By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split-screen co-op games needed

I just bought the Hazelight Bundle on PSN with It Takes Two and No Way Out (on sale until the 19th) as my wife and I are desperately looking for some good co-op games. These two look good but we would like some senseless co-op violence as well to relief stress :)

We used to have stuff like Halo and Killzone for that but since Halo cancelled split-screen co-op and Call of Duty is not welcome in our house, what is a fun corridor shooter to enjoy together? Serious Sam 4 seems to have dropped split screen as well, how does Serious Sam 3 hold up nowadays? (12 years old now already wow)

Anyway, what can we play together to shoot the shit out of everything on screen :)

Around the Network

The Ascent, Overcooked 2, and Gears of War series all offer a solid split screen experience.

Not split screen but Elden Ring is VERY coop friendly. If it's you and your partner, I imagine a whole lot of 'ooh, I found a flower' followed by 'BABE THIS TANK KNIGHT IS AFTER ME! CAN YOU DRAW SOME AGRO PLEASE?!'

Good fun. Only problem is that the invasions fucking suck and anyone who participates in them are trash people.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I don’t know any shooter split-screen game except for CoD, which apparently isn’t an option. But I can try to give other alternatives: Stikbold is an arcadey dodgeball game, Moving out is an Overcooked style game where you move furniture from houses, Untitled Goose Game is a stealth game (I don’t really know what genre it is) where you play as geese trying to mess with people and clear objectives and Unravel 2 is a platformer adventure game. The first two can also be played with more than two players.

I attempted to give many different genres here, so I hope that at least one will pique your interest.

Every Borderlands game.

Honestly, I would suggest you to get a cheap secondary console (Series S for example) and hook that up on another TV, preferably in the same room. That way you have a much bigger selection. That's certainly what I would do if my wife was playing videogames....

Last edited by Barozi - on 08 January 2023

Around the Network

I wanted to say Wolfenstein Youngblood, as even though it had mixed reception it was designed specifically as a co-op game, but apparently it doesn't allow split-screen, only online co-op. Ain't that some ingenuity...

This is the modern gaming world I'm afraid. If it's that important to you and you'd rather not be limited to only retro games/consoles or niche titles, you may as well just rearrange your room to have two separate setups side-by-side. That's the best you can really do in these times.

Edit: While I was mucking around seems someone already beat me to my point.

It’s gotta be Castle Crashers.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Have you played any Borderlands games before? I haven't played #3 yet, but the first two are fantastic for split screen play.

smroadkill15 said:

The Ascent, Overcooked 2, and Gears of War series all offer a solid split screen experience.

Thanks, I forgot about Gears of War having split-screen and I do have Gears 5 laying around, not played yet.
That will satisfy the senseless murder itch :)

Runa216 said:

Not split screen but Elden Ring is VERY coop friendly. If it's you and your partner, I imagine a whole lot of 'ooh, I found a flower' followed by 'BABE THIS TANK KNIGHT IS AFTER ME! CAN YOU DRAW SOME AGRO PLEASE?!'

Good fun. Only problem is that the invasions fucking suck and anyone who participates in them are trash people.

Yeah no, got to be simple, stress relief, not looking for more stress :p

Barozi said:

Every Borderlands game.

Honestly, I would suggest you to get a cheap secondary console (Series S for example) and hook that up on another TV, preferably in the same room. That way you have a much bigger selection. That's certainly what I would do if my wife was playing videogames....

We do have 2 tvs in the living room already and 2 ps5, but rather play on the same screen with one sound source. 2 TVs is not ideal with different sound profiles. But as a last resort, it is an option. Does that work in LAN co-op or are do we still have to deal with our shoddy internet?

I played Borderlands yet it misses the mark due to its open world RPG quest nature. We're just looking for senseless action without any possibility of getting lost! We have the other bases covered already :) The FPS version of streets or rage 4 is what we want.

Anyway will try Gears 5, should fit the bill.

Not a shooter, but for the murder itch, it probably doesn't hurt too much to suggest Dynasty Warriors. Not sure if it's at all suitable, but if it is, get the 8th one instead of the 9th one. The Warriors Orochi games might also do the trick (they're kind of more of the same).