By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

Apkopf said:

Nintendo Switch has now a slightly better software attach rate (7.638) than the Wii-u (7.631). Goin by Nintendos own sales data their internal ranking would put switch at 5th place. 

1 GC: 9.59
2 Wii: 9.07
3 NES: 8.08
4 SNES: 7.72
5 NSW: 7.64
6 Wii-U: 7.63
7 DS: 6.16
8 3DS: 5.12
9 GBA: 4.63
10 GB: 4.22

Not that surprising to see all the dedicated handhelds in the bottom but I wonder if having multiple systems at home with family members sharing games factors into switch attach ratio, given its hybrid nature.

Forgot N64.

Hardware 32.93, software 224.97 according to Nintendo, for a ratio of 6.83. Won't matter for Switch's rank though as it's long past that.

Around the Network

Fourteen 10 million sellers now, with 5 more likely being added to the list by end of the year (good chance of Mario Party Superstars, Mario 3D World for sure, Pokemon gen 9 for sure, and presumably Switch Sports and Splatoon 3). In FY results a year from now BotW2 will be the 20th 10 million seller on Switch!

Metroid Dread the top selling Metroid game ever!!!! Well deserved! Hopefully it can top 4 million liftetime. Bodes very well for whenever Prime 4 hits.

No surprise about Pokemon Legends being up at 12 million. Great but expected non-holiday launch for that game. Even with Pokemon gen 9 announced just after it launched.

Super Mario Party heading for 20 million eventually, while Smash heading for 30 million this year and BotW might even hit 30 this year too!

No surprise with the 21 million hardware estimate for the next year. Lots of great games coming out in the next year, with presumably BotW2 coming out just before the FY ends. As we all know, Switch has a few years of life left in it. 128 million hardware estimate a year from now, setting up a 140+ million figure by end of 2023. Switch 2 could launch early like Spring 2024, but if it doesn't launch until Holiday 2024 or Spring 2025 then Switch should pass DS and PS2 HW numbers.

Apkopf said:

Nintendo Switch has now a slightly better software attach rate (7.638) than the Wii-u (7.631). Goin by Nintendos own sales data their internal ranking would put switch at 5th place. 

1 GC: 9.59
2 Wii: 9.07
3 NES: 8.08
4 SNES: 7.72
5 NSW: 7.64
6 Wii-U: 7.63
7 DS: 6.16
8 3DS: 5.12
9 GBA: 4.63
10 GB: 4.22

Not that surprising to see all the dedicated handhelds in the bottom but I wonder if having multiple systems at home with family members sharing games factors into switch attach ratio, given its hybrid nature.

This fiscal year had a tie ratio of 10.19 so NSW jumped from 6.94 to 7.64 over this last FY, in one year time i think it will be around 8.2.

My guess for Breath of the Wild is June, barring any ruses like Switch 2 coming in the Spring - in which case, Nintendo’s real reason for the delay was to save BotW2 for that date.
Taking Nintendo at their word, that they needed more time to work on the game, I doubt they’d announce Spring just to rush the game out at the top of the season. If they were delaying it for March, they’d have announced it for March or winter 2023.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 10 May 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

JP vs Overseas

BOTW about 2 years away from 30M outside of Japan (excluding Wii U) and holding firm on #3 spot.  It just passed 3M in JP coming off a 550K year and should definitely get past 4M at this pace.

ACNH will pass 30M Overseas this year.

MK8D will pass 40M Overseas this quarter and 6M Japan as well.

SwSh will grind its way to be the best selling Pokemon game outside of JP in a year or two unless SV cuts into the legs.

LGPE shipped >1M Overseas four years in a row.

SMO will pass 3M in JP this year and will grind its way to >25M Overseas in two years.

Jumpin said:

My guess for Breath of the Wild is June, barring any unknowns like Switch 2 launching in Spring - then it’ll be a launch title and come out on that date. But taking Nintendo at their word that they needed more time to work on the game, I doubt they’d announce Spring just to rush the game out at the top of the season. I think if they could get it out in March, they’d have announced it for March or winter 2023.

I can see June for Breath of the Wild. Especially before E3 as that would still be in the Spring release window. No chance at a Switch 2 though as Nintendo has repeatedly stated the Switch has supposedly only reached its halfway point of its lifecycle. I do see at least one more hardware revision though. So far it's been the launch Switch in 2017, the Switch Lite in 2019, and now the OLED model in 2021. So every other year there's been a hardware revision. I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more new piece of hardware in 2023 then in 2025 we get the "Switch 2" or "Switch Pro" or whatever name Nintendo comes up with. The hybrid model is too good for Nintendo to veer away from for their next-gen console. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 10 May 2022

Over 100 million annual playing users is very impressive and that's still gonna keep going up for a while so even if the Switch doesn't surpass the DS and PS2 in units sold it seems guaranteed it will in peak active users. Though I wonder just how high the peak of that was for those two.

I don't know what has blown away my expectations more:

Switch lifetime sales or Mario Kart 8 lol.