By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Sony to Ship 30 Million PS5 Consoles Next Fiscal Year

30 million seems like it is at the very upper limit of what can actually be produced.

So if you guys remember back Sony declared that it expected to pass the PS4 by the end of FY 23. Clearly 30 million shipments will do it. If this happens it will become the fastest selling console for sure.

The curve on that gap chart will be legendary lol.

Around the Network

Not without a LoD Remake, no.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Anyone who thinks the PS5 can ship 30m in one FY is severely deluding themselves.  It is a level of delusion like thinking the Wii U could ship over 100m lifetime.

So I'm curious what you think are warning signs that the PS5 will not do as well?

Usually the third year is the peak year, and yet you're expecting this year to be the peak year.

Despite the fact that early on it was the fastest selling console, and as far as we can tell was only hampered by the supply shortages, you're also expecting PS5 to be by far the worst selling PlayStation console?

Based on what, exactly?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There is no way they will ship 30m next FY, nor will they even ship 18m this FY. This kind of shows where the Sony executives are at right now: overconfident to the point of being out of touch with reality. This is the same position Nintendo was in when they were launching the Wii U. Success in one generation does not mean similar success in the next.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/wii-u-was-expected-to-sell-100-million-units#:~:text=Nintendo%20president%20Tatsumi%20Kimishima%20commented,Wii%20U%20would%20follow%20suit.

I love your optimistic view of Sony. So you think if Sony could make 18M this FY they wouldn't be able to sell based on they being arrogant?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:

Not without a LoD Remake, no.

Yes, I don't think Sony will be able to produce 30M consoles in FY23 nor remake LoD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

30 million seems high but the current context make it more than plausible.
1. Supply chains issue should be less of a problem by then
2. Sony ps5 is as popular as can be & they sell every unit they produce extremely fast
3. Sony certainly feel the competition rising up the stake and would want to react quickly
4. Rising ps5 production should not concern investor in the slightest giving Sony current position in the market

But that said I don't think this is possible with current assembly line. They would need to expand those and we should hear on this rather soon if Sony goes ahead with this plan.

I'll say with high production numbers and systems on store shelves everywhere so anyone who wants one next fiscal year can get one, PS5 could hit 21 million, assuming they actually have a good lineup for that year as so far two years in the library for PS5 seems very meh.

the-pi-guy said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Anyone who thinks the PS5 can ship 30m in one FY is severely deluding themselves.  It is a level of delusion like thinking the Wii U could ship over 100m lifetime.

So I'm curious what you think are warning signs that the PS5 will not do as well?

Usually the third year is the peak year, and yet you're expecting this year to be the peak year.

Despite the fact that early on it was the fastest selling console, and as far as we can tell was only hampered by the supply shortages, you're also expecting PS5 to be by far the worst selling PlayStation console?

Based on what, exactly?

You weren't responding to me but...what??

Liquid_Laser simply stated he doesn't think PS5 will go from shipping/selling well under 20M this FY to having the single best year for a home console in the history of gaming next FY.

I fail to see how saying PS5 won't have the industry's greatest year ever and ship 30M means that it'll sell worse than PS3 or it'll sell worse than this fiscal year which will be a few million under 20M.

As for warning signs PS5 won't ship (and presumably sell) 30M systems in a year...well I'd say the main warning sign is that PS5 hasn't sold close to 20M yet and 30M would be the best console year ever. And there are so far zero signs that point to PS5 suddenly nearly DOUBLING their annual sales. Seems like a pretty serious warning sign haha.

Like, you comments don't have anything to do with the comment you quoted.

Personally if Sony is planning on shipping anywhere near 30M systems then yes next FY should be PS5's peak year, though I expect that peak to be more like 21M or 22M sales next FY. Granted Sony didn't say they would sell 30M, just ship it, but presumably retailers around the world won't buy like 8 million extra PS5's that they have to store in warehouses for 6 months before they can sell them.

This whole rumor is such a wtf bizarre thing. Producing and shipping 30M in a year means they would have to sell (to retailers) 30M which means they would have to expect to sell about 30M to customers. This means not only do they expect to start producing almost double what they do now, but they expect to sell almost double what they do now. Granted there are supply problems but it's not like there are 10M+ people sitting around who have never seen a PS5 in a store and would instantly pick one up if they could. There's probably a couple million of unmet demand at any time. If PS5 sells let's say like 17M this FY and they expect to have supply problems completely solved next FY and they expect it to be PS5's peak year then selling say like 22M and shipping 23M so that there is plenty of stock is actually realistic. 30M is a joke and well just a rumor.

Unless Sony magically found a way to produce PS5s for hundreds of dollars less and they are gonna cut a couple hundred bucks off the price tag their sales are gonna be lot closer to 20M than 30M.

A GOW: Ragnarok PS5 bundle has been confirmed.

It seems that they might have a shot at achieving 18m units for FY22

Slownenberg said:
the-pi-guy said:

Based on what, exactly?

You weren't responding to me but...what??

Liquid_Laser simply stated he doesn't think PS5 will go from shipping/selling well under 20M this FY to having the single best year for a home console in the history of gaming next FY.

I fail to see how saying PS5 won't have the industry's greatest year ever and ship 30M means that it'll sell worse than PS3 or it'll sell worse than this fiscal year which will be a few million under 20M.

As for warning signs PS5 won't ship (and presumably sell) 30M systems in a year...well I'd say the main warning sign is that PS5 hasn't sold close to 20M yet and 30M would be the best console year ever. And there are so far zero signs that point to PS5 suddenly nearly DOUBLING their annual sales. Seems like a pretty serious warning sign haha.

Like, you comments don't have anything to do with the comment you quoted.

Personally if Sony is planning on shipping anywhere near 30M systems then yes next FY should be PS5's peak year, though I expect that peak to be more like 21M or 22M sales next FY. Granted Sony didn't say they would sell 30M, just ship it, but presumably retailers around the world won't buy like 8 million extra PS5's that they have to store in warehouses for 6 months before they can sell them.

This whole rumor is such a wtf bizarre thing. Producing and shipping 30M in a year means they would have to sell (to retailers) 30M which means they would have to expect to sell about 30M to customers. This means not only do they expect to start producing almost double what they do now, but they expect to sell almost double what they do now. Granted there are supply problems but it's not like there are 10M+ people sitting around who have never seen a PS5 in a store and would instantly pick one up if they could. There's probably a couple million of unmet demand at any time. If PS5 sells let's say like 17M this FY and they expect to have supply problems completely solved next FY and they expect it to be PS5's peak year then selling say like 22M and shipping 23M so that there is plenty of stock is actually realistic. 30M is a joke and well just a rumor.

Unless Sony magically found a way to produce PS5s for hundreds of dollars less and they are gonna cut a couple hundred bucks off the price tag their sales are gonna be lot closer to 20M than 30M.

He was talking to the fact liquid thinks Sony won't reach 18M for this FY and that this FY will be the peak of PS. 30M isn't the relevant fact really.