By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Sony home console?

What's your favorite Sony home console?

PlayStation 150 18.14%

PlayStation 2 321 38.81%

PlayStation 3 115 13.91%

PlayStation 4 133 16.08%

PlayStation 5 108 13.06%

Total:827

I like the original Playstation the best. It was the first non-Nintendo/Sega/NEC-made console that I really cared about and it ended up having a nice library of great games. Being able to play Street Fighter Alpha and Tekken at this quality was fantastic and once Resident Evil released I was convinced that this console was going to have many a great game, with Castlevania: SOTN being one of my very favorite games of all time. The PS1's big weakness for me was that Sony's 1st party offerings were nothing like they are with the studios they have now, but securing Final Fantasy and Metal Gear as exclusives showed Sony's dedication toward becoming a major player.

Favorite PS1 games:

1. Castlevania: SOTN
2. Street Fighter Alpha 2
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Resident Evil
5. Metal Gear Solid

Around the Network

Playstation 2! Not even a contest.

The order is:

1. PS2
2. PS1
3. PS4
4. PS3
5. PSP (Can be connected to a TV and since people are saying a handheld like Switch which can be connected to a TV counts as a home console so does PSP then!)
6. PS5
999. PSTV

PS5 has too many issues. The Dualsense is a huge step down from the Dualshock 4s ergonomics. You can't transfer PS5 saves to USB drives. No folders although having a huge library of PS4 games. No real next gen games as of now! You only have a demo of The Matrix to get a glimpse of what is possible.
PSTV is as worthless as its handheld counterpart.

Games:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Okami
3. Ico
4. Xenosaga series (except Episode 2)
5. Shadow Hearts series (except New World)
6. Fatal Frame series

GaoGaiGarV said:

PS5 has too many issues. The Dualsense is a huge step down from the Dualshock 4s ergonomics. You can't transfer PS5 saves to USB drives. No folders although having a huge library of PS4 games. No real next gen games as of now! You only have a demo of The Matrix to get a glimpse of what is possible.
PSTV is as worthless as its handheld counterpart.

Thought I was the only one in thinking this. The DS4 was the perfect controller for me, at least in terms of ergonomics and layout.

hinch said:

Surprised so many people are voting for PS5. Granted the console has been out for just 1.5 years.. and from current releases. There's hardly any big hitters, especially when compared to older PS consoles..

Counting only games made specifically for this gen yeah but I mainly prefer playing newer games and PS5 has backwards compatibility with PS4 so its been my favorite 

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

ps2 and it isn't even close. There wasn't a game the ps2 didn't have with the exception of Nintendo. The ps2 had everything.

Kakadu18 said:

Halo

Also:

Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic 
Jade Empire
Fable
Shenmue II
Ninja Gaiden: Black
Elder Scrolls III

It feels like you are missing the point.  If we listed the top 100 games in that generation, the ps2 had access to what 70%?  80%?  It was one of the most dominate generations I have ever witnessed.  Personal preference, but that fact that "Shenmue II" is being listed proves my point.  Outside a handful, and I do mean a handful, there isn't much the ps2 didn't have on their console.  

Edit
Also if I were you, I would have listed JSRF, given it was one of the better xbox exclusives.  Don't get me wrong, I owned and enjoyed my xbox, but the ps2 smashed the competition.  It wasn't an accident that it is the highest selling console of all time, while both the GC and xbox were meh in sales.

Personally I am glad both MS and Nintendo raised their game and provided Sony with better competition since those days.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 May 2022

Around the Network

Tough call, but I’m going with PS2. It was simply a beast. Between the PS2 and GameCube, I was pretty well set up for gaming.

Top 5 games:

1. FInal Fantasy 12
2. Dragon Quest VIII
3. Final Fantasy 10
4. Okami
5. GTA: Vice City

My favorite PS consoles: PS2 > PS4 > PS1 > PS3. No opinion on PS5 yet since I haven’t really been trying to find one. I’ve pretty much been sticking with Switch. 

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

ps2 and it isn't even close. There wasn't a game the ps2 didn't have with the exception of Nintendo. The ps2 had everything.

Kakadu18 said:

Halo

Also:

Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic 
Jade Empire
Fable
Shenmue II
Ninja Gaiden: Black
Elder Scrolls III

Also:

Shenmue
Chu Chu Rocket
Jet Set Radio

EDIT: Dammit, Nintendo was mentioned.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 10 May 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Voted PS1 because it had many great Namco and Eidos games, in no order!:

-Akuji The Heartless
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
-Fighting Force
-Tomb Raider
-Ninja Shadow of Darkness
-Gex 3
-Time Crisis
-Soul Edge/Blade
-Tekken Trilogy
-Ridge Racer
-Rage Racer
-Point Blank
-Klonoa
-Silent Hill
-Metal Gear Solid

Follow up PS2, but sadly i wasn't that interested in this console when i got it back in summer 2003, i was addicted to GCN and Half-Life (PS2) taught me go back to PC for modding community and relearned PC had third party PS2 games once again, anyway here few games and no order again:

-Klonoa 2
-Tekken Tag
-Tekken 5
-Devil May Cry 1
-Devil May Cry 3
-Jak & Daxter
-Ratchet & Clank
-Sly Cooper
-Silent Hill 2
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Had PS3 and PS4, but unfortunately.... At the time, i became fully PC & Nintendo guy. Sold my PS3 and PS4, but physical PS4 games are remained to play on my PS5 sometimes later, though they're only collectibles.

The PS1 absolutely lured me away from Nintendo with games like Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Oddworld, Syphon Filter, and Soul Reaver, but the PS2 is the true king in my book.

Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Smuggler's Run, ATV Off-Road Fury, Ico, Shadow of Colossus, Rayman 2, and of course the fact that it was a DVD player and a PS1 as well. What a system!

Unfortunately, the types of games that I liked on the system (kiddie, cartoony, fun) were abandoned the next generation so I've never wanted to go back to the Sony brand. I was never that into games like God of War or Grand Theft Auto or many sports games, so many of the most played game on the system were basically ignored by me.

Thankfully, Nintendo got its groove back with the Gamecube and the rest is history!

Gonna go with the PS4, because it's probably about 80% or so of my PlayStation experience. I got a PS3 in late 2021, but more for smaller games. Most major PS3 games I would want to play have PS4 ports or remasters.

I have a lot of fondness for the PS2, but my immediate family never had one. I mostly played it at my grandparent's house, or other family/friend's houses. I've played a small handful of PS1 games, but I don't think I ever played on the console itself.

I have no experience yet with the PS5 in any shape or form, so it obviously doesn't rank anywhere for me.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima