By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be ok with Switch games costing $70-90 if...

Hiku said:

If they had bigger cartridge sizes so that they can fit the entire game? Instead of how you have to download part of it as DLC as it is in some cases nowadays.

Because it was like that back in the N64 and SNES days.
Chrono Trigger launched for $80 because of the more expensive cartridge..

You have to download part of games as DLC? I don't have a Switch so thats a little surprising to me.

Around the Network

No!

I think current game prices are already too high. Plus, I'm digital only on Switch so more expensive games so they can fit the whole thing on the cart wouldn't benefit me at all, and let's be honest, there's no way they'd put up the physical price without raising the digital one too, so I'd get screwed with a higher price and gain literally nothing.

No, not for a dumb reason like that.

Mystro-Sama said:
Hiku said:

If they had bigger cartridge sizes so that they can fit the entire game? Instead of how you have to download part of it as DLC as it is in some cases nowadays.

You have to download part of games as DLC? I don't have a Switch so thats a little surprising to me.

Well it has happened for collection type games.
For example. Magaman X 1-4 would be on the cartridge, and for the rest you get a code to download them. (Something like that)

Which reminds me, has any singular Switch game been split up like that?

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 October 2022

Mystro-Sama said:
Hiku said:

No, that's not how this works. Some games are not fully on the cartridge and that part just gets downloaded like a normal update automatically. Mostly these are just post launch updates anyway. Almost all games are completely on cartridge at launch.

Around the Network

I have 50 Switch games and didn't realize this was even a thing that happened. Though I mostly own digital, I'm pretty sure none of the games I own require this sort of thing. I have maybe heard about happening with like a couple games like an NBA game or something that is 32GB. Must be a very small amount of third party games or collection packs that do this. Pretty sure this is just an issue with Xbox/Playstation where they have like 100GB games and after you buy the game you have to sit around for a couple hours downloading the rest of the game. Never heard of this being an issue with Switch games in general so I was surprised to see this thread.

Anyway, if it ever did become an issue with games on Nintendo, NO I would definitely not pay extra. I have zero interest in paying more than $60. I pretty much only pay $60 for a game when it's a Nintendo first party game that I really want since I know I'd probably have to wait years to see it on sale. There are definitely several first party and third party games that I wanted but haven't bought because they are stubbornly stuck at $60 and I'm waiting to see them at $30-$40, or its been so long I've moved on in my interest. Otherwise I generally wait for 50%+ sales on third party games and pick them up for like $4 - $20.

On the rare occasion that I do buy physical I usually go to Walmart because they seem to often sell Switch games for $50 instead of $60. Definitely would not pay $70 let alone $90 for a game lol. I don't see this being an issue on Nintendo systems (unlike other systems) because cartridges are getting larger and cheaper and they are much cheaper than they were back in SNES/N64 days so that's why we don't deal with that on Switch like we had to back in the 90s.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 10 October 2022

Did any specific new game cause this thread? As an example, is Persona 5 Royal a partial download? Because otherwise this thread is coming out of nowhere.

Aside from that, I would have hoped that 5.5 years after Switch's launch everyone understands that cards and cartridges are not the same thing. A bunch of AAA third party publishers sure did try to make people believe that cards are an expensive storage medium like carts, but that was just some greedy bullshit on their part. As such, the answer to this thread is as simple as complete games cost $60 and that's the end of it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

If the games would be packed with feelies like they did on PC in the 80's and 90's I'd be okay with the price hike. But right now, you get those called a "collector's edition" and often slapped $100+ prices on them, so...

Hiku said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Well it has happened for collection type games.
For example. Magaman X 1-4 would be on the cartridge, and for the rest you get a code to download them. (Something like that)

Even with collections this isn't actually a thing. The first 4 Megaman X games and 5-8 are two different collections sold separately on the eshop. Same goes for the other Megaman collections.

Maybe the Switch's successor, assuming it will also use cartridges, will use higher capacity cartridges.