By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Sony to Ship 30 Million PS5 Consoles Next Fiscal Year

darthv72 said:

What were the September 2021 numbers compared to September 2022? I'm curious how they figure a 400% increase shipped YoY while unit sales are down 16% YoY.

VGC estimates for PS5 worldwide:

Sep 2022: 1,218,722

Sep 2021: 1,039,383

The 400% increase is for the weight in shipment to the US and includes more than just PS5 consoles. Though, it would take a lot of physical copies of a game to equal one PS5. I would think some of the extra consoles are being held back for God of War Ragnarök and the holidays to help build up supply. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Hmm, PS5 does have some big launches that can help Sony achieve this FFXVI and Spiderman 2 namely. Add on that increase in production/supply, it doesn't seem THAT unbelievable imo. Actually, I think FFVII Rebirth is supposed to release in that fiscal year as well so another potential hardware mover there.

Edit: I'll personally say PS5 will do 22-25 million, even given some potentially mega releases 30 million just seems insane to me. That said, I hope they can do it, would be quite a crazy year.

NobleTeam360 said:

Hmm, PS5 does have some big launches that can help Sony achieve this FFXVI and Spiderman 2 namely. Add on that increase in production/supply, it doesn't seem THAT unbelievable imo. Actually, I think FFVII Rebirth is supposed to release in that fiscal year as well so another potential hardware mover there.

Edit: I'll personally say PS5 will do 22-25 million, even given some potentially mega releases 30 million just seems insane to me. That said, I hope they can do it, would be quite a crazy year.

Also launch year for the PSVR 2.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Also launch year for the PSVR 2.

Ah right, that completely slipped my mind. That will definitely move consoles as well. 

trunkswd said:

The 400% increase is for the weight in shipment to the US and includes more than just PS5 consoles.

so that 400% is the totality of shipments? Not specifically PS5 systems but also games, accessories, etc? Well that seems a tad misleading as the way its reported "PS5 shipments", most are going to assume that means the systems.

Around the Network

It does seem possible if they have another game or 2 to add to the 2023 line up. As far as we know the only games from Sony themselves in 2023 are Spiderman 2 and last of us factions. I could see a couple of other things drop that year and add to the third party exclusives.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

darthv72 said:
trunkswd said:

The 400% increase is for the weight in shipment to the US and includes more than just PS5 consoles.

so that 400% is the totality of shipments? Not specifically PS5 systems but also games, accessories, etc? Well that seems a tad misleading as the way its reported "PS5 shipments", most are going to assume that means the systems.

The original tweet mentioned Sony Interactive imports to the US by weight. I could be reading it wrong though. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I think this number is to high compared with not only currenty/past FY of PS5 but also almost any console, so I will take it with a huge mountain of salt (even more when all we hear say the shortages won't be solved in 2023).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:
darthv72 said:

The original tweet mentioned Sony Interactive imports to the US by weight. I could be reading it wrong though. 

Ahh weight. that makes sense if they are shipping more accessories and games to the US in addition to systems.

darthv72 said:
trunkswd said:

Ahh weight. that makes sense if they are shipping more accessories and games to the US in addition to systems.

Data is showing there has been more PS5 stock in September. But 400% would have been nuts and the data we have isn't showing that much if an improvement. I would assume an increase in PS5 stock also means more accessories and games as you stated.