By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 19M, NS and XS Sales Remain Flat - Global Hardware Apr 17-23

aTokenYeti said:

I think cross platform is holding Sony and Ms back. The sales charts seems pretty clear to me, customers would rather wait to play games on the new hardware than buy it for the old hardware, and that makes sense.

I think a similar thing is going to happen a few years from now when Nintendo launches its next console.

Thankfully it does seem Sony and MS will be done with cross-gen titles going forward. GoW Ragnarok is the final for Sony and As Dusk Falls and Grounded 1.0 release are the final cross gen for MS. 

I know there's those leaked screenshots of an XOne build for the new Forza Motorsport, but hopefully that was just for testing purposes or the stories of how studios couldn't get Xbox series development kits were more widespread than anticipated. That's definitely a game I really want to see built from the ground up for current gen only. 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I do think cross platform is holding the ps5 back. Ratchet looks amazing as does Demon. I'm not impressed with elden and forbidden west.

Ratchet is blowing my freaking mind! Talk about Pixar quality in video game form. I barely got my PS5 a month ago and just finished Platinum for Spider-Man Remastered, then working on getting Platinum for Ratchet, which is...much easier to do than I was anticipating lol but still a ton of fun. 

victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

PS5 is actually doing better than all other Sony consoles apart from PS4 launch aligned. The PS5 will ship 10 million in it's first full fiscal year which is something that PS2 never achieved. Sony always struggled to manufacture enough systems at the start of a new gen, the exception being PS4.

* Number accounts for only three quarters

ShadowLink93 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

PS5 is actually doing better than all other Sony consoles apart from PS4 launch aligned. The PS5 will ship 10 million in it's first full fiscal year which is something that PS2 never achieved. Sony always struggled to manufacture enough systems at the start of a new gen, the exception being PS4.

Comparing PS2's first fiscal year to PS5 is disproportionately skewed in the PS5's favor due to the staggered release of the PS2.  The PS2 launched in Japan only on March 4, 2000, selling 1.4m units by the end of the month.  It continued to only be available in Japan until the NA launch on October 26, 2020, while EU and AU didn't see their launches until November 24th and November 30th, achieving worldwide total sales of 10.6m by March 31, 2001.  So, yes, PS2 only sold 9.2 million in it's "first fiscal year", but it did so while only being available in 1 territory (Japan) for almost 7 months of that time frame.  Meanwhile, the PS5 has been available worldwide as of November 19, 2020, and is available in more territories than the PS2 was to boot.  Pretty sure the original Playstation and PS3 launches were more staggered than the PS5 as well.  The PS5 launch had always been arranged in such a way for Sony to proclaim "greatest Playstation console launch ever" when it's not really an accurate comparison since they had never gone with such a worldwide release before.

"Demand for the PlayStation 2 remained strong throughout much of its lifespan, selling over 1.4 million units in Japan by March 31, 2000. Over 10.6 million units were sold worldwide by March 31, 2001."

Release datePlayStation 2
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
  • AU: November 30, 2000
Release date
PlayStation 5
November 12, 2020
    • AU/JP/KR/NA/NZ: November 12, 2020
    • WW: November 19, 2020

Mandalore76 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Comparing PS2's first fiscal year to PS5 is disproportionately skewed in the PS5's favor due to the staggered release of the PS2.  The PS2 launched in Japan only on March 4, 2000, selling 1.4m units by the end of the month.  It continued to only be available in Japan until the NA launch on October 26, 2020, while EU and AU didn't see their launches until November 24th and November 30th, achieving worldwide total sales of 10.6m by March 31, 2001.  So, yes, PS2 only sold 9.2 million in it's "first fiscal year", but it did so while only being available in 1 territory (Japan) for almost 7 months of that time frame.  Meanwhile, the PS5 has been available worldwide as of November 19, 2020, and is available in more territories than the PS2 was to boot.  Pretty sure the original Playstation and PS3 launches were more staggered than the PS5 as well.  The PS5 launch had always been arranged in such a way for Sony to proclaim "greatest Playstation console launch ever" when it's not really an accurate comparison since they had never gone with such a worldwide release before.

"Demand for the PlayStation 2 remained strong throughout much of its lifespan, selling over 1.4 million units in Japan by March 31, 2000. Over 10.6 million units were sold worldwide by March 31, 2001."

Release date PlayStation 2
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
  • AU: November 30, 2000
Release date
PlayStation 5
November 12, 2020
    • AU/JP/KR/NA/NZ: November 12, 2020
    • WW: November 19, 2020

I know that, back then Europe always got consoles a year or so later than Japan it was the same with PS1. This doesn't change that PS5 is tracking ahead of PS2, PS2 was hampered by not having a global launch and PS5 hampered by supply shortages.

Around the Network

The pressing question for me right now is if the Switch can outsell the PS2. Not that it's 1:1, given the whole hybrid thing, but still. Anyone think it's possible?

Last edited by JackHandy - on 05 May 2022

Personally no, I don't think the Switch will outsell the PS2.

The PS2 got down to $99 and was kept in production for 13 years. Switch probably won't be produced much after its successor releases, which will likely happen in the next 2 years. This also means the remainder of its time as Nintendo's flagship will take place under the limitations of the chip crunch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2022

JackHandy said:

The pressing question for me right now is if the Switch can outsell the PS2. Not that it's 1:1, given the whole hybrid thing, but still. Anything think it's possible?

I think it can. Switch had sold 103 million as of the end of 2021, so it only needs to sell another 53 million during the rest of it's life.

The sales of each calendar year might look like this:

2022: 22 million

2023: 18 million

2024 and beyond: 13 million

Doesn't seem impossible.

I think they'll probably quit Switch production at the end of March 2026, roughly 1.5 to 2 years after the successor launches.

Switch will outsell PS2 easily. Nintendo is predicting only 20 million this year because of chip shortages. Demand for OLED is higher than stock, this will lead to another 16 million+ year in 2023 and I truly believe it can cross 18

Even if they replace Switch in 2024 it will be in the last quarter, which will give another good year for 2024, at least 10 million+

Nintendo is likely to delay Switch 2 until chip shortages are corrected. With the shortages predicted to continue through 2024 I believe Switch 2 will come only in the end of 2025. With extended support and at least one more revision Switch will outselling PS2 before its sucessor come ou