By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 5, 2023 (23 Jan - 29 Jan)

@ShadowLink93 I see you are doing a PS5 chart now, Nice. The total and unit labels are backwards btw.

Around the Network

Wow what the?! PS5 beating Switch?? That is not something I expected to see this year. Sony must just be flooding Japan with systems so everyone who has been looking for one for a while is picking one up right now.

Last week I said there should be some weeks with the PS5 on top this year and here's the first one already. I wonder how long this good baseline for it keeps up. Also man Disgaea 7 flopped big time.

Last edited by Norion - on 02 February 2023

Those Forspoken numbers were expected. Word of mouth for the game has been quite bad.

Still, a very good week for PS5.

Slownenberg said:

Wow what the?! PS5 beating Switch?? That is not something I expected to see this year. Sony must just be flooding Japan with systems so everyone who has been looking for one for a while is picking one up right now.

A good chunk probably still go to China. While Sony also sells in China directly, those are "state approved" consoles, and no Chinese gamer wants those.

Around the Network

Forspoken looked like it had a big budget. Not good for Square-Enix.

Norion said:

Last week I said there should be some weeks with the PS5 on top this year and here's the first one already. I wonder how long this good baseline for it keeps up. Also man Disgaea 7 flopped big time.

Disgaea 6 was a travesty for the series. It had good sales due to Disgaea 5 being one of the best in the series. But a subpar game can really hurt the brand for a cult JRPG like Disgaea.

Disgaea 7 still has the west and digital sales to bail it out.

Nice ps5 sales

Lots of variables that will end up changing the figure of course, but Switch on its current trajectory is heading for just under 3.3-3.4 million for the year. That would be its lowest total (alongside the one for its first full year on the market), but still a remarkably high figure for a platform in its 7th year.

The DS, which is currently the best-selling platform in Japan, managed around 2.9 million in its 7th year for comparison.

PS5 stocks are truly there ! Like even more than during the holiday which is weird but you don't have to look more than at the software to realise it's pretty obvious that a part of these sales are going to China.

Anywoo, can these type of sales for the PS5 last more than a month ? We shall see in the future but right now it definitely feels like it's embarking on the peak of it's yearly sales in Japan.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909