By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't believe they removed A plague tale: innocence

zero129 said:
Runa216 said:

reason #1 why I will never buy into GamePass/Now or any streaming service. The impermenant element of it completely ruins it for me. With passive entertainment like TV shows and movies, you can kinda half pay attention to it and it's fine. but with video games when there's a time limit it becomes work

That time limit was 3 years. How long does it take someone to finish or play a game if they are interested in it?.

If it takes them more then 3 years to finish a game they are interested in then the fault lays on them. However the other option for someone who is interested in the game but didnt want gamepass would be to buy it. And guess what them users could and still can buy it...

Having 3rd party games removed after the license runs out as a reason for not using gamepass is the biggest load of horseshit ive ever seen as the other option for them gamers who use this excuse is to then go and buy the game and gamepass does not take that option away..

Oh sweetheart, are you new to this? Gamers with a backlog is such a common thing it's basically a meme now. I personally have a backlog of hundreds of games JUST on my PS5 that I'll likely never get to. People on steam i know regularly have hundreds (if not thousands) of games and have played less than 10% of them. 

I don't disagree with the idea that 'it was there for three years, you had plenty of time', but the reality is that the very reality that these games could go away means they have 0 value for me. Gamepass has no value because I like actually having my games. I build a collection. I like lending them out. I like filling shelves. I won't buy into gamepass or PS+ because I don't own the games and don't get to decide what to do with it. And to be clear, it's obvious that OP here was commenting on the timing, them taking it away right before the sequel dropped. You know, when interest in the game is picking up and those interested in the sequel might want to play the first one to gauge interest. 

Why is that so hard to understand? for some people, this is fine. I'm not saying GamePass is inherently bad. I am simply explaining why I don't personally find value in it. 

Jesus everything has to be console wars with some people. I even SPECIFICALLY pointed out that the EXACT same logic applies to Sony and EVERY OTHER subscription based game service due to the interactive nature of the medium. but no, this was apparently a knock on gamepass because in this one instance Gamepass was the culprit even though the exact same thing happens on other services, too. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Barozi said:

Yeah but you could say that at every single point in time. What's with the ~10m people that are going to buy a Series X|S next year and discover the sequel via Game Pass? That's not an insignificant number either but no matter when you remove a game from the service there will always be people that are missing out.

Either the games are on the service forever (which would make them much more costly for Microsoft and in turn you will receive less and older games) or they are limited for a certain period but you'll get more and newer releases. IMO the latter is the far superior option as the value is far higher. Who is going to pay $10 or $15 a month for a subscription service when it's only made up of $10 games? Certainly not people who can't play all day.

As for Microsoft, they certainly did enough to promote the game beforehand. The trailers were in several Xbox shows and it was known early on that it's going to be a day one Game Pass title. If people were excited for it, they had enough time to play the prequel on Game Pass in preperation for the sequel.

Oh I agree, and like I said its 100% the gamers' fault.  MS can market the hell out of it but if these gamers didn't notice it and missed out then its their loss. 

The only gripe for these gamers really would be the timing of said removed games.  GP just had to remove it when the new one came out but if they removed it any other time it wouldn't have been a big deal. Granted, I'm sure that was probably what MS had contracted it and that's just how it is.  

It's just a marketing thing to get those that missed out to try and pay more for it.  That's how it usually is with the streaming services; like how Disney+ removed Avatar so they could re-release it in theaters etc.

I can see where they are coming from but since the majority of third party games are on the service for 12 months and a couple for 24 months there's no reason to complain here when this game has been on the service for much longer than the average third party game.

Last edited by Barozi - on 27 October 2022

Runa216 said:
zero129 said:

That time limit was 3 years. How long does it take someone to finish or play a game if they are interested in it?.

If it takes them more then 3 years to finish a game they are interested in then the fault lays on them. However the other option for someone who is interested in the game but didnt want gamepass would be to buy it. And guess what them users could and still can buy it...

Having 3rd party games removed after the license runs out as a reason for not using gamepass is the biggest load of horseshit ive ever seen as the other option for them gamers who use this excuse is to then go and buy the game and gamepass does not take that option away..

Oh sweetheart, are you new to this? Gamers with a backlog is such a common thing it's basically a meme now. I personally have a backlog of hundreds of games JUST on my PS5 that I'll likely never get to. People on steam i know regularly have hundreds (if not thousands) of games and have played less than 10% of them. 

I don't disagree with the idea that 'it was there for three years, you had plenty of time', but the reality is that the very reality that these games could go away means they have 0 value for me. Gamepass has no value because I like actually having my games. I build a collection. I like lending them out. I like filling shelves. I won't buy into gamepass or PS+ because I don't own the games and don't get to decide what to do with it. And to be clear, it's obvious that OP here was commenting on the timing, them taking it away right before the sequel dropped. You know, when interest in the game is picking up and those interested in the sequel might want to play the first one to gauge interest. 

Why is that so hard to understand? for some people, this is fine. I'm not saying GamePass is inherently bad. I am simply explaining why I don't personally find value in it. 

Jesus everything has to be console wars with some people. I even SPECIFICALLY pointed out that the EXACT same logic applies to Sony and EVERY OTHER subscription based game service due to the interactive nature of the medium. but no, this was apparently a knock on gamepass because in this one instance Gamepass was the culprit even though the exact same thing happens on other services, too. 

We're similar in many regards but there's one thing I disagree with. Having games disappear from the service is perfect for people with backlogs as it actually forces people to play games they normally wouldn't touch for years. Just recently started and finished The Forgotten City which will be removed from Game Pass at the end of the month. I had it installed since the day it launched on Game Pass but never touched it and honestly never considered to play it. If I had bought it or if it was never going to be removed from Game Pass, I most likely wouldn't have played it. What a fantastic game.

So yeah, I need this kind of pressure to get things done. Otherwise I probably would've wasted my time by watching some YouTube videos all day long.

If I knew that my physical backlog vanishes soon (for whatever reason), I would finally play all those games instead of looking for reasons not to play them.

My only complaint right now: Microsoft should announce the removal of those games 1 month before they leave - not just 2 weeks.

Runa216 said:
zero129 said:

Im a PC gamer, so trust me i have a massive backlog. But i dont sub to gamepass to add to my backlog as i understand games are going to be removed when their license runs out.. If i wanted to add plagues tale to my backlog id of just paid for it like you would have to do anyways if you wasnt subbed. I wouldnt sign up for gamepass just to have that one game sitting endlessly in my backlog i sign up to gamepass to play new games on release and give me a reason to play them.

Also the is no console wars here as im speaking for sub services so that goes for both Ms and Sony but if you want to take it like that its up to you.

Fact is you still have to pay for the game if its not on gamepass and you want to add it to that backlog where as gamepass and psnow gives you a chance to play them games when they are new for a fraction of the cost along with 100's of more games. they are not stopping you from buying a game to add to your backlog.

gamepass has actually helped me not build up a huge backlog

Around the Network
Barozi said:

We're similar in many regards but there's one thing I disagree with. Having games disappear from the service is perfect for people with backlogs as it actually forces people to play games they normally wouldn't touch for years. Just recently started and finished The Forgotten City which will be removed from Game Pass at the end of the month. I had it installed since the day it launched on Game Pass but never touched it and honestly never considered to play it. If I had bought it or if it was never going to be removed from Game Pass, I most likely wouldn't have played it. What a fantastic game.

So yeah, I need this kind of pressure to get things done. Otherwise I probably would've wasted my time by watching some YouTube videos all day long.

If I knew that my physical backlog vanishes soon (for whatever reason), I would finally play all those games instead of looking for reasons not to play them.

My only complaint right now: Microsoft should announce the removal of those games 1 month before they leave - not just 2 weeks.

Man, I wish I wasn't neurodivergent. ADHD with OCPD. I like doing things on my own time, for the most part. The idea that an outside force will dictate what I can and cannot play completely ruins the fun for me and fills me with a level of rage I can't understate. To me, games are about leisure and fun. Being in a situation where I don't get to decide when and where to play a game is just antithetical to why I like games. If it becomes work, then what's even the point? 

but yeah, for those who don't have a crippling mental disorder like me, getting more time or warning before it goes away would have been nice. 

zero129 said:

Im a PC gamer, so trust me i have a massive backlog. But i dont sub to gamepass to add to my backlog as i understand games are going to be removed when their license runs out.. If i wanted to add plagues tale to my backlog id of just paid for it like you would have to do anyways if you wasnt subbed. I wouldnt sign up for gamepass just to have that one game sitting endlessly in my backlog i sign up to gamepass to play new games on release and give me a reason to play them.

Also the is no console wars here as im speaking for sub services so that goes for both Ms and Sony but if you want to take it like that its up to you.

Fact is you still have to pay for the game if its not on gamepass and you want to add it to that backlog where as gamepass and psnow gives you a chance to play them games when they are new for a fraction of the cost along with 100's of more games. they are not stopping you from buying a game to add to your backlog.

To clear things up a bit, it was other people saying stuff like 'anything to shit on MS/gamepass', when that absolutely wasn't my intention. as I said, I feel the same way about PS+/Now and Gamepass equally (As well as all other sub-based services, including live service games and MMOs). Just sort of all got lumped in because meticulously copy and pasting huge quotes like this is weirdly annoying to me so I try to avoid it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Barozi said:

Man, I wish I wasn't neurodivergent. ADHD with OCPD. I like doing things on my own time, for the most part. The idea that an outside force will dictate what I can and cannot play completely ruins the fun for me and fills me with a level of rage I can't understate. To me, games are about leisure and fun. Being in a situation where I don't get to decide when and where to play a game is just antithetical to why I like games. If it becomes work, then what's even the point? 

but yeah, for those who don't have a crippling mental disorder like me, getting more time or warning before it goes away would have been nice. 

zero129 said:

To clear things up a bit, it was other people saying stuff like 'anything to shit on MS/gamepass', when that absolutely wasn't my intention. as I said, I feel the same way about PS+/Now and Gamepass equally (As well as all other sub-based services, including live service games and MMOs). Just sort of all got lumped in because meticulously copy and pasting huge quotes like this is weirdly annoying to me so I try to avoid it. 

Your whole point still makes no sense.

You can be signed up to gamepass to play all them Ms first party games that will never leave the service or a sign up when a game you want to play comes on it (You get months or years to finish it) but if you feel like you wouldnt finish that game before it leaves then you can do what you would do if you was never signed up and thats buy the game and add it to your backlog. Its not one or the other and this is why this excuse is bullshit to me.

This is why subscription services like Gamepass aren't good value.
You don't own the games and they can and will be taken away.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 October 2022

curl-6 said:

This is why subscription services like Gamepass aren't good value.
You don't own the games and they can and will be taken away.

Was rental stores good value?.

SvennoJ said:
OdinHades said:

Got that game free on Epic some time ago. So there you have it, Epic Games > Game Pass.

scnr

I still haven't played it though...

I have it on PS5 from ps+ 'freebie'. Also haven't played it yet, no rush. PS+ games don't disappear.