By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Sony to Ship 30 Million PS5 Consoles Next Fiscal Year

PAOerfulone said:
the-pi-guy said:
PAOerfulone said:

With Microsoft providing tougher competition than last gen and Japanese sales being next to pathetic?
I'm gonna call this is a big fat NO.

Sales are still limited by what Sony makes and ships. Technically sales are even more dire in Japan due to third party buyers shipping consoles out of Japan. 

Next year will likely be bigger for Japan with more shipments and games like FFXVI coming out. 

Besides all that, PS4 did fine without doing that well in Japan. 

I don't doubt that, but 30 million?!?

The Switch sold as well as a console could across all major regions, especially in Japan and the US, and it still came up short. 

Even if Sony isn't limited by production and shipments, I find it very hard to believe that they'll be able to reach that mark. Especially w/ Microsoft closing the gap and gaining momentum since they're in much more direct competition with each other than they are with Nintendo or vice-versa.

With Microsoft pulling ahead in the US and with Japan being near non-existent, it would have to take record breaking sales in Europe and the Rest of the World for them to even have a shot.

Part of why XB Series S/X is doing so well is that some buyers who are looking to get a PS5, can't get their hands on one, or it's just too much of a hassle, so they get an XB Series instead because they've been far more available. As soon as the PS5 becomes more readily available, Sony will begin to more quickly widen the gap, not only from those still looking to get a PS5, but some who now have an XB Series who will also get or trade in for a PS5.

As for 30 million sales in a year, that's an extremely lofty goal, which I find is pushing the limit of what is possible, but in terms of production, Sony could easily make it happen. All they'd have to do is keep selling the 1100 7nm model along with the recent 1200 6nm model. They may need more production for final assembly, but that's something they would have decided long ago to have in place for now. 95% of consumers won't know the difference and won't care which PS5 they had, they'll just be happy they have one.

All Sony would really need to worry about is finding 30 million consumers to buy a PS5 in the next year, and I'd bet 50%-75% of that is already there simply waiting on ease of availability. I don't think 25 million is out of the question, but whether they could reach 30 seems hard to believe. If they did manage close to 30, give or take a couple million, it would be a massive accomplishment, while also being an indicator of poorer XB future sales.

Sony needs this and needs it right about now, like this holiday season. If it was another year into the future, XB very well could have gathered enough momentum to become quite a serious hardware sales threat for the rest of the gen. If Sony pushes out 25+ million PS5's over the next year, then things will shift back closer to last gen's numbers and will continue to, though not entirely.