By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Sony to Ship 30 Million PS5 Consoles Next Fiscal Year

trunkswd said:
darthv72 said:

Ahh weight. that makes sense if they are shipping more accessories and games to the US in addition to systems.

Data is showing there has been more PS5 stock in September. But 400% would have been nuts and the data we have isn't showing that much if an improvement. I would assume an increase in PS5 stock also means more accessories and games as you stated. 

Definitely can't be all consoles, but it has me very curious to see the NPD release for September, and of course Sony's quarterly report.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

So that's like a million a week? Sounds nuts. Maybe a week or 2 I could belive. Just to pile up some god of War bundles.

But would they do it so early? I would of said yea sure no problem if it was October.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It may be an optimistic figure but it lines up with what Sony has said about PS5 demand. Not only would it exceed the peak year for PlayStation console shipments but it would be challenging an industry record set by the Nintendo DS. At the very least, I think Sony will be aiming to top PlayStation 2's fiscal record (22.5M+), so I think projections for FY23 will be anywhere from 23M - 25M.

DroidKnight said:

What is the largest amount of any console Sony has shipped in a single year?

Yearly Sales by fiscal year for Playstation home consoles up to FY10.

Note:155 million for PS2 is the last reported figure by Sony, the actual lifetime shipments are unknown but likely around 158 million.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 15 October 2022

This is BOLD

Around the Network

Interesting that they are phasing out the two versions of the system, according to this article, and instead will offer a disk reader as an optional $100 peripheral. It makes sense to streamline production, though I wonder how long they will go with having a single sku, as the trend seems to be more skus per generation, not fewer.

I don't see that happening but could see it beating the PS4's peak year due to all the pent up demand.

We've had this a few weeks ago already and there it was said that they plan to produce 30mil consoles, not ship.
So which is it now, because that isn't exactly the same.

Let's see how the actual shipments align with this forecast:

Sony's FY 2022 (YR3) projection seems accurate. The graph also shows it'll pass PS4 just before September 2023 (launch of the rumored revised model). Hopefully these rumors aren't based on someone looking at this graph and pulling information out of their ass

Kyuu said:

Let's see how the actual shipments align with this forecast:

Sony's FY 2022 (YR3) projection seems accurate. The graph also shows it'll pass PS4 just before September 2023 (launch of the rumored revised model). Hopefully these rumors aren't based on someone looking at this graph and pulling information out of their ass

Hopefully not. The website that reported on it talked to multiple sources. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.