By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Remastered out on Switch... today (Digital, physical 22nd of Feb)

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

According to the credits, the remake was developed in-house by Retro themselves, though as is usual for modern games, development was also supported by some outside studios, including Iron Galaxy, who previously handled the Switch ports of Skyrim, Diablo 3, Overwatch, and Dauntless:

https://nintendoeverything.com/retro-studios-made-metroid-prime-remastered-but-iron-galaxy-and-others-involved/

It feels almost surreal to think Retro Studios have actually released a game.

And for all the doubts and questions over their current status, they've maintained their standard intact with another quality release. Granted, it's not a new game, but has to be up there with some of the best remasters ever (despite my many nitpicks over the course of this thread, I'm very impressed overall). Not everyone takes an old game and makes it a strong contender for best-looking game on a newer platform.

Yeah after so many years, it feels hella strange but also awesome to have them back.

And I concur, great to see they've lost none of their technical wizardry. The previous Prime games pushed the Gamecube and Wii hard, so it's fitting that Remastered puts the Switch through its paces similarly.

Around the Network

The OG Metroid Prime engineer doesn't like the doors in the remastered version.

Samus's face in the remaster looks remarkable. Not just keeping the spirit of the more realistic look of OG prime but the render itself is not something I expect on Switch. It's legit amazing. I really wish she would keep this design and not the shitty barbie doll garbage the sequels and Smash Bros would use.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

After the Metroid Trilogy release on the Wii, seeing them sold individually now feels like it's not enough...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Slownenberg said:
mZuzek said:

At this point I didn't even consider the rumor being real anymore.

I'm... a bit perplexed by it. Not happy about it being only the first game. But I like that they went with a lower price point. The remaster itself looks... it's a huge upgrade, but at the same time, it kinda looks worse than the original. It's a big improvement on a technical level, but the art direction looks all weird. It actually kinda looks like a fangame to me. Something you'd see on YouTube of some Unreal Engine prototype that makes people go "Nintendo, hire this guy!".

It's to be expected, I suppose. Switch games just don't look good. I assume it's because of how far behind the curve it is in terms of hardware, that developers just don't know how to make a good looking game anymore - or the tools they use can't really make something nice for such an underpowered system. Obviously I don't expect next-gen level graphics from it, but that to me is the only explanation for why Switch games always look worse than most games on previous HD consoles, and sometimes even non-HD ones. Dread was great but in cutscenes everything looked like a toy. Prime Remastered kinda looks like everything's made out of clay. I really hope their next console is a big upgrade.

huh??? Switch games don't look good? That's news to me lol. Switch games look great.

And it's the same graphics as the original but updated to be better. The art direction is the same. It's not like they changed the look of the game, they just cleaned up the graphics a bit. Such a confusing comment.

Actually the textures and assets were redone for all of the game. The art direction is clearly still the same though.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 10 February 2023

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

I tend to attribute remakes with an entire engine swap.

Which is the case here

Sorry, it's not the case actually, the dataminer saying it was a UE4 remake was wrong, it's based on Retro Studios historical engine (a heavily modified UE2 they're still using as of today, even in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze)

SKMBlake said:
SKMBlake said:

Which is the case here

Sorry, it's not the case actually, the dataminer saying it was a UE4 remake was wrong, it's based on Retro Studios historical engine (a heavily modified UE2 they're still using as of today, even in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze)

I would've imagined as much, because the game itself is clearly the exact same Metroid Prime we've always had, just with aesthetic changes. Like I don't know anything about engines and such, but I imagine that an engine swap would lead to the game feel being at least a little different from the original.

That said, in some parts the new graphics do remind me of that typical UE4 look you see in like prototype remasters and such. I know technically an engine doesn't determine the look of a game, but I think most of you know what I mean, there's a certain look that UE4 is associated with and Metroid Prime falls in there, hence why people thought it was made on it.

mZuzek said:
SKMBlake said:

I would've imagined as much, because the game itself is clearly the exact same Metroid Prime we've always had, just with aesthetic changes. Like I don't know anything about engines and such, but I imagine that an engine swap would lead to the game feel being at least a little different from the original.

That said, in some parts the new graphics do remind me of that typical UE4 look you see in like prototype remasters and such. I know technically an engine doesn't determine the look of a game, but I think most of you know what I mean, there's a certain look that UE4 is associated with and Metroid Prime falls in there, hence why people thought it was made on it.

Well it is not uncommon to have devs using heaviliy modified versions of UE, for eg Mortal Kombat 11 is based on a heavily modified UE3. And Red Dead Redemption II is the same engine as GTA IV but heviliy modified.

Darwinianevolution said:

After the Metroid Trilogy release on the Wii, seeing them sold individually now feels like it's not enough...

Metroid Prime Trilogy was Nintendo being uncharacteristically generous. It actually boggles my mind that they did that, to be honest. That being said, considerably less work went into that than this remaster, too.

I'm on board to pay 40 (50 CAD) bucks for each of these spread out over whatever their timeline is going to be. IMO, each of these games is more than worth the 40 bucks.

Can someone remind me about how Nintendo reports software sales? For some reason I remember some reports releasing with caveats saying “digital sales not included.” Is that a thing?

Also, anyone have any sales expectations for this title?