By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

BOTW'S total with WiiU is now 28.1m it'll be 30m around September, I'm also quite surprised at how well Game Builder has done.

Around the Network

On another note if they meet their target for the FY that puts them at 128m.

Yeah I confess I breathe easier knowing they're still planning to push another 21 million Switches this FY, makes it much less likely Switch will be prematurely replaced.

It would be such a shame to see it cut short of its potential after burning so brightly thus far.

Lots to digest here. I'm coming back later. Nintendo is going to split their stock 10-to-1 though. Wow.

Switch sold more hardware than Wii U software =p

Around the Network

Okay great, now I want to buy an OLED model

21M prediction is better than I thought. They are confident that the decline will slow down.
Seems clear that sucessor will launch only 2024 or later. I leaning 2025.

Can someone recall the console that best sold in the year its sucessor launched? And the numbers?

RolStoppable said:
Farsala said:

Yeah I am surprised by Nintendo's high expectations for the NSW going into its 6th fiscal year. However we have to keep in mind Nintendo's 1st fiscal year was about 1 month long compared to most consoles having 5 months.

This next fiscal year will be quite interesting, because I am curious about which markets will do the heavy lifting.

javi is using the PS4's fifth full fiscal year against Switch's sixth full fiscal year, so there's no benefit given to Switch for its one-month fiscal year zero (let's call it that way for simplicity) vs. the PS4's five-month fiscal year zero. So in the comparison that is being used here, it's Switch which is the older console. For the DS he used the sixth full fiscal year, so in that comparison the DS is the older console.

So when it comes to full fiscal years, the DS is in first in year 6 with ~18m units shipped, followed by the PS2 with ~16m in production shipments (Sony's reporting method differed as most regulars in sales discussions are probably aware of). The PS4 accomplished ~13.5m, by the way.

As for Switch's regional distribution of units in the recently started fiscal year, it's unlikely that any region specificially will stick out as doing the heavy lifting. All four major categories (Japan, Americas, Europe, Other) will continue to see steady sales, because there's nothing indicating otherwise. Japan may be the closest to the saturation point, but we aren't quite there yet; Switch's sales aren't eroding like they did for the 3DS which was far off from its peak when it entered year 6.

He specifically said 6th fiscal year, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

Well the decline isn't so steady. The reason I find Nintendo's forecast to be so surprising is due to this type of decline for the whole FY.

Japan: -22%

Americas: -22%

Europe: -16%

Others: -22%

Nintendo expects overall -9% for the next FY.  Somehow Nintendo has to stabilize the decline. A -9% decline in all regions would look like this.

Japan: 4.7m

Americas: 8.0m

Europe: 5.5m

Others: 2.8m

Keep in mind Nintendo has not started Calendar year 2022 with only a -9% decline.

Japan: -25%

Americas: -9%

Europe: -29%

Others: +18%

Still, I have to assume Nintendo knows a lot more about it than me.

jonathanalis said:

21M prediction is better than I thought. They are confident that the decline will slow down.
Seems clear that sucessor will launch only 2024 or later. I leaning 2025.

Can someone recall the console that best sold in the year its sucessor launched? And the numbers?

It's probably the PlayStaiton 2. Shipped almost exactly 14 mil in 2006.

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html">https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161654/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Nintendo Switch has now a slightly better software attach rate (7.638) than the Wii-u (7.631). Goin by Nintendos own sales data their internal ranking would put switch at 5th place. 

1 GC: 9.59
2 Wii: 9.07
3 NES: 8.08
4 SNES: 7.72
5 NSW: 7.64
6 Wii-U: 7.63
7 N64: 6.83
8 DS: 6.16
9 3DS: 5.12
10 GBA: 4.63
11 GB: 4.22

Not that surprising to see all the dedicated handhelds in the bottom but I wonder if having multiple systems at home with family members sharing games factors into switch attach ratio, given its hybrid nature.

/edit added N64

Last edited by Apkopf - on 10 May 2022