By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

Pajderman said:
Hynad said:

My suggestion to you is to quit making this ignorant assumption that great graphics come with a compromise to gameplay. 

It does not have to do that, but it certainly can. Games are made on a budget and targeting a release date. Time and money that is spent on one aspect of the game will not be spent on another aspect of the game.

No studio will drop gameplay features because they have to polish graphics. Developing the different aspects of a game happens concurrently, anyways. It's not like they have to drop doing other things because it's graphics day or something.

Around the Network
masschamber said:
Hynad said:

You win the “most dishonest comment of the thread” award!!

Congrats!!👏👏👏

Whatever grandpa. Keep your power gobbling stuck i. Tar dinosaur and ill continue living in the modern day with my flexible versatile efficient switch.

Just sounds like a whole lot of cope. Calm down.

padib said:

The answer here is simple: AAA is not defined by graphics, but by the depth of the game. And the depth of the game here is defined by the delicate quality of the art, the depth of the gameplay and the intense feeling that you are part of a legendary story.

The Playstation and Xbox have gotten people too interested in graphics, when graphics support the depth of a game. A game with great, even excellent graphics can be mediocre. But a game with deep quality and acceptable graphical capabilities cannot.

Well, it's a simple four panel diagram where the least desirable outcome is no depth and low fidelity and the best case is depth and high fidelity.

Power surely helps to achieve both depth AND fidelity.

curl-6 said:
BraLoD said:

The thing is, it was already the case with BotW, people kept prasing the style but the game was really, REALLY dated already back in 2017.
We had Horizon Zero Dawn in the same timeframe and it was really baffling how these two games looked like from two completely different eras.

It's not baffling at all; one of them is developed for a dedicated home console and the other is developed for a mobile device. There was little available on mobile devices that measured up to BOTW back when it came out.

I really don't understand why people have such a hard time comprehending this, that there are fundamental differences in processing capability between something like the Switch and a system like PS4/5.

People constantly act as though we should expect the same performance from Switch games as their console counterparts, which is just completely illogical to anyone with an understanding of how hardware works.

I find the comparison between BotW and HZD funny, because back then in 2017 HZD was the game that felt more dated due to things like its atrocious loading times and the design choice to have crossbars to mark its few climbable surfaces.

HZD will forever be the game that was unfortunate enough to launch at the same time as BotW. It's a pretty good game in its own right, but the unavoidable comparisons never do it any favors.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

It's not baffling at all; one of them is developed for a dedicated home console and the other is developed for a mobile device. There was little available on mobile devices that measured up to BOTW back when it came out.

I really don't understand why people have such a hard time comprehending this, that there are fundamental differences in processing capability between something like the Switch and a system like PS4/5.

People constantly act as though we should expect the same performance from Switch games as their console counterparts, which is just completely illogical to anyone with an understanding of how hardware works.

I find the comparison between BotW and HZD funny, because back then in 2017 HZD was the game that felt more dated due to things like its atrocious loading times and the design choice to have crossbars to mark its few climbable surfaces.

HZD will forever be the game that was unfortunate enough to launch at the same time as BotW. It's a pretty good game in its own right, but the unavoidable comparisons never do it any favors.

And its sequel unfortunate enough to launch at the same time as Elden ring, and its DLC launching just before TOTK

Around the Network
Dante9 said:

The game just sold 10 million units in 3 days shattering records and giving joy to those millions of people. I highly doubt anyone in this thread is coping, other than maybe those who are struggling to appreciate the game because in their brain links's hair looks like a blob and difficulties like that.

padib said:
Dante9 said:

The game just sold 10 million units in 3 days shattering records and giving joy to those millions of people. I highly doubt anyone in this thread is coping, other than maybe those who are struggling to appreciate the game because in their brain links's hair looks like a blob and difficulties like that.

I love the game’s art style, but the game’s visuals and performance are legitimate subject of criticism.

The gameplay would have benefited from a smoother experience, and the overall experience would have been more impressive with more modern graphics (while keeping the same art style). 

Is it a deal breaker? Fuck no! The game is amazing as is (currently playing. Took a short break to see what was being discussed here ). But there’s no denying it’d be "awesomer" () if it was running in 4K @60fps.

Hynad said:
padib said:

I love the game’s art style, but the game’s visuals and performance are legitimate subject of criticism.

The gameplay would have benefited from a smoother experience, and the overall experience would have been more impressive with more modern graphics (while keeping the same art style). 

Is it a deal breaker? Fuck no! The game is amazing as is (currently playing. Took a short break to see what was being discussed here ). But there’s no denying it’d be "awesomer" () if it was running in 4K @60fps.

Ultra hand can be sickening to use though. Last night I had fps drops into the tens while trying to build something big with Ultra hand. The added stutter when panning is not a deal breaker, but trying to attach something at the right angle at 10fps while avoiding walking off a cliff is a pain.

It would be much better if it at least managed to stick to 30fps.

I haven't bought TotK yet, because I've seen on YT how the game could look like on a more powerful hardware in 4K 60fps. There are plenty of details cut on Switch, so the game is clearly made for a more powerful hardware. I'll wait for new Nintendo hardware and hopefully a definitive edition of TotK.

If you've played Immortals Fenyx Rising or Genshin Impact on PS5, it's hard to look at TotK and its 20fps (with ultra hand) and basic graphics. TotK isn't worse than BotW from a technical point of view, don't get me wrong, but 6 years is a long time for game consoles.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 19 May 2023

I keep reading about TotK dropping to 20 fps frequently, but I have encountered hardly any drops in ~50 hours of playtime. The game's framerate is a lot more stable than BotW's which is evident in specific spots like Kakariko Village. But maybe all the people who complain are playing in handheld mode.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.