By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

curl-6 said:

I'm honestly so glad my brain doesn't work this way.
I can't imagine having a game this magical ruined for me because the trees or Link's hair aren't advanced enough. Those are the last things on my mind when I'm playing.

It's like when Mario Galaxy came out on the Wii; sure, it was a generation behind PS3 and 360 graphically, but that didn't matter when it was one of the best games I'd ever played.

Yes. 100%

It would be so awful to be the kind of person who can't appreciate one of the best games in years simply because it looks great but not nearly as great as games on newer consoles lol. I like how these people always think they are telling something important by pointing out that a handheld system is not as powerful as a console.

Whenever I play my Switch I either don't notice the graphics at all if they are just okay, or I think to myself dang this game looks great. Zelda is one of those games when I think damn this game looks great! That said, sure, I'm looking forward to how great next-gen Zelda will be in a bunch of years from now, but in no way does that stop me from appreciating how beautiful Switch Zelda looks, nor how incredible the games are.

I cared about graphical differences a lot back in the 90s and early 2000s when games were still in their early days graphically because well I was a kid and also bad graphics could be all blurry and pixelated and glitchy. Nowadays, unless the dev/art team are either not good or don't put in much effort, every game looks great. The idea that a beautiful game like Zelda on Switch is ruined simply because it's not 4k is just sad for the people who actually see things that way.

Around the Network

It is unfortunate a game that big had to have been built around hardware so weak. The Switch 2 will help a ton though and by the time the system after that is out it should be way less jarring since a level of power between the PS5 and Series X and the consoles after those should age far better than the Switch's hardware has even when that level of power is very outdated.

I think the switch has more power left.. playing Xenoblade 3 and it's beautiful with zero slowdown. I have tried bioshock remastered and it's locked and beautiful. It just takes alot of optimisation.

Personally, I think people should learn to make criticisms without hyperbole. Or, at the very least, play a few games from the retro systems that are being used as a point of comparison. 

There is nothing about TotK that feels like it would belong on a PS2. This is what open world gaming looked like on the PS2:

Grass was pretty much always just billboard textures laid out in a cross pattern or following the players camera. A good majority of games wouldn't have grass bending because, well, they would never want to waste polygon budget on rending grass. 

Here is an indie game from about 15 years ago:

Here is an indie game from 10 years ago:

I just don't see how it's necessary to suggest that TotK looks even remotely like these games in order to say you wish TotK was available on a more powerful system. 

haxxiy said:

Edit - or, at least, BOTW on the Wii U (a game done with a CPU that ultimately comes from the GameCube and late 90s PowerPC archs). Makes me wonder if that will be detrimental to the game since parents will look and think it's just BOTW again and they've already paid for that.

The WiiU whilst based on the Gamecube CPU... It's very much in a different league entirely.

Normally over time developers get better at leveraging a platforms strengths and weaknesses to present better visuals...

So it goes to show that, while the Switch is significantly more efficient than the WiiU and significantly more powerful, that Breath of the Wild was already pushing the Switch hardware fairly hard, so the improvements we get in Tears of the Kingdom is pretty moderate at best.

It's also likely a testament to Nintendo's porting abilities in 2017 as well.

TheBraveGallade said:

I mean... nintendo has never really done too well when they tried to appeal to the market by sheer hardware power.

its almost always been when its the most affordable option/ has a killer feature/app while still being affordable that they won.

they barely outsold the genesis in the 16 bit war, completly bungled up the n64 and gamecube sales wise, and when they tried to one up the competition by opening the generation like 2 years early with the wii U they crashed and burned.

even more so with handhelds. gameboy had none of the flashy expensive stuff and it blew everything else out the water by being cheap and long lasting battery wise, and the 3ds struggled initially untill they dropped the price by 40% (something that the more advanced vita, already loss leading at 250, could not follow).
the only sucess i can think of where nintendo blew competition out of the water and working was the GBA, which with its superior hardware and decent price literally blew away any semblence of niche competion in the hardware space that still existed at that point.

I think people need to re-evaluate Nintendo's position in the market, for all intents and purposes they have exited the fixed home console market and are focusing on Portable consoles.

The WiiU was not a console that pushed hardware capability, essentially being almost a generation behind the Xbox One and Playstation 4 in performance, it failed for a series of reasons, rather than one or two.

The Switch however was a unique enough device which was comparatively powerful from a gaming perspective compared to it's competition. (I.E. Mostly Tablets/Phones.)
It is a handheld first however and when analysing handheld hardware, the Switch was comparatively Nintendo's highest-end hardware for many generations when compared to it's peers.

There was only a few viable SoC's that would have beaten the Switch's hardware on launch if Nintendo didn't cut back on clocks... And I would personally rather have seen Nintendo leverage Tegra X2 over Tegra X1 (Something I have said since before it launched) as it would have offered 50% more clockrate for the same TDP due to Pascals optimization on Clocks vs Maxwell.

Soundwave said:

N64 would have beaten the Playstation if it weren't for the CD-ROM issue, that's not really the N64's fault. It got shot in its foot at birth for no good reason. The more I think about Nintendo in the mid-90s, the more I think Yamauchi was smoking crack cocaine because crippling the N64 and thinking the Virtual Boy was not only a product worthy of a full blown hardware launch but that it could actually sell 3 million units in a few months (Yamauchi's projection) was totally into crazy town. 

We don't know that for sure.

Nintendo was late to the generation, Sony and Sega had a head start.

Nintendo also had several policies which did hinder more "mature" games on it's platforms during that time as well.

In saying that, the Nintendo 64 was still an amazing console and it did have some of the best games of all time, some of those games would possibly have been technically worse if they were on CD-Rom. - Mostly open world/RPG titles due to the need for streaming vs loading. (Ocarina of time?)

Soundwave said:

GameCube had a myriad of marketing and software library and timing issues on top of looking like (well) a 8 year old's lunch box which was never going to fly in the early 2000s. Giving the PS2 an 18 month headstart was also an absolute back breaker, you've already lost before you've even entered the market. 

It doesn't matter how any company approached the 6th gen, Sony had it locked down. It is what it is.

Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft just couldn't steal enough market-share, the 7th gen was when things could be shaken up and it did.

Sega launched before the PS2 but still crumbled, Microsoft had more power and an attractive box and still couldn't garner enough marketshare.

What made Nintendo stand out, was it's first party games.

KLXVER said:

I dont really agree with the game making the Switch feel old. I played Dead Island 2 on the PS4 and it took like 2 minutes to load between zones. And those zones are just a tiny fraction of the size of TotK. Yet in TotK it takes seconds to load in this giant world. Its very impressive. The game looks just as good as BotW imo. In fact I would say BotW made the Switch look more outdated than this game.

Keep in mind that the Playstation 4 relies on mechanical spinning storage, the Switch is all solid state.

Random reads/writes are always going to favor the Switch.

Hiku said:

I think there was a recent thread asking about the viability of having Switch games be powered up when docked.
I think that would be an interesting solution for Switch 2. On top of DLSS technology.

Breath of the Wild is actually using AMD's Fidelity FX Super Resolution technology as it's hardware agnostic, it works by rendering the game at a lower resolution and using an open-sourced spatial upscaling algorithm (Lanczos).

It would probably have been in Nintendo's best interest in using FSR2 rather than 1.

But DLSS isn't a requirement for good upscaling/reconstruction, lots of alternatives are out there these days, just nVidia is a step ahead with it's latest DLSS.

Soundwave said:

There will almost definitely be a 4K version for the next Switch console, if it really bothers you that much you can wait ... and spend the $70 then (lol).

Or if you've legally purchased the game, I don't think anyone is going to bemoan you if you choose to play the game on a PC emulator at a higher resolution. Go ahead, knock yourself out. 

Probably be a Breath of the Wild+Tears of the Kingdom remastered.

SvennoJ said:

The graphical fidelity is fine, the output is not though. Maybe it looks better on the Switch OLED, but on my 4K HDR tv it looks washed out and blurry, next to a lot of judder when panning the camera. It kinda feels like Nintendo doesn't care about tvs anymore at all.

I don't need more polygons nor 4K textures, I need a stable sharp picture that doesn't have me wondering what's wrong with my glasses :p So maybe give the option to dial the detail down to get stable 1080p30 output when docked. At least 1080p scales well on 4K screens and 30fps is perfectly fine for 3rd person action adventure.

My wife and kid are currently playing Ratchet and Clank again after playing Snipperclips on the Switch. Can't get them to play Zelda either lol. I'm gonna play some Humanity on PSVR2, easier to see what I'm doing.

I tend not to use my Switch in Handheld... But I am gaming it on my PC monitor which is a pretty average 32" 1440P/144hz panel and it looks soft.

Haven't tried it on my 85" 4k TV yet.

Game looks "fine". - It's definitely got a noisy/pixelated presentation.

But it's a Nintendo game as well, you can't expect super sharp visuals.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

The graphical fidelity is fine, the output is not though. Maybe it looks better on the Switch OLED, but on my 4K HDR tv it looks washed out and blurry, next to a lot of judder when panning the camera. It kinda feels like Nintendo doesn't care about tvs anymore at all.

I don't need more polygons nor 4K textures, I need a stable sharp picture that doesn't have me wondering what's wrong with my glasses :p So maybe give the option to dial the detail down to get stable 1080p30 output when docked. At least 1080p scales well on 4K screens and 30fps is perfectly fine for 3rd person action adventure.

My wife and kid are currently playing Ratchet and Clank again after playing Snipperclips on the Switch. Can't get them to play Zelda either lol. I'm gonna play some Humanity on PSVR2, easier to see what I'm doing.

I don't see any judder when moving the camera and I have the camera speed on fast.

VAMatt said:
super_etecoon said:

The real purpose of this thread is to make people gush even more about how amazing this game is. Well played, OP. Well played.

That's not too far off from the truth.  I do think it's at least a very good game, possibly a great one. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to criticize.  The thread was intended to let people express their opinions about the graphics of the game and the Switch hardware, and even the game in general. It seems to have largely succeeded at that. 

Some people are unable of doing anything other than arguing on the internet. So no discussion is ever perfect.  

I think criticizing something and making overexagerated and bad faith comparisons like you did are two very different things.

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

I tend not to use my Switch in Handheld... But I am gaming it on my PC monitor which is a pretty average 32" 1440P/144hz panel and it looks soft.

Haven't tried it on my 85" 4k TV yet.

Game looks "fine". - It's definitely got a noisy/pixelated presentation.

But it's a Nintendo game as well, you can't expect super sharp visuals.

Well Windwaker had super sharp visuals in the remaster, but also looked great on TV when it came out, matching the tv standard at the time.

I'm gonna fiddle with the tv settings,my main issue is the low contrast, maybe it's as simple (and archaic) as the TV expecting Full RGB while the Switch is outputting limited RGB range. At least that's what it looks like. I thought those days were over!

It's not that, Switch is set to full, tv is auto but only changes when i switch it to limited so is also in Full.

I also tested surround sound as TotK should have 5.1, but no settings in game. Good thing I did as for some reason that input was set to 7ch stereo doh. At least it sounds 3D now :) Picture still looks rather dull, like when games thought less contrast is more realistic... Maybe it gets better on the ground.

Switch is dated - yes. But Nintendo cheaping out on the hardware every generation just exacerbates the problem. 

The answer here is simple: AAA is not defined by graphics, but by the depth of the game. And the depth of the game here is defined by the delicate quality of the art, the depth of the gameplay and the intense feeling that you are part of a legendary story.

The Playstation and Xbox have gotten people too interested in graphics, when graphics support the depth of a game. A game with great, even excellent graphics can be mediocre. But a game with deep quality and acceptable graphical capabilities cannot.