By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year (So Far)

I think I posted a while back saying nothing until Bayonetta 3 dropped, however, I finally got my hands on Ghostwire Tokyo, and that is my GOTY 2022....until Bayonetta 3 drops lmao. But, it's nice to finally play a game in 2022 that I like. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

I've played nothing that has been released this year (outside of a few hours of Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes). So I don't have a GOTY as of yet, but once July 29th arrives, oh it will be a glorious day and definitely my GOTY

Just to update (after having finished Xeno 3 several days ago) it is indeed my GOTY for the year and nothing else I play will surprass it. 

Chrkeller said:
Paatar said:

So people can’t be critical of games now unless you ‘suck at parties’? 

The story and the characters aren’t good— characters do not grow at all, the story is extremely basic and the characters exacerbate the poor, redundant and repetitive/filler writing. 

The issue is more based on wording your opinion as though it is fact.  

From a critical point of view, it’s a fact. Characters that don’t grow and repeat the same mistakes and say the same shit are stale and not good, this goes for any game or book character. The story does nothing of noteworthy, it’s mediocre at best because it falls on too many cliches. cliches are not a bad thing by themselves, but accompanied with others it becomes bad. 

The writing is filled with repeated phrases, pointing out the obvious, asking redundant questions just to fill for more dialogue. Those are not good qualities to have in a story driven game, and they are there. There’s no disputing that. 

Those qualities don’t have to bother you, like I said, enjoy what you enjoy, but you can’t make an argument against those things because they all exist in the game. A good example is when Rinwell flips shit over Dohalim asking if he can make a pillow out of Hootle’s molten feathers. There is nothing wrong with that, he wants to collect the feathers over time as he molts and make a pillow, great! Maybe he’ll make several for everyone if he can because they’re all on the road and having a nice pillow would help. All the characters take Rinwell’s side because… she’s upset? And then they all attack Dohalim and school him about how that’s not okay and he needs to be more conscious about what he says. Like what? At least make those reactions happen because of something that would actually cause a reaction like that. And at this point of the game, the characters have been together for quite some time so the interaction shouldn’t have gone like that. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

axumblade said:

We are now past the halfway point of the year! So far, what has been your favorite game? 

Mine has been Kirby and the Forgotten Land as far as games this year. Admittedly, I haven’t played many games from this year but so far it’s been up there for me. 

Does it have to be a game released this year, or can it be a game you first played in 2022? Elden Ring is my favorite from this year but I played the original Deus Ex and it's easily top three all-time for me. Also the Kirby game looked really good, I should give it a go!

PSN: SaltyCactus64

Newfound love for Deus Ex!

While Tales of Arise wasn't my favorite game from this year, I wouldn't say it was bad. After all I did go through the trouble of getting the platinum. But yeah some characters were quite annoying like Rimwell, and her smile still haunts me to this day.

Still, there were many good points about the game. For example progression felt quite balanced, it never felt ridiculously hard or easy.

Around the Network
Paatar said:
Chrkeller said:

The issue is more based on wording your opinion as though it is fact.  

From a critical point of view, it’s a fact. Characters that don’t grow and repeat the same mistakes and say the same shit are stale and not good, this goes for any game or book character. The story does nothing of noteworthy, it’s mediocre at best because it falls on too many cliches. cliches are not a bad thing by themselves, but accompanied with others it becomes bad. 

The writing is filled with repeated phrases, pointing out the obvious, asking redundant questions just to fill for more dialogue. Those are not good qualities to have in a story driven game, and they are there. There’s no disputing that. 

Those qualities don’t have to bother you, like I said, enjoy what you enjoy, but you can’t make an argument against those things because they all exist in the game. A good example is when Rinwell flips shit over Dohalim asking if he can make a pillow out of Hootle’s molten feathers. There is nothing wrong with that, he wants to collect the feathers over time as he molts and make a pillow, great! Maybe he’ll make several for everyone if he can because they’re all on the road and having a nice pillow would help. All the characters take Rinwell’s side because… she’s upset? And then they all attack Dohalim and school him about how that’s not okay and he needs to be more conscious about what he says. Like what? At least make those reactions happen because of something that would actually cause a reaction like that. And at this point of the game, the characters have been together for quite some time so the interaction shouldn’t have gone like that. 

No, it isn't.  And I'm not discussing with a person with literally can't tell an opinion from a fact

Now I'm playing "Immortality", and I gotta say it's also a strong candidate to some awards.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Now I'm playing "Immortality", and I gotta say it's also a strong candidate to some awards.

Since it's an FMV game, it'll likely fly under most people's radar, but like you, I doubt critics will forget it, and some awards could yield it the visibility it needs.

I've been playing it lately too and wow! Gotta say this is the best FMV game I've ever played before, much of which is owed to the sheer believability of the movies, by which I mean that it's incredibly easy to believe that these could've been real films and real other footage! There's a very strong critique here that I just don't think could possibly be replicated as effectively in any other format. Parts of it to me are genuinely scarier than anything in horror games. This one's definitely a personal fave of mine for this year, alongside Perfect Tides and Norco. Those are sorta my top three favorites this year so far.

This is the year of the point-and-click masterpiece, I swear!

Jaicee said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Since it's an FMV game, it'll likely fly under most people's radar, but like you, I doubt critics will forget it, and some awards could yield it the visibility it needs.

I've been playing it lately too and wow! Gotta say this is the best FMV game I've ever played before, much of which is owed to the sheer believability of the movies, by which I mean that it's incredibly easy to believe that these could've been real films and real other footage! There's a very strong critique here that I just don't think could possibly be replicated as effectively in any other format. Parts of it to me are genuinely scarier than anything in horror games. This one's definitely a personal fave of mine for this year, alongside Perfect Tides and Norco. Those are sorta my top three favorites this year so far.

This is the year of the point-and-click masterpiece, I swear!

It is a very well made game, and it's getting some really high (and deserved) scores among the reviews.

Are you playing on Xbox or PC? I'm playing it on PC.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

It is a very well made game, and it's getting some really high (and deserved) scores among the reviews.

Are you playing on Xbox or PC? I'm playing it on PC.

Series X. I don't trust my home computer that much. Only with lower tech titles.