By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Sony home console?

What's your favorite Sony home console?

PlayStation 150 18.14%

PlayStation 2 321 38.81%

PlayStation 3 115 13.91%

PlayStation 4 133 16.08%

PlayStation 5 108 13.06%

Total:827
hinch said:

Surprised so many people are voting for PS5. Granted the console has been out for just 1.5 years.. and from current releases. There's hardly any big hitters, especially when compared to older PS consoles..

what's so shocking? It's following up Sony's 2nd best selling console (the PS4) with a console that not only does everything the Ps4 does but also does it better and does more. it's early in its own life cycle, but just like the PS2, the Ps5's library can play virtually everything from the prior generation. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
hinch said:

Surprised so many people are voting for PS5. Granted the console has been out for just 1.5 years.. and from current releases. There's hardly any big hitters, especially when compared to older PS consoles..

what's so shocking? It's following up Sony's 2nd best selling console (the PS4) with a console that not only does everything the Ps4 does but also does it better and does more. it's early in its own life cycle, but just like the PS2, the Ps5's library can play virtually everything from the prior generation. 

If we look outside backwards compat.. The PS5 has mostly the same games as PS4, only for the latter there's a more titles and higher quality ones at that. Which should be the case as its been out for a lot longer. And we have yet to see big games on Sony on the PS5 (apart maybe a select few from Guerilla games, and Insomniac). Thus far we have maybe a few big releases like Spiderman: Miles Morales which is a smaller expansion type game, Returnal, R&C and Horizon Forbidden West and GT7 and bunch of remakes/remasters and up-ports from last/current gen.

And yet the PS4 isn't even on most peoples radar when they think of their best Sony console. Granted everyone has different expectations and enjoyment of said consoles.. I just don't see what the PS5 offers outside some better QoL, performance and graphics and a few select games so far. But to be fair people's experiences with next gen consoles could make it their go-to and fave one.

Not knocking it, I like the PS5 and enjoy playing on it. Its just the games aren't quite there for me yet. Ofc its understandable since the pandemic really threw a spanner in the works for Sony and the games industry but the games barely feel like they've barely moved. And since.. it feels like a PS4.5 for me so far. The one lasting game that left an impression on me was Elden Ring.. and that's a third party game that can be played basically on any current gaming platform/s; well, apart from the Switch.

Ofc its still early in the generation.. Maybe once we get a fully fledged new Final Fantasy, God of War, Suckerpunches and exclusive ND game that might change my look in it lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 May 2022

SegaHeart said:

As for my favorite even though what happen in 6th generation was scary for other console fans, PS2 is the best It's library was legendary moreso than PS1. and PS3 even though on PS3 I like Aquapazza and Valkyrie Chronicles 1 stuck on PS3 forever. and large list of games on PS3 I like.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 is on PS4 and Switch. It even has a 60FPS upgrade from the PS3 version on PS4.

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

ps2 and it isn't even close. There wasn't a game the ps2 didn't have with the exception of Nintendo. The ps2 had everything.

Kakadu18 said:

Halo

Also:

Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic 
Jade Empire
Fable
Shenmue II
Ninja Gaiden: Black
Elder Scrolls III

Leaving out the best ones.

Otogi 1-2

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Jet Set Radio Future

Gunvalkrie

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's hard. When I was a kid, I wanted to have a PS1 to play Crash Bandicoot trilogy and some other titles. Today I own a PS2 and it has a incredible library.

But my vote goes to PS1, because it has the Crash trilogy, the Spyro trilogy, Final Fantasy VII VIII and IX, Breath of Fire III and IV...

Around the Network

PS2. It had SOCOM.

SegaHeart said:
SanAndreasX said:

Valkyria Chronicles 1 is on PS4 and Switch. It even has a 60FPS upgrade from the PS3 version on PS4.

That's a surprise? Will check in a certain site not facebook or craiglist and never mention that site because I can lowball the people there and facebook and craiglist in america is lost. And if anyone finds out about that site they killed that site and turned it into another messed up Ebay or facebook, we don't need anymore of that hope people keep quiet.

VC1 is Digital on Switch I think. PS4 has a physical and is less than $30 new at most retailers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:
Mandalore76 said:

Kakadu18 said:

Halo

Also:

Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic 
Jade Empire
Fable
Shenmue II
Ninja Gaiden: Black
Elder Scrolls III

It feels like you are missing the point.  If we listed the top 100 games in that generation, the ps2 had access to what 70%?  80%?  It was one of the most dominate generations I have ever witnessed.  Personal preference, but that fact that "Shenmue II" is being listed proves my point.  Outside a handful, and I do mean a handful, there isn't much the ps2 didn't have on their console.  

Edit
Also if I were you, I would have listed JSRF, given it was one of the better xbox exclusives.  Don't get me wrong, I owned and enjoyed my xbox, but the ps2 smashed the competition.  It wasn't an accident that it is the highest selling console of all time, while both the GC and xbox were meh in sales.

Personally I am glad both MS and Nintendo raised their game and provided Sony with better competition since those days.  

I never said the PS2 didn't smash the competition.  In fact, in my own post in this thread, I stated that I voted for the PS2 (although it was a very hard choice for me over the PS1).  But, your exact statement was "There wasn't a game the ps2 didn't have with the exception of Nintendo", which is just flat out wrong.  The XBox had some great exclusives, and its the reason I owned all 3 of the Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo consoles that generation.  And, I have no problem admitting that my PS2 definitely got the most play time of those three.  But your statement very clearly indicated that the PS2 didn't miss out on any big games that gen that weren't Nintendo first party games.  Between Kakadu18 and myself, we easily named 7 great original XBox exclusives, and as you pointed out there were others that we didn't even mention.  That's an entire average gamer's worth of game purchases for a console generation.  I don't take exception to anything you have said about the PS2's dominance during its generation, but the very specific wording of your statement was entirely incorrect.   

1. PS1 (best FF and RE games on it)
2. PS4
3. PS2 ( I was a PC gamer at the time, so didn't experience many exclusives on it)
4. PS3 ( worst but still great)
Can't rate PS5 jet.

Top PS1 games:
- Final fantasy IX
- Tekken 3
- Resident Evil 3
- Final Fantasy VII
- Dino Crisis 2
- Resident Evil 2

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

It feels like you are missing the point.  If we listed the top 100 games in that generation, the ps2 had access to what 70%?  80%?  It was one of the most dominate generations I have ever witnessed.  Personal preference, but that fact that "Shenmue II" is being listed proves my point.  Outside a handful, and I do mean a handful, there isn't much the ps2 didn't have on their console.  

Edit
Also if I were you, I would have listed JSRF, given it was one of the better xbox exclusives.  Don't get me wrong, I owned and enjoyed my xbox, but the ps2 smashed the competition.  It wasn't an accident that it is the highest selling console of all time, while both the GC and xbox were meh in sales.

Personally I am glad both MS and Nintendo raised their game and provided Sony with better competition since those days.  

I never said the PS2 didn't smash the competition.  In fact, in my own post in this thread, I stated that I voted for the PS2 (although it was a very hard choice for me over the PS1).  But, your exact statement was "There wasn't a game the ps2 didn't have with the exception of Nintendo", which is just flat out wrong.  The XBox had some great exclusives, and its the reason I owned all 3 of the Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo consoles that generation.  And, I have no problem admitting that my PS2 definitely got the most play time of those three.  But your statement very clearly indicated that the PS2 didn't miss out on any big games that gen that weren't Nintendo first party games.  Between Kakadu18 and myself, we easily named 7 great original XBox exclusives, and as you pointed out there were others that we didn't even mention.  That's an entire average gamer's worth of game purchases for a console generation.  I don't take exception to anything you have said about the PS2's dominance during its generation, but the very specific wording of your statement was entirely incorrect.   

Lol, I fully get the 'confusion' hence why I clarified.  My statement was taken, largely as a result of my verbiage, as aggressive.  I meant it as a compliment to the ps2's library, nothing more.  

And for the record I owned all three as well.  In fact I have owned every playstation, xbox and Nintendo home consoles to date.  And you are right.  The xbox had a good 10 exclusives...  the ps2 was stuck with 100+.  For me Nintendo is default my favorite developer, the ps2 was so loaded even I spent the most time on my ps2.  

The ps2 also stands out in terms of depth.  Want a good platformer...  there were 3 Sly games.  3 (maybe 4) Ratchet games.  Add in Jak, Ape Escape, Klonoa...  same is true with rpgs.  Just a great system overall.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 May 2022