By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Remastered Reviews: 95 Metacritic / 95 Opencritic

Tagged games:

SKMBlake said:
Darashiva said:

A lot of people seem really invested on an arbitrary score for a game they already know they like. Does that one slightly lower review score somehow affect your enjoyment of the game? Or change anything about it in general?

It's like one of user reviews which stated "it looks better on emulation on my steam deck, this one runs like crap and cannot maintain 30fps" and gave it a 0.

It is annoying to see such comments based on deliberate false stuff just to be more visible.

When I was in high school, my Latin teacher decided that we all needed to do a presentation, and the students would give grades. And there was one guy I didn't like, barely paid any attention on the nonsense he was saying. And then I gave him a bad review. And the teacher decided to not count my review. And she was right.

Same situation here.

The difference is, whether you agree with Sterling or not, is that they are a professional critic who covers video games for a living. You don't have to agree with the review or the score, but you also can't disregard it because of that. Looking at the review itself and the conclusion, I think this line from the review matches the score Sterling gave the game quite well: Metroid Prime Remastered is a faithful beat-for-beat recreation of the GameCube classic with a comprehensively polished visual makeover. It remains a solid adventure shooter, even if its straightforward approach to player progress is a little unexciting these days.

Also, which part of the review is based on deliberate false stuff? I haven't played the game myself, so maybe there is, but I took a look at the review and couldn't find anything that stood out as false.

Around the Network

On another note, it's really ridiculous how people see 7's as bad scores in game journalism. Like if you go on Metacritic, sure, Sterling's score of 7.5 still counts as "positive", but as much as one decimal lower and it'd be yellow. Any game you play and say "eh it was fine" is an 8/10. Whereas for any other type of media, the same feeling would probably be a 6/10. All Sterling is doing is giving 7's for games they enjoyed. But since everyone else inflates scores so much, we end up with an infinity of games in the 80-95 range, and within that you have games of vastly different quality.

mZuzek said:

On another note, it's really ridiculous how people see 7's as bad scores in game journalism. Like if you go on Metacritic, sure, Sterling's score of 7.5 still counts as "positive", but as much as one decimal lower and it'd be yellow. Any game you play and say "eh it was fine" is an 8/10. Whereas for any other type of media, the same feeling would probably be a 6/10. All Sterling is doing is giving 7's for games they enjoyed. But since everyone else inflates scores so much, we end up with an infinity of games in the 80-95 range, and within that you have games of vastly different quality.

Yeah under any reasonable metric a 7.5/10 is a fairly high quality product. Not amazing or anything like that but still really good and worth checking out for most people. I'd happily play a 7.5/10 game in a genre I'm into.

mZuzek said:

This is why "Generally favorable reviews" (green score) on MetaCritic is 60+ for movies, music and TV while it's 75+ for games.

Signature goes here!

mZuzek said:

Phenomenon has been exacerbated when Metacritic also decided to color code game in the 70's range as yellow, whislt before, they had a light green tone instead.

But it's true to say the range of attributed scores has diminished along the years.

Seeing games in the 50's-60's has been far fewer knowadays than during the X360,Wii and PS3 generation.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
SKMBlake said:

It's like one of user reviews which stated "it looks better on emulation on my steam deck, this one runs like crap and cannot maintain 30fps" and gave it a 0.

It is annoying to see such comments based on deliberate false stuff just to be more visible.

When I was in high school, my Latin teacher decided that we all needed to do a presentation, and the students would give grades. And there was one guy I didn't like, barely paid any attention on the nonsense he was saying. And then I gave him a bad review. And the teacher decided to not count my review. And she was right.

Same situation here.

The difference is, whether you agree with Sterling or not, is that they are a professional critic who covers video games for a living. You don't have to agree with the review or the score, but you also can't disregard it because of that. Looking at the review itself and the conclusion, I think this line from the review matches the score Sterling gave the game quite well: Metroid Prime Remastered is a faithful beat-for-beat recreation of the GameCube classic with a comprehensively polished visual makeover. It remains a solid adventure shooter, even if its straightforward approach to player progress is a little unexciting these days.

Also, which part of the review is based on deliberate false stuff? I haven't played the game myself, so maybe there is, but I took a look at the review and couldn't find anything that stood out as false.

Sterling's reviews in general are often written in a very unprofessional way full of profanity and ranting. They are annoying to read.

mZuzek said:

You may not be aware of that, but the overall average is in the low to mid 70s. On Opencritic the most common scores are 70-72.

https://opencritic.com/game/14280/metroid-prime-remastered/charts

Here you can see a graph with the score distributions with Metroid Prime Remastered being in the highest 1%.

Kakadu18 said:
mZuzek said:

You may not be aware of that, but the overall average is in the low to mid 70s. On Opencritic the most common scores are 70-72.

Here you can see a graph with the score distributions with Metroid Prime Remastered being in the highest 1%.

You haven't done much to dismiss my point. Of course the average is going to be below 80, when it's an average for literally every game made. There's a lot of shitty games out there. Yet in spite of that, as we can see by the graph you posted, a majority of games score over 70 - the average score is roughly 73. So we have an entire scale that goes from 0 to 100, but over half of the games are occupying less than 30% of the scale. In other words, the scale is useless.

By the way, I had no idea this graph existed, it's really interesting and useful, so thanks for posting it.

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

You haven't done much to dismiss my point. Of course the average is going to be below 80, when it's an average for literally every game made. There's a lot of shitty games out there. Yet in spite of that, as we can see by the graph you posted, a majority of games score over 70 - the average score is roughly 73. So we have an entire scale that goes from 0 to 100, but over half of the games are occupying less than 30% of the scale. In other words, the scale is useless.

By the way, I had no idea this graph existed, it's really interesting and useful, so thanks for posting it.

I mean, even shitty games are scored above 60 if technically okay.

It is pretty rare to have a score below than that, and that's usually because the game is just broken (like Cyberpunk on last gen consoles) - or is Sonic

Most games function properly and are playable. That alone is why most games get at least ok scores.