By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

Alright I'll just post my next 5 now before I get too far behind. The unguessed ones were 30, 29 and 26 which were Persona 3, Tales of the Abyss and Diablo III.

Placement/

Last Year

Write-up

(Box) Art

Persona 3 FES

Persona 3 is a bit of a lobsided experience with a lot of excellent elements and some that are lacking. The story is one of the excellent elements with an epic finale as well and the music is another one with a top tier soundtrack. There are also several interesting characters both in and outside of your party which is great since half the experience of a Persona game is interacting with those characters. Unfortunately, the other half of the experience, the dungeon crawling, leaves a lot to be desired here. Tartarus is quite simply repetitive with more than 200 randomly generated floors with mostly just aesthetic differences, and the combat, while not terrible as such, is very limited by the fact that you only directly control one of 4 party members. Now it is true that the later PSP version fixed this problem, but unfortunately it was a downgrade in many other regards, leaving Persona 3 in an awkward place with no one definitive edition, which is why (as unlikely as it is) I think it could benefit immensely from a ground-up remake someday combing the best of both worlds and giving Tartarus a serious rework. A man can dream at least, but regardless, even flawed as it is there’s still enough greatness here for me to consider P3 among my favorite JRPGs.

Tales of the Abyss

Unlike Persona 3 with its “lopsidedness”, Tales of the Abyss is to me a very balanced JRPG that delivers strongly on all fronts even if it doesn’t necessarily stand out quite as much in any particular one. It mimics closely another game higher on my list and well that might be part of the reason I love it, learn from the best as they say. Tales of the Abyss is probably overdue for a replay however as, while I remember the characters well, some of the details of the story are getting hazy to me by now, but I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time around.

NieR: Automata

2017 was really a packed year for great games, so I think many, myself included, only got to try out this gem a bit further down the line. It has long been clear that Platinum knows what they’re doing when it comes to combat and yep; they nailed it here as well. Throw on top of that a beautiful semi-open world and some great characters and it’s a recipe for success. I have to admit that the story itself is a bit up and down for me, but when it hits, it hits hard and there are certainly some parts in there that I won’t soon be forgetting.

Nier Automata cover art.jpg

Super Mario Odyssey

Well yeah, it’s Super Mario Odyssey what can I say? It’s fun, it’s charming, the open levels are a blast to explore and the new moves Mario can pull off with Cappy allow for more advanced platforming than ever. It’s a pretty easy game to beat for sure, but also provides some challenges here and there for those that are up for the task. I think my one issue with this platforming masterpiece was that the many, many moons were sprinkled a bit too generously around the levels. It does kind of devalue them a bit when sometimes you can get one for simply ground-pounding in the right spot. But regardless of its questionable moon economy I would most definitely call Odyssey one of the best 3D platformers out there.

Super Mario Odyssey - Collage Plakat, Poster online på Europosters

Diablo III

A bit of a divisive title for sure, but personally I always liked Diablo III and after the Reaper of Souls expansion there was a while were I really loved it. I think the main reason I enjoyed it so much is that the combat itself just feels head and shoulders above other top-down RPGs I’ve played. There are tons of abilities to choose from with variations to each one, and while I know a few were against it I very much enjoyed that you could respec on the fly since it let you try out everything and allowed you to go for a completely different build if you found some gear that complimented it. It also serves to the game’s credit that I felt compelled to create characters of every class and get them to high level. It’s been a few years since I’ve played the game now, but maybe one day I’ll pick up the Necromancer DLC and give it another go.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
mZuzek said:

Not quite.

Guess I can't tell my Metroids apart. Prime 2 then?

Yeah.

YoY: -3     My Rating: 9.2/10

Another one of the more obscure titles on my list, Grandia was a game I discovered somewhat randomly while browsing through the PS1 section of the PS Store well over a decade ago now. I was a bit starved for new JRPGs at the time, the genre being in a bit of a slump on home consoles at the time, and this one looked like it might be interesting, so I decided to give it a go. A few hours later I was hooked, and several dozen later it had become one of my favourite games of its kind in general.

One of the key reasons why I love the game so much, is because it manages to capture a very specific feeling in a way that few games can, and that's the feeling of adventure. Which is fitting considering adventure is the main character's primary motivation at the start of the game. Other reasons follow, but that's where the game starts, and it creates that sense of awe and discovery with every new location the player visits. In general, Grandia does a great job at characterization. Every one of the characters you play as has their own specific goals and dreams, and the game makes sure to make each one stand out in one way or another. Another aspect that deserves to be mentioned is the battle system, which is really well designed and should be adapted for use by other games as well. The great music, upbeat and often whimsical story, and especially the characters make this a game I will go back to again one day.

My List as of today December 07th, 2022

Position Game Last year comparison 2021 Ups/down Year 
25 The Last of us (PS3)   Previous No. 18  ↓7 down 2013
26 Red dead redemption 1 (Xbox 360)   Previous No. 23  ↓3 down 2010
27 Portal 2 (Xbox360)  Previous no. 30  ↑ 3 Up 2011
28 SoulCalibur (Sega DC)   Previous No. 16  ↓12 down 1998
29 Metal gear solid 4: Guns of the patriots (PS3)    Previous No. 22 ↓7 down 2008
30 Psychonauts 2 (PS4)  Previous No. 26  ↓4 down 2021
31 The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past (SNES)  Previous No. 25  ↓6 down 1992
32 Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4) Previous No. 47  ↑ 15 Up 2019 Biggest winner
33 Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)   Previous No. 27  ↓6 down 1999
34 Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time (PS3) NEW   2009 NEW
35 Tales of Symphonia (NGC)   Previous No. 31  ↓4 down 2003
36 Batman: Arkham City (PS3)   Previous No. 32  ↓4 down 2011
37 Braid (Xbox360)   Previous No. 33  ↓4 down 2008
38 Jet Grind Radio (Sega DC)  Previous No. 37  ↓1 down 2000 Minor fall 
39 Resident Evil Code Veronica (Sega DC)  Previous No. 38  ↓1 down 2000 Minor fall 
40 Diddy Kong Racing (N64) Previous No. 39 ↓1 down 1997 Minor fall 
41 Vanquish (PS3)  Previous No. 40  ↓1 down 2010 Minor fall 
42 Dead Space (Xbox360)  Previous No. 41  ↓1 down 2008 Minor fall 
43 Bioshock (Xbox 360)  Previous No. 43 = same - 2007
44 Katamari Damacy (PS2)  Previous No. 50  ↑ 6 Up 2004
45 Halo: 2 (Xbox)  Previous No. 35  ↓10 down 2004
46 Sonic Adventure (Sega DC)  Previous No. 36  ↓10 down 1998
47 Paper Mario 2: A thousand year-door (NGC)  Previous No. 34 ↓13 down 2004 Biggest fall
48 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC)  Previous No. 44 ↓4 down 2002
49 Street fighter II (Arcade)  Previous No. 45 ↓4 down 1991
50 Super Smash bros Ultimate (NS) Previous No. 48  ↓2 down 2018

Link_knight30 said:

My List as of today December 07th, 2022

Wrong thread?

Around the Network

Okay so we caught up, and even #23 has already been guessed, but here's second hints for the others, and #22 added.

25 - Halfway through the list some of you are probably thinking "how has there still not been a game from this series, this series of all series in S.Peelman's list?" Well, here is one.
Hint 2: I have mentioned this plenty of times on this site before, but this is the one that amazed my young self because of a certain weather effect at the start. Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

24 - The box-art of this game depicts a sequence that's used as the exciting intro for this game, which happens to actually be a flashback from the story halfway through the game.
Hint 2: It's quite the chilly sequence. Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

23 - The great soundtrack that sounds a little like wedding dance music and the 'secret' (but not really secret) storybook backstory make this game stand above its equally acclaimed sequel for me. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - Super Mario Galaxy

22 - It is staring right at you. Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 07 December 2022

Guessed by @UnderwaterFunktown

This should have been the greatest Metroid game.

It absolutely perfected the foreboding atmosphere the franchise is known for. It managed to bring in alien characters and dialogue, making its story a lot more engaging than its predecessor, without losing anything in terms of lore or that feeling of isolation that defines the series. The art direction is breathtaking and evocative, every room, every area not only looks beautiful but gets you thinking of what used to be. Unlike the somewhat disjointed world of the first game, Aether feels tangible and connected, it feels like a real place, and you can see how the Luminoth used to live there. And the smaller-scale level design is fantastically realized too, with an insane amount of twisting interconnected rooms and corridors that are impossible not to get lost in - it's overwhelming, but so very Metroid.

Unfortunately, for as much as it gets right, Echoes never reached its fullest potential because of a few bad decisions and a rushed development cycle (not helped by the attempt to force in a multiplayer mode, I'm sure). It is clear to see where corners have been cut, especially when you see the blocked passageways in the dark world, the type of thing you'd expect to find an upgrade for, but it never comes. Speaking of the dark world, it is single-handedly the worst thing about the game - never mind having the gameplay interrupted by loading screens, the main issue was the decision to make the player heal (very slowly) inside the light beacons. I get that they'd risk making the game way too hard without that, but what they've done instead is replace the dark world's tension, with boredom. Because let's face it, we all just sit there inside those beacons for minutes at a time to heal. And limited ammunition on the special beams sucked.

Anyways, it's hard not to feel disappointed by Prime 2, because it is so good when it's at its best. And to be fair, even with its issues, it would've still been the best game in nearly any other series. But Metroid games are very high quality, and they don't often do "flawed". Echoes does, and that sucks, but this is still an amazing game, and outside of the few things it gets (quite) wrong, it honestly should be seen as the blueprint for what a Metroid Prime game should be.

Top 50 >>

#27 Graveyard Keeper
guessed by no one
platform Switch/Linux/Xbox One
release year 2018
developer/publisher Lazy Bear Games/tinyBuild
genre simulation/adventure
links Wikipedia, Moby games, trailer
past years 2021: #23, 2020: #37

Graveyard Keeper was an interesting surprise to me. The description caught me, by describing that you keep a graveyard in good condition, while also indicating a strange and morbid humour. And yes, it delivered. To the point I bought it again for multiple platforms and have replayed it now. Especially since it got expanded with DLC.

The game starts with a short sequence, in which the character seemingly dies in our world, while returning home to his love. He ends up in a kinda medieval world, where he is appointed the new Graveyard Keeper in line with the Ancient Contract. Nobody here seems suprised, that out of nowhere a new Graveyard Keeper turns up. At first you are tasked with digging up a skull named Gerry. Once unearthed said skull helps you to find your footing in your tasks, while also pointing out possibilities for profit, which in turn he wants to turn into alcohol.

You have to bury the corpses you get delivered by a talking donkey, while keeping that graveyard tidy, so the quality goes up. With high enough graveyard quality the bishop allows to hold sermons. You also have a garden in which you can grow crops, which you can cook or brew beer with. And you can mine, cut down trees and getting lots of resources, which you can use in crafting more and more advanced stuff to keep everything going.

A major part is alchemy, that allows you to craft potions and embalming liquids. You can use pretty much everything as a source of alchemical substances, including the corpses and their organs.

This all is combined with an interesting story that unfolds. This world and the villagers have a past, which you can slowly uncover as you help with various problems they face. But over all is the task of your main character: get back to his own world and to his love. The tone of the story is often light, even with a dark history of this world. Expect some quite morbid jokes.

The game has a pretty artstyle, and some nice effects for a 2D game with cool lighting and weather effects. The music is quite catchy, although more titles for less repetition would have been nice.

The game has three DLCs. Breaking Dead (which is included usually in PC versions) allows you to create Zombies, which you can use to automate tasks. Highly recommended, because cutting down a tree is only fun for the first thousand times or so. Stranger Sins adds a tavern and a lot of story about things that happened 200 years ago. It is quite nice to see the ruins you encounter everywhere as actual buildings in the past. Game of Crone and Better Save Soul are the newest DLCs, which add new mechanics and stories.

One thing annoyed me: the fishing minigame is bad. I hate it. Luckily I can buy every fish I need for the story from the fisherman at the lighthouse. I also recommend to buy a teleport stone early on from the tavern owner, so you don't need to walk everywhere.

Overall this was a very enjoyable experience for me. It may be too grindy for some, or the humour too lowbrow and morbid. But if you can enjoy that, this game is very fun. It is available pretty much everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5S5rlKf_M&ab_channel=tinyBuildGAMES

Last edited by Mnementh - on 07 December 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:

Okay so we caught up, and even #23 has already been guessed, but here's second hints for the others, and #22 added.

25 - Halfway through the list some of you are probably thinking "how has there still not been a game from this series, this series of all series in S.Peelman's list?" Well, here is one.
Hint 2: I have mentioned this plenty of times on this site before, but this is the one that amazed my young self because of a certain weather effect at the start.

24 - The box-art of this game depicts a sequence that's used as the exciting intro for this game, which happens to actually be a flashback from the story halfway through the game.
Hint 2: It's quite the chilly sequence.

23 - The great soundtrack that sounds a little like wedding dance music and the 'secret' (but not really secret) storybook backstory make this game stand above its equally acclaimed sequel for me. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - Super Mario Galaxy

22 - It is staring right at you.

Is #25 A Link to the Past? (rain?)

Is #24 Uncharted 2?

Is #22 Majora's Mask?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Sorry I've been MIA for a while!

More hints!

#35 - A gag at the end of this game promised a numbered sequel; instead we got a vehicle construction game
Banjo-Tooie (guessed by Darashiva)

#34 - A demo for this game was included on a collector's disc with ports of four other games from the same franchise
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (guessed by UnderwaterFunktown)

#33 - The same folks who made #35 made this game, which is finally getting an official re-release after 25 years
GoldenEye 007 (guessed by Darashiva)

#32 - This open-world RPG features a geographic region dominated by a race that shares its name with the villains of Thor 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (unguessed)

#31 - A major console maker passed on publishing this game in the west, something it rectified 11 years later
Demon's Souls (guessed by Darashiva)

Results from #35-31