By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

h2ohno said:

For all other games, only 1 gb of RAM was available, whereas BOTW used all 2gb the Wii U had.

That is 100% false.

h2ohno said:

Given that the game ran at a lower resolution and had bigger framerate problems on the Wii U despite that, it's safe to assume that that extra gigabyte of memory was essential to getting it running on that hardware and it would have been hopelessly compromised if it had to work within the same hardware restrictions as every other Wii U game.

Handheld vs fixed home console, the WiiU and Switch versions ran at the same resolution.

It's only in docked mode that the Switch was sharper. (720P vs 900P.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

But we only had 1080p tvs when the remaster came out, matching the current state of TVs again. It was the sharpest possible at the time. But yeah, playing it now on a 4K screen obviously makes it look softer again due to upscaling, still sharper than upscaling from 900p...

There are more things where Nintendo is behind the times. No calibration options in game, no brightness/contrast, no text size options. I find it hard to read the instructions from the couch, also not helped by the low contrast and upscaling. And apparently it doesn't save what you build? I made a super long bridge to reach more places on sky island, went back in the first shrine to trigger a save, popped back out and everything was reset :/

The remaster launched in 2016.

4k displays existed as far back as 2001.

Sony recognized 4k displays as gaining relevance and released the Playstation 4 Pro in 2016.

4k was definitely a thing when the remaster came out. And it definitely looked soft on those panels.

But here is the thing, even large 1080P displays... 1080P content still looks soft regardless.

The WiiU was limited by it's HDMI port and technology, hence why it could never push past 1080P, even the more modern Switch is limited by the same issue.

"matching the current state of TVs again"

8K tvs exist now as well, it's not the dominant viewing experience. 1080p was still the dominant viewing experience in 2016. (And 720p/768p was still very much in use as well) 1080p looks fine on a 4k set, 900p not so much though. It doesn't scale well with a 2.4 : 1 ratio.

Anyway 900p in 2023 when VR sets already moved on to minimum 2K per eye, I don't have a 900p tv :/ I have a 600 line CRT, 768p Plasma, 1080p LCD and Projector, 4K HDR LED, no match found!

Kakadu18 said:

There is an ability that you can get that saves your builds and then you auto rebuild them. Obviously entering a shrine resets stuff. And you don't need to enter the shrine for sn autosave. It saves as soon as you get close to the shrine and the name pops up, it says saving in the corner below the location name.

That's a really shitty way to do it. If you allow altering the world and building stuff, I expect persistence to be the first focus. Oblivion did this in 2006... (not building but remembering your mess lol)

Anyway I found the save option, or rather how to access the menu where save is. No need to use Shrines anymore to save. Of course who knows what or where it saves. I'll find out tonight whether my bridge is gone again :/

Kinda hoped it would be like Death Stranding and I could build short cuts and paths everywhere. But if it doesn't save the world state, then what's the point of building.

SvennoJ said:
Kakadu18 said:

There is an ability that you can get that saves your builds and then you auto rebuild them. Obviously entering a shrine resets stuff. And you don't need to enter the shrine for sn autosave. It saves as soon as you get close to the shrine and the name pops up, it says saving in the corner below the location name.

That's a really shitty way to do it. If you allow altering the world and building stuff, I expect persistence to be the first focus. Oblivion did this in 2006... (not building but remembering your mess lol)

Anyway I found the save option, or rather how to access the menu where save is. No need to use Shrines anymore to save. Of course who knows what or where it saves. I'll find out tonight whether my bridge is gone again :/

Kinda hoped it would be like Death Stranding and I could build short cuts and paths everywhere. But if it doesn't save the world state, then what's the point of building.

It's not ark. The point of building is for puzzle-solving and crafting. And just healthy fun with stimulated physics.

Soundwave said:

Switch has had a good run, but yeah looking at TotK, Xenoblade 3, and Bayonetta 3, it's pretty clear it's time for Nintendo to move up a the ladder with better hardware, they're hitting up against the very roof of the current hardware, they need a generational leap, especially probably the next Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc. games. 

Agreed. It is (past) time for more powerful hardware.  And we know that new hardware is coming within the next 18 months or so. But, my hope is that it is a little less behind the curve than the Switch was when it launched.

I really hope we have new hardware for Metroid Prime 4.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

The idea that a beautiful game like Zelda on Switch is ruined simply because it's not 4k is just sad for the people who actually see things that way.

That would be quite sad.  But, I don't see a single comment in this thread that indicates anything close to that. So.... 

I think a lot of this thread boils down to:

a) People who think Nintendo can make some great games *because* of hardware limitations (forcing developers to focus on creativity, etc.)
b) People who think Nintendo can make great games *despite* said limitations.

I'm on the second camp because the weaksauce hardware is just a consequence of their market strategy focusing on features other than graphics to sell at a lower price.

I feel if the Switch was much more powerful, it would have cost over $500 and sold a lot less or retailed at a loss. Nintendo would have been hard-pressed to release their games faster and not as polished. This alternate-universe Zelda might have been not much better overall than ours... but not because Aonuma spent his hours cranking up draw distance instead of coming up with Ultrahand or whatever.

So it's just some fun imagining what more could have been done, really (as one can do to any game). People just want the same thing you enjoy to have been better, so no point in getting tilted.

BraLoD said:

The thing is, it was already the case with BotW, people kept prasing the style but the game was really, REALLY dated already back in 2017.
We had Horizon Zero Dawn in the same timeframe and it was really baffling how these two games looked like from two completely different eras.

It's not baffling at all; one of them is developed for a dedicated home console and the other is developed for a mobile device. There was little available on mobile devices that measured up to BOTW graphically back when it came out.

I really don't understand why people have such a hard time comprehending this, that there are fundamental differences in processing capability between something like the Switch and a system like PS4/5.

People constantly act as though we should expect the same performance from Switch games as their console counterparts, which is just completely illogical to anyone with an understanding of how hardware works.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 May 2023

haxxiy said:

I feel if the Switch was much more powerful, it would have cost over $500 and sold a lot less or retailed at a loss. Nintendo would have been hard-pressed to release their games faster and not as polished. This alternate-universe Zelda might have been not much better overall than ours... but not because Aonuma spent his hours cranking up draw distance instead of coming up with Ultrahand or whatever.

Doesn't seem to be the Nintendo way. Wii U floped terribly and the games were not rushed 

I was mostly a handheld user when I got my Switch on early 2019 as a successor to my 3DS. After pandemic I have little to no use for handheld gaming 

The most skewed your use is towards home use the most annoying the graphical compromises become because you are basically losing hardware power and getting nothing in return 

When I bought Switch I had a crappy TV, now I have a great TV. The lack of resolution make things even worse. 

I would love if Nintendo make a docked only Swietch 2, more expensive (500 USD) with no handheld option but with high resolution and able to run Nintendo games 60 FPS. I would surely pick this one and if I wanted mobile gaming I would pick a steam deck which offers me a better value because I can use my steam library 

I don't need games to be photorealistic. Improve texture and models, make framerate stable 60 FPS and make the game native 1440 and TOTK would easily be a perfect 10/10 for me 

Spindel said:

My suggestion is that people should start playing games instead of watching games.

You can't really help but do both.