By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split-screen co-op games needed

Zkuq said:

Not a shooter, but for the murder itch, it probably doesn't hurt too much to suggest Dynasty Warriors. Not sure if it's at all suitable, but if it is, get the 8th one instead of the 9th one. The Warriors Orochi games might also do the trick (they're kind of more of the same).

We played that series a lot during the 7th gen, kinda burned out on it. But it has been years since we last played a Dynasty game, the chaos was always fun. It's time to revive that fun. Downloaded the 8th one :)

Haha, I need to look better. Just started the game and it said would you like to download your progress from PS3. I though 6 was the last we played. Didn't work btw, which makes sense as I never uploaded the game save on ps3. I guess it just noticed the trophies and gave the option. Will be better to replay from the start anyway, it's been 10 years now since we last played it!

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 08 January 2023

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

The Ascent, Overcooked 2, and Gears of War series all offer a solid split screen experience.

Thanks, I forgot about Gears of War having split-screen and I do have Gears 5 laying around, not played yet.
That will satisfy the senseless murder itch :)

Runa216 said:

Not split screen but Elden Ring is VERY coop friendly. If it's you and your partner, I imagine a whole lot of 'ooh, I found a flower' followed by 'BABE THIS TANK KNIGHT IS AFTER ME! CAN YOU DRAW SOME AGRO PLEASE?!'

Good fun. Only problem is that the invasions fucking suck and anyone who participates in them are trash people.

Yeah no, got to be simple, stress relief, not looking for more stress :p

Barozi said:

Every Borderlands game.

Honestly, I would suggest you to get a cheap secondary console (Series S for example) and hook that up on another TV, preferably in the same room. That way you have a much bigger selection. That's certainly what I would do if my wife was playing videogames....

We do have 2 tvs in the living room already and 2 ps5, but rather play on the same screen with one sound source. 2 TVs is not ideal with different sound profiles. But as a last resort, it is an option. Does that work in LAN co-op or are do we still have to deal with our shoddy internet?

I played Borderlands yet it misses the mark due to its open world RPG quest nature. We're just looking for senseless action without any possibility of getting lost! We have the other bases covered already :) The FPS version of streets or rage 4 is what we want.

Anyway will try Gears 5, should fit the bill.

You can look for yourself here:

https://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

You can filter by LAN/System-Link, split screen or couch-co-op. Sadly not by genre.

Barozi said:

You can filter by LAN/System-Link, split screen or couch-co-op. Sadly not by genre.

Thanks, that's a depressing selection. Not up to date I assume. PS4 and XBox One already hardly have any choice.
It's basically CoD or Gears for shooters, or go back at least a decade. Installing Gears 5!

Has anyone played the Serious Sam collection? Serious Sam 3 seems the be the last in the series that has local split screen, and is in the collection. Only 10$ atm, bought it for 4 player split-screen mayhem. Looks like it should be fun!

I was looking for new games, but the past will do :)

SvennoJ said:
Barozi said:

Thanks, that's a depressing selection. Not up to date I assume. PS4 and XBox One already hardly have any choice.
It's basically CoD or Gears for shooters, or go back at least a decade. Installing Gears 5!

Has anyone played the Serious Sam collection? Serious Sam 3 seems the be the last in the series that has local split screen, and is in the collection. Only 10$ atm, bought it for 4 player split-screen mayhem. Looks like it should be fun!

I was looking for new games, but the past will do :)

Well it's depressing simply because there haven't been a lot of FPS released during 8th gen.

I only played Serious Sam 1,2 and 4 so I can't comment on 3. Pretty mindless but fun. Not exactly a corridor shooter though as some areas can be pretty big.

Barozi said:

Well it's depressing simply because there haven't been a lot of FPS released during 8th gen.

I only played Serious Sam 1,2 and 4 so I can't comment on 3. Pretty mindless but fun. Not exactly a corridor shooter though as some areas can be pretty big.

We got to chapter 4 in Gears 5. Fun but still a lot of frustrating things.

Most of the time it's I'm out of ammo, I dropped my weapon again, where are you, where does it wants us to go, I can't see anything, what's shooting. But the action feels solid (while you have ammo, a lot of melee and reviving...) Too bad a lot of the time we're looking for ammo or trying to swap guns, no auto pickup option and the stupid limit of 2 guns at a time. (There are 2 more slots but they just seems to be for grenades and a useless pistol) 2 more people following us plus a robot only makes it harder to see what we're supposed to be doing or who is who. Better identification of enemies would help a lot but I guess it just takes time to get used to the game language.

Biggest gripe is the font and icon size in split-screen. You can make the subtitles bigger yet all the other prompts and text are so tiny I can hardly read them after walking up to the tv to withing 1 foot of the screen. It doesn't help my Halo anniversary edition controller has no color coded buttons which the prompts all use. And we're both far more used to Sony's button placement with X at the bottom instead of A. Needless to say, we were a cluster fuck all through chapter one haha. Good for some laughs, beginner difficulty, auto-aim, we still suck :)

Will try Serious Sam tomorrow, looks like that's a bit more co-op friendly. Less clutter, better lighting (as in you can see the enemies) and hopefully less scrounging for ammo.

And of course got to rant a bit about the modern game experience:
Insert disc, complex selection of what to install trying to peddle DLC, pressuring me to get game pass to play online etc
Find second controller, batteries ran out while not in use, but I had charged ones standing by, no need to play wired :)
Start game, try to figure out how to get split-screen going, player 2 needs an account
Create account, means create email, confirmation codes back and forth, preferences, decline offers, get pressed for game pass another bunch of times.
But in less than an hour we had the game going!
No save option, I hope we can continue where we left off next time. Took a while to remember where to find the power off option, I hope it saved it.

With all the emphasis on clutter in modern games I can see how split-screen lost popularity. Even though our TV is 65" now, it's still harder to see where to go and what to aim at than when we were playing split-screen on a 34" CRT. Anyway Gears 5 is plenty fun so far.

Around the Network

The Lego games is a lot of fun for casual coop play. It helps a lot if one is a fan of the franchise since the cut-scenes are more fun when the setting and characters is known beforehand.
I have played the Lego Star Wars games and the Lego Harry Potter games. The game play is very similar and I guess that is true for the rest of them as well.

SvennoJ said:

Barozi said:

We got to chapter 4 in Gears 5. Fun but still a lot of frustrating things.

Most of the time it's I'm out of ammo, I dropped my weapon again, where are you, where does it wants us to go, I can't see anything, what's shooting. But the action feels solid (while you have ammo, a lot of melee and reviving...) Too bad a lot of the time we're looking for ammo or trying to swap guns, no auto pickup option and the stupid limit of 2 guns at a time. (There are 2 more slots but they just seems to be for grenades and a useless pistol) 2 more people following us plus a robot only makes it harder to see what we're supposed to be doing or who is who. Better identification of enemies would help a lot but I guess it just takes time to get used to the game language.

Biggest gripe is the font and icon size in split-screen. You can make the subtitles bigger yet all the other prompts and text are so tiny I can hardly read them after walking up to the tv to withing 1 foot of the screen. It doesn't help my Halo anniversary edition controller has no color coded buttons which the prompts all use. And we're both far more used to Sony's button placement with X at the bottom instead of A. Needless to say, we were a cluster fuck all through chapter one haha. Good for some laughs, beginner difficulty, auto-aim, we still suck :)

Will try Serious Sam tomorrow, looks like that's a bit more co-op friendly. Less clutter, better lighting (as in you can see the enemies) and hopefully less scrounging for ammo.

And of course got to rant a bit about the modern game experience:
Insert disc, complex selection of what to install trying to peddle DLC, pressuring me to get game pass to play online etc
Find second controller, batteries ran out while not in use, but I had charged ones standing by, no need to play wired :)
Start game, try to figure out how to get split-screen going, player 2 needs an account
Create account, means create email, confirmation codes back and forth, preferences, decline offers, get pressed for game pass another bunch of times.
But in less than an hour we had the game going!
No save option, I hope we can continue where we left off next time. Took a while to remember where to find the power off option, I hope it saved it.

With all the emphasis on clutter in modern games I can see how split-screen lost popularity. Even though our TV is 65" now, it's still harder to see where to go and what to aim at than when we were playing split-screen on a 34" CRT. Anyway Gears 5 is plenty fun so far.

While you're still playing Gears 5, You should checkout Hivebusters and Horde mode as well. Hivebusters is a story DLC expansion that I personally enjoyed and was reviewed highly. You play as a different cast of characters. You don't have to pay for it if you have Game Pass Ultimate. One of the characters can drop ammo on the spot so there is one less thing to think about lol. Horde mode has waves of enemies while adding character abilities and light base building. Nothing too complex though. You can even be the robot. 

Pajderman said:

The Lego games is a lot of fun for casual coop play. It helps a lot if one is a fan of the franchise since the cut-scenes are more fun when the setting and characters is known beforehand.
I have played the Lego Star Wars games and the Lego Harry Potter games. The game play is very similar and I guess that is true for the rest of them as well.

Yeah we played so many of them, star wars, indiana jones, harry potter, batman, ninjago, lotr. And indeed, the game play is the same every time so we had enough of those :/ We also played Skylanders and Lego Dimensions, buying whole bags of the figures at garage sales :)

Anyway all this just keeps reinforcing the point couch co-op is dying :( You would think the lock downs would have inspired a revival of couch co-op but doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we can play the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games again, those were fun and have been remastered in 2021. Champions of Norrath was great as well. Hmm $40 each on PSN for Dark Alliance, I'll just stick the discs in the PS2 :) Doesn't look like they were high effort remasters sadly.

I've been on the lookout for some games to play with my wife as well! I've managed to find some though none of these are splitscreen (I wish EA would release another Army of Two or at least release the old ones for modern consoles!). A modern Ghost Recon with splitscreen would be an insta-buy as well!

Anyway, My current co-op picks: Dragon's Crown (RPG beat 'em up), Blazing Chrome (Contra-like), Alienation (twin-stick shooter), Dead Nation (twin-stick shooter), Contra Anniversary Collection, Streets of Rage 4 (beat 'em up) and Huntdown (Sidescroller platformer/shoot 'em up).

Not sure if it's up your alley, but Outward was (for my son and me) great and fun co-op experience.

It's an open-world survival RPG, that although made by Canadian devs, firmly falls under Eurojank category (that is, ambitious A/AA projects that have plenty of fresh ideas, but not AAA polishing - like Gothic back in days). Haven't played it for quite a bit, in the meantime they've released a lot of additional content and improvements, so sooner than later I have to check it out again, most likely with my other son (my wife would love to play it, but she's really bad with gamepads).