By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Remastered out on Switch... today (Digital, physical 22nd of Feb)

I'm glad they actually made some changes and aren't just lazily emulating the original at a higher resolution but I was hoping for a full remastered trilogy for $60. $40 for just the first game is a bit of an ask. I mean even Activision offered the entire Crash trilogy remade from scratch for $40. Activision is beating you on value.

It was $28 to get the trilogy on the WiiU Eshop. Now $40 for just one remastered... But I'm happy it has finally arrived.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 09 February 2023

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

I tend to attribute remakes with an entire engine swap.

But there is a significant increase in texture detail and new geometric complexity in many scenes.

It could be an engine swap; can't find any word on that yet, but at the very least, even if its still using the same in-house engine, said engine has most likely undergone massive changes since 2002.

Honestly, its the lighting  and materials that stands out more than the textures and geometry to me, they've been completely overhauled to Switch standards which is a massive step up from the much older fixed function model on Gamecube.

It's using Unreal Engine 4 apparently

I will buy the physical version. 

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

It could be an engine swap; can't find any word on that yet, but at the very least, even if its still using the same in-house engine, said engine has most likely undergone massive changes since 2002.

Honestly, its the lighting  and materials that stands out more than the textures and geometry to me, they've been completely overhauled to Switch standards which is a massive step up from the much older fixed function model on Gamecube.

I can't find any verification on that, can you provide a source?

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

I can't find any verification on that, can you provide a source?

I saw a tweet from dataminers, I'll try to find a source

Around the Network

I would love to see F-Zero GX get the same "remastered" treatment.

I wonder if the "digital release first" thing is going to become more common for Nintendo. 

The truth is, digital release makes Nintendo more money, they get an extra $10 per game sold at least over a retail version, so it's a clever way to boost the profit margin on a game. 

Think I might give this a go later tonight. Never played Metroid Prime so will be an interesting experience. Hope the controls aren't too weird for me considering it wasn't originally a dual analog shooter like I'd imagine.

A nice filler for March, but I am not buying inferior versions of games that I already have.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

A nice filler for March, but I am not buying inferior versions of games that I already have.

Inferior how?

Doctor_MG said:
RolStoppable said:

Inferior how?

The Wii pointer aiming is still the best way to play these games so I guess that's what he meant.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909