By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't believe they removed A plague tale: innocence

curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

How's being able to play a $60 game day one for the price of a $10 subscribtion (the game in question is easily finishable in a month) not good value?

If you instead bought it for $60, you would need to complete it 6 times in order to get the same value out of it. How likely is that? I doubt you played through every game in your collection multiple times. In fact most people don't. They complete their games once and maybe come back to play certain favourites once or twice more.

I replay games I enjoy all the time, often many years later. That's the beauty of actually owning a game, I can play it whenever I want, I don't have to pay a monthly fee just for temporary access that can be revoked on a whim.

If you just want to play a game while you can and never go back to it, then yeah, I can see the appeal, but it's just not a good deal for those of us who want to play what we want when we want it, on our own terms.

Even in this scenario there is no downside.  Lets say a game is on GP for one year, you play it once and want to play it again a year from that date when its not there.  Well in reality you just saved yourself 60 to 70 bones depending on the game.  In that time span the game would be much cheaper than its initial price, purchased used even more so.  Unless you believe you are only going to play one game on GP the value is still there.  Also since first/2nd party games do not leave the service you are pretty much protected.

What GP would do is drop the amount of games your purchase that are not worth playing multiple times.  At least for myself, its rare I find a game I want to play more than once.  Why purchase a bunch of games only to find the one or two I care enough about to play years later and even if I found that game it still would be cheaper to purchase either leaving GP or at retail.

Just from my own experience, I have about 500K games just sitting in my garage where their might only be about 10 I would replay at any point in time.  A Sub gives you the ability to play many games and then decide which game is actually worth keeping for multiple playthroughs years later.

Around the Network

Yeah, that removal annoyed me too. Final Fantasy 13 and Plague Tale 1 were removed on the same update, so I had to choose which to play before it was removed. Ended up playing FF13. Now I can't play either Plague Tale game because I won't play them out of order and can't afford to buy the first game, especially without knowing rather or not I will like it.

Just doesn't make sense to remove a game from Gamepass weeks before it's sequel releases. If there was ever a time for Xbox to pay for an extension, that was it. We've seen them pay to extend other games on Gamepass, why not extend Plague Tale for the co-marketing push with the sequel?

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, that removal annoyed me too. Final Fantasy 13 and Plague Tale 1 were removed on the same update, so I had to choose which to play before it was removed. Ended up playing FF13. Now I can't play either Plague Tale game because I won't play them out of order and can't afford to buy the first game, especially without knowing rather or not I will like it.

Just doesn't make sense to remove a game from Gamepass weeks before it's sequel releases. If there was ever a time for Xbox to pay for an extension, that was it. We've seen them pay to extend other games on Gamepass, why not extend Plague Tale for the co-marketing push with the sequel?

"Just doesn't make sense to remove a game from Gamepass weeks before it's sequel releases." you're right it doesn't make sense for Xbox, but make perfect sense for Asobo.

More than likely Asobo is the one that did not renew Innocence presence on GamePass. Probably because they've come to the conclusion that innocence would make more money from the sequel release without being on GamePass for a 4th year than it would with Gamepass revenue.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 28 October 2022

zero129 said:
kenjab said:

Games can and will be removed from it and then you're left with nothing a discount if you want to buy the game and 400+ other games to choose from.

FTFY

This is what annoys me when people use that excuse for not being interested in Gamepass etc. Without gamepass they would still have to buy the game anyways if they wanted to play it. So how does a game after 3 years being removed and then giving them users a discount to buy said game change any of that is beyond me.

And this is what annoys me about gamepass fans, they can't comprehend that some people spend less on games than them. I've bought 2 games this year, at a total price of $80. Gamepass is $10 per month, so that would've been $120 for the year. Saved $40 this year alone. Don't have any games I plan to buy next year either, but I'll still have those 2 games I bought this year, so at the current rate I'll save an additional $120 next year by not paying for gamepass. Potentially an extra $120 every single year from now on too.

Also, while both of the games I bought are on gamepass, 1 of them would've been missing features there (requires the previous games in the series on the same storefront, I already have them on Steam).

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 28 October 2022

Barozi said:
curl-6 said:

This is why subscription services like Gamepass aren't good value.
You don't own the games and they can and will be taken away.

How's being able to play a $60 game day one for the price of a $10 subscribtion (the game in question is easily finishable in a month) not good value?

If you instead bought it for $60, you would need to complete it 6 times in order to get the same value out of it. How likely is that? I doubt you played through every game in your collection multiple times. In fact most people don't. They complete their games once and maybe come back to play certain favourites once or twice more.

Many reasons: 

1 - It's a monthly subscription, so you have to pay that $10 every month. And Not everyone just jumps from one game to another. 

2 - Not everyone NEEDS TO PLAY GAMES AT LAUNCH, so waiting a few months on PS or Xbox will result in that 60 going as low as 20. 

3 - People like owning games.

4 - Putting a potential and unknown time limit on availability, for some people, completely devalues it. Either the unknown element could cause anxiety or turn it into work

I don't get why this is such a difficult thing to understand. NOT EVERYONE FINDS VALUE IN A GAME SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. The sheer dollars and cents of it is absolutely worth it if you compare the monthly fee to what you get, I agree with that 110%. But not everyone games in that specific way. The deal is great if you're the kind of person who likes trying games out and moving on, or experimenting with many things, or don't like owning your games, or see it as a rental service. Not everyone is like that. Plenty of gamers are collectors. Trophy hunters. Or only play a handful of games every year or frequently return to old favourites. 

I'm all of the above. I collect physical games, I collect digital copies when on sale, and despite all that I still only play a few games a year. I collect so my family and friends can play when they're here or to have the games as insurance in case I ever want to play them. 

Honestly, I don't even like BORROWING games FREE OF CHARGE from people I know will let me borrow it as long as I want, because as soon as there's an unknown but potential time limit on it, it gives me stress and anxiety. and I know I'm not the only one. I know I'm the minority but this weird sort of militaristic push for gamepass especially (I mostly see PS people saying PSnow/Plus is pretty crap even though I disagree) just makes me resent it. 

And I pay for gamepass. I have it for guests or if I want to play games on Xbox like Tunic before it came to PS4/5, just don't use it often. I don't hate it, I just don't find any value in it, personally. Because my specific gameplay/collection style doesn't really mesh well with the very specific set of circumstances needed to appreciate Gamepass/Now/Plus. I basically have it in case I wanna play games I already own on another console. I buy games on PS/Switch, and I play gamepass games on Xbox. Even then, kinda not really because why? Why would I outside of the paltry exclusive offerings of Microsoft? 

Again, the sheer dollars and cents of it is an amazing value if all context is stripped. I just personally feel that the interactive/active nature of games as a medium invokes so many qualifiers and quantifiers that a subscription service like this is a bit more circumstantial than people seem to think. Again, if you're the kind of person who likes to try a little bit of everything, or the kind of person that jumps from game to game without sinking much time into each one, or you don't return to old games you like, or if you're not a collector, or if you've got a family and having the options for your kids to play with, I get it. THERE IS A MARKET FOR IT, IT'S JUST NOT FOR ME. Yet every time the topic comes up, it's 'gamepass is awesome and you're stupid for not liking it and all your reasons for not finding value in it are invalid' (Gamepass being a blanket term for all subs, at this point; the same rules apply but I only ever hear about Gamepass because it's virtually all that Xbox has and thus its fanbase has to push it super duper hard). 

And that last one, the family thing? That's the best option if you ask me. If I lived with roommates or a family or a communal group, I would find ALL the value in gamepass. but I live alone with my dog and snakes. I have a PS5 with 350+ games on it and a Switch with 200+ games on it. I DO NOT NEED GAME PASS (Except to play the small handful of Xbox exclusives I genuinely don't even think are all that great. Granted, playing upcoming games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI and Avowed and many more has me excited but right now....all that's there is Grounded and Sea of Thieves). 

I know I keep going in circles, but you Gamepass fellators need to stop pushing it like it's some be-all, end-all, perfect holy bestowment from god above and that anyone who doesn't agree is a heathen worthy of scorn. The fervor in which people praise it is really feeling cult-like to anyone who isn't in on it and it's kind of sad. it's a good service with a great dollar to value ratio that plenty of people enjoy. IT's not universal and y'all need to stop acting like it is. Again, the interactive nature of the medium is a context that matters. And again, I DO PAY FOR IT, simply because I do want to support Gamepass (and have the option in case I ever pick up an Xbox controller again) because I do think it's good value. I've had it for 6 months yet all I've played on it is/was Tunic. then I picked it up on PS5 and haven't gone back. Because now I have that comfort of knowing I can play it any time. 

Just stop treating Gamepass like a religion/cult, would ya? different people find value in different things. It's not universal. if it was, Xbox would be outselling PS and Switch, and it's not. Not even in the US. Cut it out. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
zero129 said:

This is what annoys me when people use that excuse for not being interested in Gamepass etc. Without gamepass they would still have to buy the game anyways if they wanted to play it. So how does a game after 3 years being removed and then giving them users a discount to buy said game change any of that is beyond me.

And this is what annoys me about gamepass fans, they can't comprehend that some people spend less on games than them. I've bought 2 games this year, at a total price of $80. Gamepass is $10 per month, so that would've been $120 for the year. Saved $40 this year alone. Don't have any games I plan to buy next year either, but I'll still have those 2 games I bought this year, so at the current rate I'll save an additional $120 next year by next paying for gamepass. Potentially an extra $120 every single year from now on too.

Also, while both of the games I bought are on gamepass, 1 of them would've been missing features there (requires the previous games in the series on the same storefront, I already have them on Steam).

And then there's sales, the fact people can go back to play old games, and many other factors as well. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And this is what annoys me about gamepass fans, they can't comprehend that some people spend less on games than them. I've bought 2 games this year, at a total price of $80. Gamepass is $10 per month, so that would've been $120 for the year. Saved $40 this year alone. Don't have any games I plan to buy next year either, but I'll still have those 2 games I bought this year, so at the current rate I'll save an additional $120 next year by next paying for gamepass. Potentially an extra $120 every single year from now on too.

And then there's sales, the fact people can go back to play old games, and many other factors as well. 

Yep, my most played game this year is a game from 2013 (EUIV). It's a game with a subscription for all the DLC content too, but buying every DLC at full price on release would still cost less than the subscription per year, plus I still have access to all of that content if I stop paying. So why would I want to throw money down the toilet on a subscription?

Runa216 said:
Barozi said:

Many reasons: 

1 - It's a monthly subscription, so you have to pay that $10 every month. And Not everyone just jumps from one game to another. 

2 - Not everyone NEEDS TO PLAY GAMES AT LAUNCH, so waiting a few months on PS or Xbox will result in that 60 going as low as 20. 

3 - People like owning games.

4 - Putting a potential and unknown time limit on availability, for some people, completely devalues it. Either the unknown element could cause anxiety or turn it into work

I don't get why this is such a difficult thing to understand. NOT EVERYONE FINDS VALUE IN A GAME SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. The sheer dollars and cents of it is absolutely worth it if you compare the monthly fee to what you get, I agree with that 110%. But not everyone games in that specific way. The deal is great if you're the kind of person who likes trying games out and moving on, or experimenting with many things, or don't like owning your games, or see it as a rental service. Not everyone is like that. Plenty of gamers are collectors. Trophy hunters. Or only play a handful of games every year or frequently return to old favourites. 

I'm all of the above. I collect physical games, I collect digital copies when on sale, and despite all that I still only play a few games a year. I collect so my family and friends can play when they're here or to have the games as insurance in case I ever want to play them. 

Honestly, I don't even like BORROWING games FREE OF CHARGE from people I know will let me borrow it as long as I want, because as soon as there's an unknown but potential time limit on it, it gives me stress and anxiety. and I know I'm not the only one. I know I'm the minority but this weird sort of militaristic push for gamepass especially (I mostly see PS people saying PSnow/Plus is pretty crap even though I disagree) just makes me resent it. 

And I pay for gamepass. I have it for guests or if I want to play games on Xbox like Tunic before it came to PS4/5, just don't use it often. I don't hate it, I just don't find any value in it, personally. Because my specific gameplay/collection style doesn't really mesh well with the very specific set of circumstances needed to appreciate Gamepass/Now/Plus. I basically have it in case I wanna play games I already own on another console. I buy games on PS/Switch, and I play gamepass games on Xbox. Even then, kinda not really because why? Why would I outside of the paltry exclusive offerings of Microsoft? 

Again, the sheer dollars and cents of it is an amazing value if all context is stripped. I just personally feel that the interactive/active nature of games as a medium invokes so many qualifiers and quantifiers that a subscription service like this is a bit more circumstantial than people seem to think. Again, if you're the kind of person who likes to try a little bit of everything, or the kind of person that jumps from game to game without sinking much time into each one, or you don't return to old games you like, or if you're not a collector, or if you've got a family and having the options for your kids to play with, I get it. THERE IS A MARKET FOR IT, IT'S JUST NOT FOR ME. Yet every time the topic comes up, it's 'gamepass is awesome and you're stupid for not liking it and all your reasons for not finding value in it are invalid' (Gamepass being a blanket term for all subs, at this point; the same rules apply but I only ever hear about Gamepass because it's virtually all that Xbox has and thus its fanbase has to push it super duper hard). 

And that last one, the family thing? That's the best option if you ask me. If I lived with roommates or a family or a communal group, I would find ALL the value in gamepass. but I live alone with my dog and snakes. I have a PS5 with 350+ games on it and a Switch with 200+ games on it. I DO NOT NEED GAME PASS (Except to play the small handful of Xbox exclusives I genuinely don't even think are all that great. Granted, playing upcoming games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI and Avowed and many more has me excited but right now....all that's there is Grounded and Sea of Thieves). 

I know I keep going in circles, but you Gamepass fellators need to stop pushing it like it's some be-all, end-all, perfect holy bestowment from god above and that anyone who doesn't agree is a heathen worthy of scorn. The fervor in which people praise it is really feeling cult-like to anyone who isn't in on it and it's kind of sad. it's a good service with a great dollar to value ratio that plenty of people enjoy. IT's not universal and y'all need to stop acting like it is. Again, the interactive nature of the medium is a context that matters. And again, I DO PAY FOR IT, simply because I do want to support Gamepass (and have the option in case I ever pick up an Xbox controller again) because I do think it's good value. I've had it for 6 months yet all I've played on it is/was Tunic. then I picked it up on PS5 and haven't gone back. Because now I have that comfort of knowing I can play it any time. 

Just stop treating Gamepass like a religion/cult, would ya? different people find value in different things. It's not universal. if it was, Xbox would be outselling PS and Switch, and it's not. Not even in the US. Cut it out. 

So the bashing of GP is cool with you since you have never addressed this part? Just because some enjoy the service and want to talk about, doesn't make them cult like. This kind of statement makes me think you don't even know how cults function. You seem to have a really hard time ignoring things when it's not relevant to you. Maybe start doing this. That's my advice. 

KratosLives said:
SvennoJ said:

I have it on PS5 from ps+ 'freebie'. Also haven't played it yet, no rush. PS+ games don't disappear.

If you have the game from another service why make this OP than??. Clearly you have another motive for it.

curl-6 said:
zero129 said:

Was rental stores good value?.

Not if you like to own your games instead of having temporary access to it.

And gamepass stops you from doing both how?.