By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

Drakrami said:

Switch is dated - yes. But Nintendo cheaping out on the hardware every generation just exacerbates the problem. 

They didn't really "cheap out" on the Switch; it was quite capable for a mobile platform at its time and price point. It's more that portables simply cannot be as powerful as dedicated consoles due to the laws of physics.

Around the Network

Seems to be working out ok for nintendo. Their 2 most underpowered consoles ( Wii and Switch ) are the best selling.

I agree, it definitely looks dated but I find it charming. The only issues I have is the 30fps and the drops below 30fps and the low resolution.

SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

I tend not to use my Switch in Handheld... But I am gaming it on my PC monitor which is a pretty average 32" 1440P/144hz panel and it looks soft.

Haven't tried it on my 85" 4k TV yet.

Game looks "fine". - It's definitely got a noisy/pixelated presentation.

But it's a Nintendo game as well, you can't expect super sharp visuals.

Well Windwaker had super sharp visuals in the remaster, but also looked great on TV when it came out, matching the tv standard at the time.

I'm gonna fiddle with the tv settings,my main issue is the low contrast, maybe it's as simple (and archaic) as the TV expecting Full RGB while the Switch is outputting limited RGB range. At least that's what it looks like. I thought those days were over!

It's not that, Switch is set to full, tv is auto but only changes when i switch it to limited so is also in Full.

I also tested surround sound as TotK should have 5.1, but no settings in game. Good thing I did as for some reason that input was set to 7ch stereo doh. At least it sounds 3D now :) Picture still looks rather dull, like when games thought less contrast is more realistic... Maybe it gets better on the ground.

Remaster of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker was soft as they are still only 1080P outputs... Which -is- noticeable on high resolution and large panels.

What gives Wind Waker an "edge" so to speak is it's flat shading and simplistic geometry which downplays upscaling/aliasing noise in the image rather significantly... That and Nintendo obliterated the dithering issue that plagued the original release.

But it's still soft. Aliasing is still there, it's just not as noticeable.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

curl-6 said:
Drakrami said:

Switch is dated - yes. But Nintendo cheaping out on the hardware every generation just exacerbates the problem. 

They didn't really "cheap out" on the Switch; it was quite capable for a mobile platform at its time and price point. It's more that portables simply cannot be as powerful as dedicated consoles due to the laws of physics.

Uhhh.. Microsoft/Sony losses something like 50-100USD per console they sell right out of release year. 

While Nintendo profits something like 100USD per console they sell right out of release year. 

Reason? Beause Nintendo cheaps out on hardware. They charge you 300USD for the console, but it costs something like 200USD. While Microsoft/Sony's consoles costs 500USD to make. 200USD vs 500USD cost to make console, is there not a more obvious cheap out than this? 

Above numbers are estimates, but not far from actual numbers I bet. 

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
curl-6 said:

Uhhh.. Microsoft/Sony losses something like 50-100USD per console they sell right out of release year. 

While Nintendo profits something like 100USD per console they sell right out of release year. 

Reason? Beause Nintendo cheaps out on hardware. They charge you 300USD for the console, but it costs something like 200USD. While Microsoft/Sony's consoles costs 500USD to make. 200USD vs 500USD cost to make console, is there not a more obvious cheap out than this? 

Making a profit on hardware isn't cheap. Nintendo don't have as many different revenue streams as Sony or MS, it's not unreasonable of them to want to avoid bleeding money on othe ones they do have.

Sony/MS don't lose money on hardware because they care about gamers or because they're the good guys, they do it because they want to maximise the money they make from subscriptions and software by growing their install base.

Drakrami said:
curl-6 said:

You would be the worst business man.

tsogud said:

I agree, it definitely looks dated but I find it charming. The only issues I have is the 30fps and the drops below 30fps and the low resolution.

Whats wrong with 30fps on switch? . For what its worth 30fps is coompletely fine in most games. What about resolution? The screen is tiny so 720p to 1080p is okay . Most games hit that target. Alot of games hold a locked 30fps. I am playing a big open world jrpg with no fps drop and the res is quite sharp.

curl-6 said:

I'm honestly so glad my brain doesn't work this way.
I can't imagine having a game this magical ruined for me because the trees or Link's hair aren't advanced enough. Those are the last things on my mind when I'm playing.

It's like when Mario Galaxy came out on the Wii; sure, it was a generation behind PS3 and 360 graphically, but that didn't matter when it was one of the best games I'd ever played.

I'm honestly so glad my brain doesn't work that way. I can't imagine something being ruined for me just because I find a few things that could be better about it. 

Kakadu18 said:
VAMatt said:

That's not too far off from the truth.  I do think it's at least a very good game, possibly a great one. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to criticize.  The thread was intended to let people express their opinions about the graphics of the game and the Switch hardware, and even the game in general. It seems to have largely succeeded at that. 

Some people are unable of doing anything other than arguing on the internet. So no discussion is ever perfect.  

I think criticizing something and making overexagerated and bad faith comparisons like you did are two very different things.

I would agree agree that making over exaggerated and bad faith comparisons are different than criticizing. But, I don't agree that I did those things, especially the bad faith part.