By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that feel the best to control

The Last of Us Part 2 controls are incredibly precise and responsive

But I'll go with Spider Man. The verticality of the game really set up the game. You can traverse the whole city and climb to the rooftops, it's an incredible sensation of freedom and the combat is very fluid as well

Also Metroid Dread is so good to play. Fast-paced and dynamic and you can run, kick and start shooting one after another

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 26 January 2023

Around the Network

As a big fan of motion controls,

Metroid Prime 3. Still the best FPS controls I've ever had the pleasure to experience all these years later.

Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword. The ability to switch from excellent IR shooting controls to near 1:1 sword-fighting controls on the fly is still very impressive, and I love pretty much everything about Skyward Sword's controls with the exception of the swimming.

Every Smash game that uses the Gamecube controller. Melee, Brawl, Wii U, and Ultimate.

Exitebots nailed motion controlled steering better than any other racing game, and as a result is the most fun to control by tilting the controller like a steering wheel. None of the Mario Kart games that use motion controls do it as well as Exitebots

Pretty much every Mario game except for Sunshine, where the camera made some levels unplayable.

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. The epitome of fun controls.

Super Mario Odyssey is the best controlling 3D platformer ever.
Metroid Dread and DK Tropical Freeze for 2D.
Breath of the Wild is up there too if we are only counting the Switch version. I feel like on Wii U it was awkward to run and control the camera at the same time.

1doesnotsimply

I whole heartedly second Ori, Donkey Kong Country, Mario, Wii Sports/Resort, Skyward Sword, and Red Steel 2.

The Splatoon games also feel incredibly satisfying to me, to the point where just splattering the world with ink then swimming through it is a joy in and of itself.

Bayonetta 1/2 come to mind as well in terms of feeling incredibly responsive and fluid.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 January 2023

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 American versions. I forgot about those ones.
I loved zooming through the levels of those two games in particular. I forget what it was about 3 I didn’t particularly like (outside of the snowboard part), but I remember it fell short.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I second MGSV and TLOU2 for third person games.

I don't play a ton of FPS's, but I remember COD4 feeling just so 'right' when I played it, whether on console or PC. It had just the right balance of weight and responsiveness for a mainstream shooter. Subsequent entries seemed to become more and more weightless over time, not that I played every one. I definitely prefer slower paced, more methodical shooters these days, but still look back on COD4 fondly.

Lots of Nintendo games. Like everyone else, I gotta mention Mario Odyssey. I’ve never been the biggest fan of his games—usually just never get around to playing them but Odyssey is a delight to control. Everything works and moves exactly how I intend, makes it extremely wonderful to control.

Another one I thought was a ton of fun to control was Spellbreak. Unfortunately the devs handled that game so poorly and left it in the dust, got absorbed into Blizzard and are shutting down the servers. But man, it felt great to fly around and be a cool mage.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is hands down the best for me. Every movement is just so fluid, every action flows into the next seamlessly, there's a beauty and flow to it that's unlike any other game, and the mechanics behind it are quite deep too, so there's a great variety of things you can do with slightly different execution of the same actions.

Blind Forest had great controls too, and so many other games as well. Metroid Dread, Hollow Knight, Hades, Thumper, all the Splatoon games. Many Zelda games, especially Breath of the Wild, The Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword on the Wii (on the Switch not so much). I rarely give Mario games much credit but if there's one area they excel at is in their controls, Odyssey was particularly fun to move around in. Bayonetta 1 and 2 were also great to control, I assume the third one will be as well (haven't gotten around to it yet), and I also love Astral Chain's controls even if they're not as silky smooth as some of the others here.

Super Mario World still controls like a dream more than 30 years on, even compared to modern 2D platformers.

F-Zero X and GX also manage the difficult task of making racing at supersonic speeds responsive and controllable, allowing the player to weave through obstacles and rivals with precision.

Really like the way Arkan does the controls. Deathloop (On PC) plays amazingly well.

Mario 64 was also a great controlling 3D playformer for its time and has only been improved upon its future sequals.

Halo CE was also designed quite well for a FPS Console game.

Just accouple examples.