Given that the game ran at a lower resolution and had bigger framerate problems on the Wii U despite that, it's safe to assume that that extra gigabyte of memory was essential to getting it running on that hardware and it would have been hopelessly compromised if it had to work within the same hardware restrictions as every other Wii U game. To this day I'm amazed BOTW can run on the Wii U at all, let alone be playable, given everything that game does. Tears of the Kingdom may not be a generational leap over BOTW, but t improves on the visuals in multiple ways that do make for a game that is quite a bit more technically demanding than the older game.

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

Remaster of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker was soft as they are still only 1080P outputs... Which -is- noticeable on high resolution and large panels.

What gives Wind Waker an "edge" so to speak is it's flat shading and simplistic geometry which downplays upscaling/aliasing noise in the image rather significantly... That and Nintendo obliterated the dithering issue that plagued the original release.

But it's still soft. Aliasing is still there, it's just not as noticeable.

But we only had 1080p tvs when the remaster came out, matching the current state of TVs again. It was the sharpest possible at the time. But yeah, playing it now on a 4K screen obviously makes it look softer again due to upscaling, still sharper than upscaling from 900p...

There are more things where Nintendo is behind the times. No calibration options in game, no brightness/contrast, no text size options. I find it hard to read the instructions from the couch, also not helped by the low contrast and upscaling. And apparently it doesn't save what you build? I made a super long bridge to reach more places on sky island, went back in the first shrine to trigger a save, popped back out and everything was reset :/

There is an ability that you can get that saves your builds and then you auto rebuild them. Obviously entering a shrine resets stuff. And you don't need to enter the shrine for sn autosave. It saves as soon as you get close to the shrine and the name pops up, it says saving in the corner below the location name.

What's that about Link's hair anyway, that's just anime-style hair.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

What's that about Link's hair anyway, that's just anime-style hair.

Sometimes it looks like a dirty blonde blob on his head.  It is worst early in the game though, as the scenery is super yellow, and his hair doesn't contrast well with the general color scheme in that area.  It isn't as noticable to me now as it was early on (or maybe I've just gotten used to it).

h2ohno said:

And the fact that such a large open-world game with such advanced physics and interactive systems is so stable is an incredible feat that has the entire industry standing up to take notice.

TOTK uses a simplified version of the Havok Physics SDK, so the software suite is quite well-known.

The merit of Aonuma's crew was making a very creative use of it. Imagine what they could come up with, say, UE5's Chaos Physics. It would also definitely not be possible on much older hardware than the Switch's Tegra.

Switch has had a good run, but yeah looking at TotK, Xenoblade 3, and Bayonetta 3, it's pretty clear it's time for Nintendo to move up a the ladder with better hardware, they're hitting up against the very roof of the current hardware, they need a generational leap, especially probably the next Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc. games. 

dane007 said:
tsogud said:

I agree, it definitely looks dated but I find it charming. The only issues I have is the 30fps and the drops below 30fps and the low resolution.

Whats wrong with 30fps on switch? . For what its worth 30fps is coompletely fine in most games. What about resolution? The screen is tiny so 720p to 1080p is okay . Most games hit that target. Alot of games hold a locked 30fps. I am playing a big open world jrpg with no fps drop and the res is quite sharp.

Okay? Good for you. If you read my post it says "the only issues I HAVE..." The topic is about switch and the game feeling dated. Low resolution and 30 fps with dips in 2023 does feel dated to me. I'm glad you enjoy it tho. Even tho it feels dated I'm having fun playing it.

Last edited by tsogud - on 18 May 2023

The thing is, it was already the case with BotW, people kept prasing the style but the game was really, REALLY dated already back in 2017.
We had Horizon Zero Dawn in the same timeframe and it was really baffling how these two games looked like from two completely different eras.