By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 19M, NS and XS Sales Remain Flat - Global Hardware Apr 17-23

IcaroRibeiro said:
victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

Is there a reason to even have generations at this point ? 

Just release a upgraded hardware every 3 years and let devs decide which hardware they want to develop for, just like PCs 

That probably was the course until covid/shortages came along. 

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
victor83fernandes said:

To think that a 5 year console is constantly outselling the new consoles is ridiculous, and they do it every week. But only because there's plenty stock for the switch. If the PS5 had plenty stock it would be selling minimum 500 000 per week right now, I know of so many people wanting to buy one and I have never seen one for sale.

it'll always be a case of what could have been with PS5.  That first year demand was especially crazy.  I have no doubt it'd be by far their biggest first year ever if there hadn't been the damn pandemic.

That's odd.  I've heard numerous times on this site that the pandemic inflated video game console sales/demand.  

Looks like the PS5 is still selling more in North America LTD than Europe, and did so this week as well.
It would be weird if the final sales of the PS5 in North America and Europe were close, instead of skewed in Europe's favor.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

RolStoppable said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is there a reason to even have generations at this point ? 

Just release a upgraded hardware every 3 years and let devs decide which hardware they want to develop for, just like PCs 

Considering how the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X fared, yes. AAA publishers need the security that there's a big installed base, because their financial investment is so high. A new generation sells much better than an upgraded hardware revision.

The proposed upgrade model also comes with the catch that the older hardware can't be left out for a long time, because it would mean too many lost sales. That in turn makes most of the technological advantage of an upgraded model go to waste which then in turn means that there's less incentive for the market to buy an upgraded model over the old hardware.

But the most important reason why generations aren't going to go away is because neither Sony or Microsoft would grant the other company the tremendous marketing advantage of a new generation while they themself would stay course with merely upgraded hardware of their current generation and would be perceived as outdated. Therefore they'll keep forcing each other to make the move to introduce new generations.

In order to believe otherwise, you'd have to buy into Phil Spencer's PR that console sales aren't important anymore for Microsoft, thus opening the door for a major change. But it comes as no surprise that Xbox and Microsoft higher-ups brag about sales now that they aren't absolute basket case anymore, because the obvious explanation for Spencer's "console sales aren't important anymore" was always that they didn't want to talk about the numbers because they were so bad.

What? I'm sure next quater when they are down again they will still say sales matter. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

PS5 has taken the #2 Worldwide again, but Xbox Series is still winning in America.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

In retrospect, Sony's exclusives should've ditched PS4 and supported PS5/PC day and date (or 6-12 months PS5 exclusivity) at least until production significantly improves.

With the shortage in mind, HFW, GT7, and Ragnarok should have been developed around highend PC's from 2019 and ported to PS5. PS4 is just holding back PS5 for a very small return. Since full exclusives make even less sense in the current circumstances, PS5 + PC is the way to go (PC has a sizeable established "NextGen" installbase to tap into). I think Sony is starting to realize this but is concerned about the long term consequences.

Sony does not want their games on PC until way after the release on console.

Their main platform will always be the playstation. You wont see these new ps5 games on PC for quite a while. They did the right thing, keeping the games on playstation increases the demand and market for the playstation and then launch on PC a year or 2 after to get a bit more profit on the games.

This generation its not even a choice to release games on ps4, because there's only 19 million ps5 in the market, and over 100 million ps4.

Ah there any Sony games besides God of War Ragnarok still slated for release on PS4? That game will probably be the swan song for Sony's 8th gen system.

With only PS5's relatively small install base to draw on and the mammoth costs of modern AAA game development, releasing their games sooner on PC could help raise profit margins; I highly doubt they actually will do it, but it doesn't seem to have hurt the Xbox Series so it does seem a missed opportunity.

It's not like it will hurt PS5 sales as they're still lightyears away from meeting demand.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 May 2022

Kyuu said:
victor83fernandes said:

This generation its not even a choice to release games on ps4, because there's only 19 million ps5 in the market, and over 100 million ps4.

It doesn't matter all that much how many PS4's are out there if the playerbase isn't active enough. Sony games' splits are highly skewed towards PS5 despite the massive installbase gap, and will end up more skewed over time. The majority of PS4 owners intend to play these games on PS5.

This reminds me of when people defended the late 3DS games by saying it had a bigger install base than the Switch even though that stopped being true by the end of 2017 and the last couple outright flopped.

curl-6 said:

Ah there any Sony games besides God of War Ragnarok still slated for release on PS4? That game will probably be the swan song for Sony's 8th gen system.

I don't think so. Assuming that still gets released this year this gen will start in full force for Sony's developers next year.

I do think cross platform is holding the ps5 back. Ratchet looks amazing as does Demon. I'm not impressed with elden and forbidden west.

I think cross platform is holding Sony and Ms back. The sales charts seems pretty clear to me, customers would rather wait to play games on the new hardware than buy it for the old hardware, and that makes sense.

I think a similar thing is going to happen a few years from now when Nintendo launches its next console.