By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split-screen co-op games needed

HoloDust said:

Oh, I thought your kids were much younger, hence some of my previous suggestions for games... I feel your pain, mine are 16 and 14, and they've lost interest in board games a few years ago, apart from some very light and quick games (like King of Tokyo) or party games (like Codename Pictures, Dixit and Pictures) - though I had success with 2 player tactical games like Memoir 44 and Summoner wars. Now it's all about online games with friends as well, though they do still play single player games as well. The last thing we played together as couch co-op were Outward and Minecraft Dungeons, though only at 2 player count, and the last thing that was 4 player couch coop (with my brother) was Helldivers (twinstick shooter), but that was quite a bit ago. I don't know, maybe they'll get around to board games again, my wife's eldest son (18) is not far from their age, growing up with the same online mentality as them, yet he loves playing boardgames, especially mid-weight Euros.

Cards Against Humanity is, for some reason, a massively popular game, along with Exploding Kittens... I must say, I don't find appeal in either (though honestly, I'm not that big on party board/card games in general), but hey, to each their own, I guess.

If you have some time, maybe take a look at Shadowdark P&P RPG. It's a throwback to early D&D, it has free starter kit, digest size pdf, so it fits great on 10 inch tablets (if you don't want to print), with exceptionally quick character creation and very light rules - you can read all the rules in 20-30 minutes and has one dungeon crawl included, so it's great for pick up and play kind of thing.

https://www.thearcanelibrary.com/pages/shadowdark

Thanks for the tip!

We finished It Takes Two, stay clear of that one with your wife. We barely made it, my wife was getting very irritated with the controls. Luckily it's very forgiving and often let's one person carry on while the other continually spawns back close behind :/ Not much fun for her, neither is a death loop on the same camera unfriendly platform section... And then it made her feel bad when she has to keep me alive in sections that rely on timing, press the wrong button, retry. For a game about fixing relationships it has good potential to do the opposite when you're a bad match in gaming skills for this game lol. I give it a 7/10 now after finishing it. I wouldn't mined playing it again as the other character this time but won't put my wife through that ordeal again :)

We turned it off quickly (the mini games are all not fun) and went on to Huntdown. There she's carrying me lol. My Achilles heel is keeping track of the right character in same screen multiplayer games. We also have very different play styles. I hang back to shoot from a distance / cover, she kamikazes in guns blazing. It works since we don't die together that way and 20 seconds to revive is do-able. (We're playing on easy with unlimited lives, hard enough lol. The early bounties are already quite a challenge!) I downloaded Streets 4 again as well, good game to let off steam as well. Maybe Nex Machina works for her too. A new game like Alien Nation would go down well too (we loved that). It sucks Returnal only has online co-op :(

@gipsy_jack We played All 4 one, problem with that one is, it's just not as fun as a mainline R&C game which is are my wife's all time favorite games. All-4-one has some camera issues, hard to see issues but mostly we got bored with it :/
We played Sackboy a big adventure, didn't get far, very boring game... Not sure what happened with the franchise since the original LBP campaign was amazing. We played through that half a dozen times. LBP2 was still good then we burned out on LBP3. We tried that campaign a bunch of times but always got frustrated with the collect stuff from different places, getting lost over and over, repeating the same paths, getting bored, abandoned.

There are plenty great co-op games in the past, but having a hard time to find anything new that's as good. A big problem is the clutter in modern games. You can hardly see the forest for the trees in full screen already. Split it and shrink the game or put 2 characters in all the mess and it's all too easy to lose track of what's going on. Plus the need for constant flashy effects makes it tiring to watch. Hence Huntdown with it's muted, big letter retro graphics works for us :)

Around the Network

I can’t attest to this personally as of yet, but I just bought Tiny Tina’s bc my best friend spoke very highly of the fun he had playing it with his wife.

SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

Oh, I thought your kids were much younger, hence some of my previous suggestions for games... I feel your pain, mine are 16 and 14, and they've lost interest in board games a few years ago, apart from some very light and quick games (like King of Tokyo) or party games (like Codename Pictures, Dixit and Pictures) - though I had success with 2 player tactical games like Memoir 44 and Summoner wars. Now it's all about online games with friends as well, though they do still play single player games as well. The last thing we played together as couch co-op were Outward and Minecraft Dungeons, though only at 2 player count, and the last thing that was 4 player couch coop (with my brother) was Helldivers (twinstick shooter), but that was quite a bit ago. I don't know, maybe they'll get around to board games again, my wife's eldest son (18) is not far from their age, growing up with the same online mentality as them, yet he loves playing boardgames, especially mid-weight Euros.

Cards Against Humanity is, for some reason, a massively popular game, along with Exploding Kittens... I must say, I don't find appeal in either (though honestly, I'm not that big on party board/card games in general), but hey, to each their own, I guess.

If you have some time, maybe take a look at Shadowdark P&P RPG. It's a throwback to early D&D, it has free starter kit, digest size pdf, so it fits great on 10 inch tablets (if you don't want to print), with exceptionally quick character creation and very light rules - you can read all the rules in 20-30 minutes and has one dungeon crawl included, so it's great for pick up and play kind of thing.

https://www.thearcanelibrary.com/pages/shadowdark

Thanks for the tip!

We finished It Takes Two, stay clear of that one with your wife. We barely made it, my wife was getting very irritated with the controls. Luckily it's very forgiving and often let's one person carry on while the other continually spawns back close behind :/ Not much fun for her, neither is a death loop on the same camera unfriendly platform section... And then it made her feel bad when she has to keep me alive in sections that rely on timing, press the wrong button, retry. For a game about fixing relationships it has good potential to do the opposite when you're a bad match in gaming skills for this game lol. I give it a 7/10 now after finishing it. I wouldn't mined playing it again as the other character this time but won't put my wife through that ordeal again :)

We turned it off quickly (the mini games are all not fun) and went on to Huntdown. There she's carrying me lol. My Achilles heel is keeping track of the right character in same screen multiplayer games. We also have very different play styles. I hang back to shoot from a distance / cover, she kamikazes in guns blazing. It works since we don't die together that way and 20 seconds to revive is do-able. (We're playing on easy with unlimited lives, hard enough lol. The early bounties are already quite a challenge!) I downloaded Streets 4 again as well, good game to let off steam as well. Maybe Nex Machina works for her too. A new game like Alien Nation would go down well too (we loved that). It sucks Returnal only has online co-op :(

Have you considered Divinity Original Sin II? I know it has option for local coop campaign, I don't know how good it is, but it looks promising from what I've seen. I've been fiddling with the idea of trying that with my wife given that it has turn based combat, so no gamepad skills are necessary.

HoloDust said:

Have you considered Divinity Original Sin II? I know it has option for local coop campaign, I don't know how good it is, but it looks promising from what I've seen. I've been fiddling with the idea of trying that with my wife given that it has turn based combat, so no gamepad skills are necessary.

Oh, good reminder! That is indeed coop. Hmm CAD 80 on PSN for a 2017 game... I'm gonna look for that in my local store together with Dragon's Crown.

We played through Streets 4 yesterday. It's a short campaign, easy to finish in one sitting (on easy). Made for repeat play through with different characters which you unlock more of while playing. It's easier to see everything than in Huntdown but characters moving between 'planes' all the time can be a bit annoying at times. With friendly hits on it can lead to plenty hilarious situations (room full of bad guys and you manage to only hit me lol) Reminds me of playing Golden Axe as kids. We almost never made it to the end as we would always turn on each other at some point during the short campaign haha.

My store didn't have any copies of Divinity Original Sin (2) but after looking through everything I picked up Zombie Vikings, which is 4 player couch co-op mayhem. Actually more entertaining than God of War lol. It has the "where am I" problem of course but easy enough to survive and reviving each other is also easy. Fun game with 2 to 4 players. (Wouldn't play it alone)

We had to put down Huntdown, too hard. We're only 22% in on Easy mode and it's too hectic to follow with 2 players. I never though a 2D side scroller could give me the feeling of oncoming motion sickness but it managed continuously moving the screen left and right knocking us back and forth. Barf.

We tried "Out of space" on Zen Mode, failed on the first level lol. Are there no games for people that suck at games! It didn't look much fun anyway, cleaning up rooms, we do enough of that irl.

I installed Sackboy, Nom Nom Galaxy and Lovers in a dangerous spacetime again. Already played em but at least they're playable.

Around the Network

Dragons Crown Pro went on sale, CAD 5.99 atm (80% off). I'm gonna try it out.

I'm playing through A Way Out by myself (my wife doesn't like it) and it actually works juggling two controllers. It came in a bundle with It Takes Two, which is a much more engaging game. A Way Out is more an adventure game. Co-op adventure games do work, but likely a niche of a niche.

SvennoJ said:

My store didn't have any copies of Divinity Original Sin (2) but after looking through everything I picked up Zombie Vikings, which is 4 player couch co-op mayhem. Actually more entertaining than God of War lol. It has the "where am I" problem of course but easy enough to survive and reviving each other is also easy. Fun game with 2 to 4 players. (Wouldn't play it alone)

We had to put down Huntdown, too hard. We're only 22% in on Easy mode and it's too hectic to follow with 2 players. I never though a 2D side scroller could give me the feeling of oncoming motion sickness but it managed continuously moving the screen left and right knocking us back and forth. Barf.

That's too bad about Huntdown. We bought it when it was on sale but I haven't had the time to play it with my wife. She's getting a bit more patient with games (she managed to beat RE1 recently!) so I hope we manage to push through it.

Zombie Vikings looks fun! Hopefully the difficulty won't increase too much for your wife.

Let me know what you think of Dragon's Crown if you get it. So far we've really enjoyed it.

Spike0503 said:

That's too bad about Huntdown. We bought it when it was on sale but I haven't had the time to play it with my wife. She's getting a bit more patient with games (she managed to beat RE1 recently!) so I hope we manage to push through it.

Zombie Vikings looks fun! Hopefully the difficulty won't increase too much for your wife.

Let me know what you think of Dragon's Crown if you get it. So far we've really enjoyed it.

We got to lvl 15 in our first sitting, it's a hit.

My wife is playing the Amazon 'woman' or is it a wasp with a giant butt, hard to tell lol. She's on a quest to find pants for her character but so far no pants found. Our 11 year old likes it too and is already imitating the way the characters walk and has a spot on impression of the magic shop owner's sultry voice "What do you want" He's hilarious :) I'm playing the wizard, bit finicky in the spell casting department and it took to lvl 13 until I figured out how to cast the spells you spend skill points on. Guess now I need more slots in my inventory!

Game play is fun, using two totally different looking characters helps with keeping track of who is who. That is, until the game decides to add 'helpers' that sometimes are exactly the same character as you are playing. Double giant butts walking around or identical wizards. Where am I is still the most used question during the game. At least it's very forgiving with continues, very generous with loot.

The UI is terrible though, so many steps between 'quests'. Identify all loot items one by one, exit Inn. Go to temple, resurrect bones, bury others. Go to inn, select new companions. Check equipment on both characters to identify upgrades. My wife hands the controller to me as she can't make sense of how the inventory works. Select an item, click on it, check the equivalents, exit back to see what you had, x again to compare, x to confirm. If it's not actually the same category you wasted a slot, redo. Select next item etc. Go to magic shop separately with each character to repair equipment, sell unwanted items. Go to guild, one after the other again, to turn in quests, spend skill points and select new quest(s).

We did the quest thing wrong at first, assumed that me selecting the quests they would count for the party, both of us. Then we noticed that I was somehow getting more XP and skill points than my wife. So she went into the guild with her character to check the quests and all the quests we had already done were still available for her. What a dumb system! So we ended up doing a lot of the early stuff 3 or 4 times. (The quests are pretty vague in how to finish them as well)

Anyway, fun game, could use a lot of streamlining, lot less busy work between quests. It would be a real chore with 4 characters having to do all those steps one after the other... Not difficult so far, but we unintentionally grinded the early quests a lot, so probably ahead of the difficulty curve.

SvennoJ said:

I just bought the Hazelight Bundle on PSN with It Takes Two and No Way Out (on sale until the 19th) as my wife and I are desperately looking for some good co-op games. These two look good but we would like some senseless co-op violence as well to relief stress :)

We used to have stuff like Halo and Killzone for that but since Halo cancelled split-screen co-op and Call of Duty is not welcome in our house, what is a fun corridor shooter to enjoy together? Serious Sam 4 seems to have dropped split screen as well, how does Serious Sam 3 hold up nowadays? (12 years old now already wow)

Anyway, what can we play together to shoot the shit out of everything on screen :)

If you have a 360 w/ HDD, original Xbox or emulator, you could play Brute Force. It’s a tactical co-op fps. The AI is great though the enemies are repetitive. Every level is designed carefully and gives you lots of freedom of approach. The sci-fi characters are kinda lame, but the dialogue and gameplay is a lot of fun. 

Borderlands 2
Gears
Overcooked 2
A Way Out
Turtles in Time
NSMB

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden