By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Sony to Ship 30 Million PS5 Consoles Next Fiscal Year

JuliusHackebeil said:
Otter said:

The franchise is still huge, but a big franchise doesn't mean all endevours are massively successful (see Pokemon spinoffs like Pokken). The thing about Hogwarts is that it taps into every Harry Potters fans antasy, its the at the heart of what made the IP successful. It will have a massive fanbase amongst casual gamers, so might be hard to gauge the hype from your perspective... But to put some data to our speculation, the reveal trailer is the most watched game trailer on the playstation channels History.

1. Hogwarts 30m
2. Spiderman (E3 2016) reveal 29m
3. Marvels Spiderman 2 reveal 25m
4. Marvel Spiderman (E3 2017)
5. God of War 23m

The big variable will be quality. But if the game is good, it will easily trump almost all AAA releases we see next year. 

Wow! Colour me absolutely surprised! Did not expect at all that Hogwarts would have that amount of views. I think you are right that it is hard for me to gauge the hype.

I guess we will see. I hope of course that it turns out to be an excellent game. But I have a bad feeling about it for some reason. Combat looks blah to me. Not that this proved to be all important for general audiences in the past. But also the characters seem off brand for some reason. I don't know.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They're building a gameplay/combat system from scratch without too many direct competitors to reference, so I'm expecting some growing pains, but I think it'll be a solid foundation to build a franchise from. And as long as they get the world building and atmosphere right, I think the core gameplay could be quite average and it'll still tick the most important box for the fanbase. Would love for it to come out the gates swinging with an 88-92 metacritic, but I'm expecting a high 70s/low 80s which would be a great achievement for a relatively unknown team on an open world AAA RPG. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

• Price increases outside of the US will hamper global demand.

Non issue. They raised the prices already and the sales increased 

PS5 is totally worth 550 USD and the market recognize that

IcaroRibeiro said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

• Price increases outside of the US will hamper global demand.

Sales increased because of as of yet still unmet demand. But it's probable they would rise even further without them - and they seriously need to if Sony wants to reach it's lofty target.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 October 2022

There is no way they will ship 30m next FY, nor will they even ship 18m this FY. This kind of shows where the Sony executives are at right now: overconfident to the point of being out of touch with reality. This is the same position Nintendo was in when they were launching the Wii U. Success in one generation does not mean similar success in the next.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/wii-u-was-expected-to-sell-100-million-units#:~:text=Nintendo%20president%20Tatsumi%20Kimishima%20commented,Wii%20U%20would%20follow%20suit.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 12 October 2022

Bofferbrauer2 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Sales increased because of as of yet still unmet demand. But it's probable they would rise even further without them - and they seriously need to if Sony wants to reach it's lofty target.

They wouldn't. Either 550 or 500 sales would be the same. We aren't in the end of the console lifecycle where consumers are much more sensitive to price. By all accounts, 550 is a fair price 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

There is no way they will ship 30m next FY, nor will they even ship 18m this FY. This kind of shows where the Sony executives are at right now: overconfident to the point of being out of touch with reality. This is the same position Nintendo was in when they were launching the Wii U. Success in one generation does not mean similar success in the next.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/wii-u-was-expected-to-sell-100-million-units#:~:text=Nintendo%20president%20Tatsumi%20Kimishima%20commented,Wii%20U%20would%20follow%20suit.

What? 

There's a huge difference here. The PS5 is a launched console that is struggling to stay in stock 2 years after launch.

I doubt they'll make 30 million, but that comparison doesn't make any sense.

Otter said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Eh, Hogwarts Legacy looks very meh to me. If it ends up being a good game I could see it providing a good boost in hardware for the PS5, with all of that said, Hogwarts Legacy releases in February 2023, so whatever hardware boost it provides wouldn't be included in the 2023 fiscal year anyway, which runs from April 2023 to March 2024 (as noted by the OP)

The most successful games give permanent/longterm boosts to hardware and their is a cumulative effect as more system sellers arrive on the platform. See Nintendo Switch sales which are the result of a collection of wide appealing games (Mario Kart/Animal Crossing etc).

Essentially I expect Hogwarts to be topping the charts in many different points throughout the year and driving hardware beyond its launch month. Infact because I see it as more of a casual appealing title, I don't expect its launch numbers to be insane, more its legs.

Alright, well I'll just disagree with that point then (bolded). As I said before and for lack of better terminology, Hogwarts Legacy looks very meh. 

the-pi-guy said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

What? 

There's a huge difference here. The PS5 is a launched console that is struggling to stay in stock 2 years after launch.

Anyone who thinks the PS5 can ship 30m in one FY is severely deluding themselves.  It is a level of delusion like thinking the Wii U could ship over 100m lifetime.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
the-pi-guy said:

What? 

Anyone who thinks the PS5 can ship 30m in one FY is severely deluding themselves.  It is a level of delusion like thinking the Wii U could ship over 100m lifetime.

Those two things are still worlds apart. It's like 12% vs 80%. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
the-pi-guy said:

What? 

Bruh... you're the guy who thinks PS5 already peaked and insists PS5 and Xbox combined won't pass 56 million by the end of 2023 (which they will by the end of this year lol). You are in no position to speak about delusions. 30 million next year, improbable as it is, is much more likely than half of your PS5 predictions. And lol at any comparison between PS5 and Wii U. One might be the console with the highest demand in history despite the high pricetag and the other is Nintendo's worst selling console of all time.