By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2022 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

IcaroRibeiro said:

I agree PS5 will keep flopping in Japan

Will get all the games regardless. There is no reason to not port their games to PS5. Bigger userbase = More sales. With Switch being the lower factor in mind upgrading it to every other platform is going to be easy

And the big-budget games will still get released on PS5 because PS5 is smashing outside Japan, so Capcom and Square have nothing to lose by making their AAA games to skip Switch and focus on Playstation/Xbox/PC crowd, for Switch they will release smaller budget games until Nintendo decides to release a more powerful console

This will prevent PS5 from complete irrelevance, there will always be a small market for Playstation (5-6 million at least)

My only concern regarding the Switch successor is that even if it has all the features core fans want out of it (i.e., more power, better online, etc.), I don’t see how third party companies will all of a sudden bring those AAA games to the successor. Like will we see FFXVI or FFVIIRebirth on a Switch successor that can run those titles? I doubt it personally. Same with Street Fighter VI or Resident Evil 9 or 4 Remake.

Even with all the good will Switch has and the hardware and software sales being extraordinary, I have some doubt that third party companies will invest in AAA games on the Switch successor, that has all the hardware features we hope for, on the regular.

I have some doubt because the Switch doesn’t even have games King of Fighters XV or Soul Calibur VI (games I think can run on Switch), but then somehow has Persona 5 Royal and Nier Automata coming soon (games people believe were gonna run like crap on Switch).

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Will get all the games regardless. There is no reason to not port their games to PS5. Bigger userbase = More sales. With Switch being the lower factor in mind upgrading it to every other platform is going to be easy

And the big-budget games will still get released on PS5 because PS5 is smashing outside Japan, so Capcom and Square have nothing to lose by making their AAA games to skip Switch and focus on Playstation/Xbox/PC crowd, for Switch they will release smaller budget games until Nintendo decides to release a more powerful console

This will prevent PS5 from complete irrelevance, there will always be a small market for Playstation (5-6 million at least)

My only concern regarding the Switch successor is that even if it has all the features core fans want out of it (i.e., more power, better online, etc.), I don’t see how third party companies will all of a sudden bring those AAA games to the successor. Like will we see FFXVI or FFVIIRebirth on a Switch successor that can run those titles? I doubt it personally. Same with Street Fighter VI or Resident Evil 9 or 4 Remake.

Even with all the good will Switch has and the hardware and software sales being extraordinary, I have some doubt that third party companies will invest in AAA games on the Switch successor, that has all the hardware features we hope for, on the regular.

I have some doubt because the Switch doesn’t even have games King of Fighters XV or Soul Calibur VI (games I think can run on Switch), but then somehow has Persona 5 Royal and Nier Automata coming soon (games people believe were gonna run like crap on Switch).

people thought P5R was going to run crap on switch when its basically a DLC version of base P5? really? when P5 ran on and was made for the PS3?

Kai_Mao said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The Switch itself already debunks this argument as the library is full of games that many claimed would not be on it years ago even if it did find success, this is because the momentum is too high for developers to ignore and development costs are constantly increasing.

It will be easier to port to the Switch successor than it is to the Switch, FF is a poor example as its not even on the Xbox signalling a possible deal being in place. SFVI, RE however are likely going to find their way on the platform all the Remakes will be on the platform for sure.

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You are asking the wrong question.  The right question is "what will people looking for a home console buy"?  In the previous generation the options were PS4 or Wii U.  Given those options about 9-10m bought a PS4.  Today the options are PS5 or Switch.  Those same 9-10m people are not going to show up for the PS5.  A good chunk of them are going to just have a Switch only and be done.

People didn't skip the Switch just because they apready had a PS4. The narrative that people only buy one console doesn't exist in other markets, not sure why it will exist in Japan when the Switch still fundamentally lacks the majority of PlayStation software. Famitsu's most demanded game is a PS5 exclusive. Everywhere else we see the Switch sell alongside PS5/Series X. Especially with the 4 year gap between them, it doesn't have to be either or... People who bought a switch 4 years ago, can be partial to buying a PS5 today.

We also have to acknowledge that the Switch is appealing to an expanded audience too. I dare say the majority of the audience were never going to buy a playstation in the first place.

No one disagrees with the notion that Switch will eat into playstations audience, the point is that

1. Playstation will still have major support from 3rd parties that the Switch will not.

2. This will secure playstation 5 a decent future which will realise itself once stocks allow. 

Honestly more meaningful then the back and forth would be for people to just give their predictions for Playststion 5 hardware. I say 8-10m, what do you say?

7mil

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You are asking the wrong question.  The right question is "what will people looking for a home console buy"?  In the previous generation the options were PS4 or Wii U.  Given those options about 9-10m bought a PS4.  Today the options are PS5 or Switch.  Those same 9-10m people are not going to show up for the PS5.  A good chunk of them are going to just have a Switch only and be done.

People didn't skip the Switch just because they apready had a PS4. The narrative that people only buy one console doesn't exist in other markets, not sure why it will exist in Japan when the Switch still fundamentally lacks the majority of PlayStation software. Famitsu's most demanded game is a PS5 exclusive. Everywhere else we see the Switch sell alongside PS5/Series X. Especially with the 4 year gap between them, it doesn't have to be either or... People who bought a switch 4 years ago, can be partial to buying a PS5 today.

We also have to acknowledge that the Switch is appealing to an expanded audience too. I dare say the majority of the audience were never going to buy a playstation in the first place.

No one disagrees with the notion that Switch will eat into playstations audience, the point is that

1. Playstation will still have major support from 3rd parties that the Switch will not.

2. This will secure playstation 5 a decent future which will realise itself once stocks allow. 

Honestly more meaningful then the back and forth would be for people to just give their predictions for Playststion 5 hardware. I say 8-10m, what do you say?

VGChartz has Japan + RoW totals for PS4 at around 33m.  I think this total for PS5 will be under 17m.  I don't know the exact split between Japan and RoW, because of scalping, but I do know that PS5 sales in Japan translate to lost PS5 sales in RoW.  I think 50% of PS4 sales in Japan + RoW is the best the PS5 can do.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

VGChartz has Japan + RoW totals for PS4 at around 33m.  I think this total for PS5 will be under 17m.  I don't know the exact split between Japan and RoW, because of scalping, but I do know that PS5 sales in Japan translate to lost PS5 sales in RoW.  I think 50% of PS4 sales in Japan + RoW is the best the PS5 can do.

I don't have a figure for ROW but I do expect the growth in China to partially offset declines in other markets. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

It's already at about 5m in those combined and should be over 7m by the end of this year so I don't see how it could fail to do another 10m in the next few years after doing 7m in just two.

TheBraveGallade said:
Kai_Mao said:

people thought P5R was going to run crap on switch when its basically a DLC version of base P5? really? when P5 ran on and was made for the PS3?

Funny enough, there were a minority of people who thought that because P5R did enhance the graphics and such. I didn’t agree with that but it was a reason for the few since it’s been three years since Royal came out. Maybe SMT V performing the way it did on Switch sorta added fuel to that fire even though both games were on different engines I believe.. Plus they missed out on the opportunity to take advantage of the hype of Joker being in Smash Bros., whether you believe that would’ve made a difference or not to get P5 on Switch.

Wyrdness said:
Kai_Mao said:

The Switch itself already debunks this argument as the library is full of games that many claimed would not be on it years ago even if it did find success, this is because the momentum is too high for developers to ignore and development costs are constantly increasing.

It will be easier to port to the Switch successor than it is to the Switch, FF is a poor example as its not even on the Xbox signalling a possible deal being in place. SFVI, RE however are likely going to find their way on the platform all the Remakes will be on the platform for sure.

I’m not holding my breath for SFVI considering how important the tournament circuit is for the series and how Capcom developed SFV (though I’m not sure if Sony paid for full console exclusivity so it wouldn’t ever come to Xbox). Plus Capcom didn’t even care to port SFIV on Switch, even though it got a late port on PS4.

Even games like Soul Hackers 2 is not coming to Switch (at this time). As I mentioned before, the SMT V performance on Switch (in terms of how it ran, not it’s sales) might’ve made some nervous about Soul Hackers 2 on Switch.

Again, I point out certain games that could’ve/should’ve made it to Switch but didn’t for one reason or another. I even doubt the next Tekken or Tales of game will come to the Switch successor when they get announced eventually. The mix results of incredible ports and missed opportunities sorta cloud my perception on how third parties will proceed with a more powerful Switch successor.

Norion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It's already at about 5m in those combined and should be over 7m by the end of this year so I don't see how it could fail to do another 10m in the next few years after doing 7m in just two.

2 years of being highly supply constrained too