By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be ok with Switch games costing $70-90 if...

No, I almost never buy games at 60 euros, let alone at higher prices. I have no problem waiting a while for the prices to drop to get a game, or in the case of Nintendo's own titles that almost never drop in price, just buying them very, very rarely.

Around the Network

Gonna be a no from me... $70 is already too much for any game imo let alone $80 or $90. Unless they are willing to give us a discount for digital buyers but I doubt they will...

Personally outside of a few key games, I won't bother buying majority of the $70 priced games until they go on deep discounts as in Canada, $70 USD = $90sh CAD.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This would be agreeable.

Sure. I don't like incomplete games.

Eh.....no thanks.

Around the Network

Not a chance.

Jumpin said:

I’m a download only guy, and have been for about a decade on consoles, and even longer on PC and mobile. To me, the substance of a video game is the data containing the experience and its assets, not the medium.

BUT

For people who want a plug and play-like experience, I think it’s an enormous amount of bullshit that a company makes you download a bunch of stuff to be able to play the game you bought on a plug and play device, a game card, cartridge, or disk. So, I can see the issue that physical object collectors see with this.

On the other hand, most publishers these days see physical storefronts as a means of distribution and advertisement. In other words, they don’t care if they’re selling you a voucher code on paper - as long as they get eyes on their product and people who want to impulse or gift buy. So, aI can understand how people who are collectors will feel screwed by the current paradigm.

O what will likely happen is the market will move primarily to download only, and the collectable side will remain, with the physical storefront for download vouchers and such will disappear over time. That’s my working prediction at least.

i'd happily move all to digital if they made backing up data easy to a server or external drive. Good old drag and drop no special tools and recovery modes etc. Make it easy as possible.

I haven't paid more than 20 € for a game in ages.

So, no.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Not likely. I remember back in the N64 days, Nintendo games actually cost about 80-90$ here. I also remember how they lost the Final Fantasy series due to the small storage capacity of the cartridges. Hiking up prices due to their own choice of an odd-ish format (again, this is kind of their thing) and putting the spillover cost on consumers would be one of those typical anti-consumer behaviors that I'm against on principle, no matter what company engages in it. They also chose a very small internal storage unit for the Switch, which means that we need to purchase extra storage space ourselves almost out of the box. This is already bordering on unacceptable for me.

SvennoJ said:

Yes, if that means the whole game on preferably faster storage (UHS-2 or better) with save games and patches saved on the cartridge itself, more than worth $90 to me.

Bigger cartridges would be nice as well. Compact flash was a nice size to handle, although you had to be careful with the pins in shallow connectors. But with 50 pins vs 9 connections on a SD card, imagine what kinda speeds you could get with a modern compact flash interface nowadays.

If games went up to $70-90 MSRP but it meant that every physical copy now contains the entire game and non-volatile memory that has space for save files and patches, thereby eliminating the need for the consumer to need an extra memory source and possibly have to constantly swap between SD cards, then I might be OK with it.

But only if the games still stayed at $60 MSRP in the digital storefront. Digital buyers shouldn't be punished, especially since they're the ones doing exactly what the publisher wants.