By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 30th June 2022) Switch at 111.08m shipped

Digital doing majority sales is interesting
Kirby doing phenomenal as it should
What will be MK8D's final LTD? 60-65 milli??

Around the Network

Really good quarter considering how old the Switch is. Both Sony and Nintendo had a notable YoY increase in digital which seems noteworthy.

So Switch crushed every Q1 prior to 2020 with ease.
Their forecast remains at 21m, and with the lineup they've got for the rest of the year and supply expected to improve in the coming months, there's a decent chance they'll hit it.

Also, so much for the Wii Sports series being just a fad, it's still selling great more than 15 years later.
Awesome performance by Kirby as well, Forgotten Land will soon take its well deserved spot as the highest selling game in the series.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 August 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Dang Kirby killin it. Ring Fit top 10 and looking to take 8th place soon! Switch Sports sold decent, I guess good considering the lackluster effort Nintendo has put into all their sports games on Switch. Switch Sports probably won't be the 20 million seller it could have been but almost five million in just over two months suggests it should at least sail past 10 million.

Hardware sales slowing but still crushing every year except 2020 and 2021.

Honest question: How does Super Mario Party keep selling if apparently nobody likes it? I mean I liked it, but the general consensus seems to be that it's bad or at least not as good as other games.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Honest question: How does Super Mario Party keep selling if apparently nobody likes it? I mean I liked it, but the general consensus seems to be that it's bad or at least not as good as other games.

Depends on what you compare it to. Some considered it a return to form for the series upon release and I think most agree that it's at least a step up from 9 and 10, which would make it the best Mario Party in a decade at the time. But yea opinions were definitely still mixed, and while it's still selling pretty impressively for a 4 year old game, you can also clearly tell that sales have started to slow down in the last 2 quarters after Superstars.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

• Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

Runa216 said:

The is often a difference between the opinion of the loud minority online and the actual perception from the wider market outside that minority. 

Damn animal crossing nearly 40 million which is impressive!

I’ve been reading some stock market analysts talk about the Switch, they’re raising fucking alarm bells about the sales slump of the Switch, saying all kinds of nonsense like chip shortages and Corona Virus bumps… not one of them mentioning how old the Switch is at this point. I mean, the thing’s nearing grandfather age at this point. I’m not sure if Nintendo messaged them and confused these silly bastards, or if these stock analyst chuckleheads are still somehow clueless when it comes to tech-cycles… You know? something we’ve seen on every console released since the Gameboy. And even that was a bit of a fucking anomaly given the Pokémon phenomenon.

It hurts my head thinking about how fucking inept the stock analyst industry must be to allow this sort of trash to get through the filters.

(Note, I’m not angry, I just like to use the word fuck a lot… it’s a great word for emphasis. Sometimes I forget to write it… it’s or I’ll be on the front page and use some discretion because there might be people’s idiot children reading… the age-demo that wouldn’t dream of writing or reading forums. Also, I had some edibles a bit back. You know how it is.)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I’ve been reading some stock market analysts talk about the Switch, they’re raising fucking alarm bells about the sales slump of the Switch, saying all kinds of nonsense like chip shortages and Corona Virus bumps… not one of them mentioning how old the Switch is at this point. I mean, the thing’s nearing grandfather age at this point. I’m not sure if Nintendo messaged them and confused these silly bastards, or if these stock analyst chuckleheads are still somehow clueless when it comes to tech-cycles… You know? something we’ve seen on every console released since the Gameboy. And even that was a bit of a fucking anomaly given the Pokémon phenomenon.

It hurts my head thinking about how fucking inept the stock analyst industry must be to allow this sort of trash to get through the filters.

(Note, I’m not angry, I just like to use the word fuck a lot… it’s a great word for emphasis. Sometimes I forget to write it… it’s or I’ll be on the front page and use some discretion because there might be people’s idiot children reading… the age-demo that wouldn’t dream of writing or reading forums. Also, I had some edibles a bit back. You know how it is.)

It's not a surprise if you've worked in finance especially in a sector that dealt with investments, I can tell you first hand most are clueless and it's well known in finance that around 95% of people lose money on trades because of it, what you read may even be an analyst banking on that in order to cause the market to lower the price before their clients can jump on before it returns to normal.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 04 August 2022