By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Sony home console?

What's your favorite Sony home console?

PlayStation 150 18.14%

PlayStation 2 321 38.81%

PlayStation 3 115 13.91%

PlayStation 4 133 16.08%

PlayStation 5 108 13.06%

Total:827
Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is a strange reasoning. As now most of games are multiplat and also released on PCs. PS4 for instance has a huge library, but not a single exclusive now because of the cross gen thing, you can get any their game elsewhere 

Exactly my point and why Nintendo ranks high for me.  I can't play their offerings anywhere else.

If Sony keeps porting to PC, yeah I might go that route and start buying PC.  The only reason I haven't is because of GPU prices.

So my opinion holds for me.  Exclusives sell hardware.  If next generation I can get MS and Sony titles on PC....  why get an Xbox and ps6, when a single PC will suffice?

Series S is selling fine without exclusives though 

I think a big library is much more important than having exclusives. PS4 have very few exclusives and sold a lot. Like... why care if the game is in another platform? If the game runs fine in a platform, that it counts to that platform regardless if it can be played elsewhere 

About the PC question, there is no reason, because PC is by default the best platform so if you can afford a nice why totally go for PC unless you dislike the hurdle of building it, but PC being the best platform doesn't lower the quality of the other consoles that shares the same games, doesn't make sense 

Edit: Your point is indeed very counter intuitive. Because you are saying to maximize que quality of a console you need the platform to be full of exclusives. Let's say every game are released on just a single platform, to maximize such platform quality. Then you need to ALWAYS buy the hardware of the original game to play it, which is like... totally nonsensical and a waste of money, it's good to have backwards compatibility and parts from older systems. Imagine Switch without all the older gen ports, or PS5 without PS4 games... totally weird to think of that. 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 12 May 2022

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

Exactly my point and why Nintendo ranks high for me.  I can't play their offerings anywhere else.

If Sony keeps porting to PC, yeah I might go that route and start buying PC.  The only reason I haven't is because of GPU prices.

So my opinion holds for me.  Exclusives sell hardware.  If next generation I can get MS and Sony titles on PC....  why get an Xbox and ps6, when a single PC will suffice?

I think a big library is much more important than having exclusives. PS4 have very few exclusives and sold a lot. Like... why care if the game is in another platform? If the game runs fine in a platform, that it counts to that platform regardless if it can be played elsewhere 

About the PC question, there is no reason, because PC is by default the best platform so if you can afford a nice why totally go for PC unless you dislike the hurdle of building it, but PC being the best platform doesn't lower the quality of the other consoles that shares the same games, doesn't make sense 

Edit: Your point is indeed very counter intuitive. Because you are saying to maximize que quality of a console you need the platform to be full of exclusives. Let's say every game are released on just a single platform, to maximize such platform quality. Then you need to ALWAYS buy the hardware of the original game to play it, which is like... totally nonsensical and a waste of money, it's good to have backwards compatibility and parts from older systems. Imagine Switch without all the older gen ports, or PS5 without PS4 games... totally weird to think of that. 

The Series S selling well is irrelevant to my personal opinion.  I view BC as a different animal.  I bought a ps4 to buy Bloodborne, the ps5 (years later) being able to play Bloodborne doesn't change much.  BC is a great addition, but I am not buying hardware to play old games.  All I can tell you is I bought a Switch for Mario Odyssey, a ps5 for Demon Remake + Ratchet.  Without exclusives I wouldn't have bought the hardware.  I plan on getting an xbox, once there is a great exclusive I want to play.  There is a reason why xbox is the only next generation console I haven't bought yet.  

If we include old libraries as part of what makes a console great, then the Wii U is one of the greatest ever.  It plays Wii U, Wii, N64, SNES and NES.  Via support on the Wii VC Channel is also plays Genesis and Turbo games.  I just don't see it that way, but too each their own.

Look at it this way.  I bought a ps5 for Ratchet/Demon....  why would I run out and buy an Xbox to play Elden when my ps5 already plays it?  

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The Series S selling well is irrelevant to my personal opinion.  I view BC as a different animal.  I bought a ps4 to buy Bloodborne, the ps5 (years later) being able to play Bloodborne doesn't change much.  BC is a great addition, but I am not buying hardware to play old games.  All I can tell you is I bought a Switch for Mario Odyssey, a ps5 for Demon Remake + Ratchet.  Without exclusives I wouldn't have bought the hardware.  I plan on getting an xbox, once there is a great exclusive I want to play.  There is a reason why xbox is the only next generation console I haven't bought yet.  

If we include old libraries as part of what makes a console great, then the Wii U is one of the greatest ever.  It plays Wii U, Wii, N64, SNES and NES.  Via support on the Wii VC Channel is also plays Genesis and Turbo games.  I just don't see it that way, but too each their own.

Look at it this way.  I bought a ps5 for Ratchet/Demon....  why would I run out and buy an Xbox to play Elden when my ps5 already plays it?  

I think I misunderstood your statement, I read it as truth about the market, not a personal opinion, my bad.

About Wii U, I think the vision of BC is a bit different than being able to emulate past consoles. I mean, there is a distinction between the carrying our games and play them in another hardware (DS to 3DS) and playing the games again as long you pay for them (Wii U for Switch). It's something you can do on PC, because the softwares are attached to your account, but it's harder on consoles because of the digital media, although now at least digital games have no reason to not be carried one generation to another unless of course it has some hardware dependencies 

That's said, if you go the favorite Nintendo consoles poll Wii U have a pretty high number of votes, mostly because people like exactly what you pointed (emulation of older consoles). It's a very nice feature that was changed for a very dreadful online service. That's said, there is so much ports from third parties from 5th to 7th gen on Switch that you can mildly agree that it kinda make ups the absence of Nintendo VC titles 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 12 May 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

I think I misunderstood your statement, I read it as truth about the market, not a personal opinion, my bad.

About Wii U, I think the vision of BC is a bit different than being able to emulate past consoles. I mean, there is a distinction between the carrying our games and play them in another hardware (DS to 3DS) and playing the games again as long you pay for them (Wii U for Switch). It's something you can do on PC, because the softwares are attaches to your account, but it's harder on consoles because of the digital media, although now at least digital games have no reason to not be carried one generation to another unless of course it has some hardware dependencies 

No worries, it was a good disussion.  And fair point about BC versus having to buy (again) old games.  I have lost count how many times I have bought the original Zelda.

The GOATStation 2.

(Forgive me if cringe)