By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Remastered out on Switch... today (Digital, physical 22nd of Feb)

Mar1217 said:

The Wii pointer aiming is still the best way to play these games so I guess that's what he meant.

The Wii pointer aiming was the best way to play these games for a while, but this has twin stick aiming*, GC controls, and gyro aiming. The ir motion is very accurate, but with the visual upgrades and controller options I fail to see how this is actually inferior

*Edit

Last edited by Doctor_MG - on 09 February 2023

Around the Network

I went back and forth between getting the digital version now or the physical version in a couple weeks. Physical won out. Pre-ordered from GameStop.

Probably one of my favourite games of all time. Can't wait to dive in. And I'll probably be using the original GameCube controls. Just because.

Doctor_MG said:
Mar1217 said:

The Wii pointer aiming is still the best way to play these games so I guess that's what he meant.

The Wii pointer aiming was the best way to play these games for a while, but this has gyro aiming, GC controls, and gyro aiming.

And don't forget gyro aiming.

For real though, I don't think the gyro controls on this come close to what they were on the Wii. To be fair I've only tried them on the Pro controller, it probably feels better on the Joycons. But non-motion controls are certainly the best we've had, with both the option of the original GameCube controls (but not limited to the GameCube controller itself, and with additional options) or dual analog.

Leave it to Nintendo to basically remake one of the most critically acclaimed games in their history and then barely mention how much of an impressive remake it is, lol.

Like jeezus, this is a full blown remake almost, not a port-dump remastered ROM running at higher resolution. The lighting, physics engine is completely new, the graphics in every area including geometry models are redone, etc. etc.

Soundwave said:

Leave it to Nintendo to basically remake one of the most critically acclaimed games in their history and then barely mention how much of an impressive remake it is, lol.

Like jeezus, this is a full blown remake almost, not a port-dump remastered ROM running at higher resolution. The lighting, physics engine is completely new, the graphics in every area including geometry models are redone, etc. etc.

It's ironic because last year they marketed the hell out of a port-dump remastered ROM running at a higher resolution, and sold it for $60.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Doctor_MG said:

The Wii pointer aiming was the best way to play these games for a while, but this has gyro aiming, GC controls, and gyro aiming.

For real though, I don't think the gyro controls on this come close to what they were on the Wii. To be fair I've only tried them on the Pro controller, it probably feels better on the Joycons. But non-motion controls are certainly the best we've had, with both the option of the original GameCube controls (but not limited to the GameCube controller itself, and with additional options) or dual analog.

There are different modes for the gyro aiming.  There is the mode that uses the standard Doom setup where you can aim with both gyro and the right stick at the same time, but the cursor is always in the center of the screen like with all other Switch shooters.  And there's a different option that mimics the Wii's controls in allowing you to aim anywhere on the screen and not have the cursor always centered.  When using that mode the right stick does nothing.  To me it seems to have the speed I get from the Wii games, but since it doesn't have a sensor bar it can drift over time and then you need to press ZR to recenter the controller.  That's just the price of there not being any sensor bar, and I think it's as good as it can be given that limitation.  Until today I didn't think it was possible to replicate the Wii FPS experience as well as Prime Remastered does.

mZuzek said:

Lol I meant twin stick shooting and then gyro aiming. 

The gyro aiming probably won't be the same as the pointer controls due to the way that IR works in the Wii (very high refresh rate). However, I think the twin stick controls will still be great, and the improvements in material properties, meshes, and lighting are well worth a slight decline in motion precision, especially since motion is now completely and entirely optional. 

In addition, this can be played portably and on modern HD sets without any artifactinf or dithering present on Wii U's when outputting Wii games or the pixel imprecision and noise present on the standard Wii version. Therefore, it simply is not inferior. Not overall. Only in one specific area (pointer controls)

Personally, I think the Wii pointer controls felt like doing anything with the world's crappiest mouse.

That being said, MPT with PrimeHack on Dolphin controlled amazingly with mouse and keyboard, like a real FPS for PC.

Lol love the couple people trying to downplay how good this game looks, or still trying to lamely say Switch games don't look good, but then comparing Switch (a handheld system) to 2 year old consoles. Obviously a 7 year old handheld doesn't have as good graphics as 2 year old consoles lol. But nothing about that fact doesn't mean Switch games don't look great. Ultimate face palm.

Switch games look great and Retro completely redid the graphics for this game and it looks outstanding. They kept the art direction the same but completely overhauled everything from the 3D models to textures to lighting to particle effects. Basically it just looks like how the original looked when it came out: gorgeous!! In comparison videos you can really see that they graphically rebuilt everything to be up to high modern standards.

Soundwave said:

I would love to see F-Zero GX get the same "remastered" treatment.

I wonder if the "digital release first" thing is going to become more common for Nintendo. 

The truth is, digital release makes Nintendo more money, they get an extra $10 per game sold at least over a retail version, so it's a clever way to boost the profit margin on a game. 

I'm sure they just did this physical release later because they dropped it the day they announced it. If it had released physically yesterday people would have already been seeing it in stores before the Direct even aired. They probably just timed it so shipments of the game wouldn't have quite arrived in stores yet when the Direct happened so there would be no danger of the surprise announcement in the Direct being spoiled.

Physical games normally don't get launched the day they are announced so I wouldn't expect this "digital release first" thing to become normal.