By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

Hardware sales is about what you'd expect. Sofware sales is quite impressive, but considering they had Arceus this quarter, that's of course where a good portion it comes from. Interesting that they're predicting to ship 21m next fiscal year, a drop of only ~2m. Wonder if they have anything planned to keep demand that high as well, because I'm sure it would be no problem with a price-cut, but I don't see them doing that with everything becoming more expensive these days.

Kirby seems to be off to a good start, though I kinda wish they had revealed sell-through for a bit more than 2 weeks, since that's already crossing into the next quarter anyways. It's still sticking around on a lot of software charts, so there's a good chance sell-through has reached those 2.65m shipped by now.

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

• Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

Around the Network

New Super Mario Bros U increased by 10k
Nintendo Land also +10k.

Marth said:

Nintendo Land also +10k.

For 3DS Mario Kart 7 increased by 20k, Pokémon X/Y, Pokémon OR/AS and Animal Crossing NL by 40k each (more than WarioWare Get It Together! that only shipped 30k) and Pokémon Sun/Moon, Super Mario 3D Land, NSMB2 and Tomodachi Life by 10k. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon increased by 50k.

Kakadu18 said:
Marth said:

Nintendo Land also +10k.

For 3DS Mario Kart 7 increased by 20k, Pokémon X/Y, Pokémon OR/AS and Animal Crossing NL by 40k each (more than WarioWare Get It Together! that only shipped 30k) and Pokémon Sun/Moon, Super Mario 3D Land, NSMB2 and Tomodachi Life by 10k. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon increased by 50k.

Thanks, I am currently working on that. Putting stuff in the database takes a bit of time.

BOTW'S total with WiiU is now 28.1m it'll be 30m around September, I'm also quite surprised at how well Game Builder has done.

Around the Network

On another note if they meet their target for the FY that puts them at 128m.

Updated my spreadsheet with the latest figures. Added a new line for figures published in the CESA White Paper.

Hardware is down by 5.76m compared to last year, but it's interesting how that decline is distributed in the hardware family. The original Switch is down by 6.75m, but it's self-evident that the OLED model has replaces a significant portion of its demand; the OLED model accounted for 5.80m, so the hybrid Switch is actually down by only 0.95m. It's Switch Lite which is responsible for most of the year over year decline with a drop of 4.81m.

Looking at the regional breakdown of shipments for the most recent quarter, it's noteworthy that Europe has been in last place, so even behind Other by 0.10m. However, this is not concerning because the sell-through numbers have been good for Europe; it's just the case that Europe had to work through a comparably too big holiday shipment which almost rivaled the Americas despite accounting for only about two thirds of the size before then.

A hardware forecast of 21m signals strong confidence in the longevity of the Switch platform and should put the final nail in the coffin for all expectations that assumed a Switch successor to launch during this fiscal year that ends March 2023.

Switch software hit a new peak despite significantly lower hardware shipments than the year before. Nintendo software on its own hit a new high too, although in both instances the growth is limited to only about 2%. Still, it constitutes as enough evidence that it's not time to move on from Switch for Nintendo yet, because there's no question about the health of this software ecosystem. Nintendo's forecast of 210m for the recently started fiscal year is also the highest initial forecast they've ever made, at least to my recollection. At 822.19m LTD, total Switch software is poised to reach the 1 billion milestone within the next ten months.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Yeah I confess I breathe easier knowing they're still planning to push another 21 million Switches this FY, makes it much less likely Switch will be prematurely replaced.

It would be such a shame to see it cut short of its potential after burning so brightly thus far.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Lots to digest here. I'm coming back later. Nintendo is going to split their stock 10-to-1 though. Wow.

Switch sold more hardware than Wii U software =p