By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 19M, NS and XS Sales Remain Flat - Global Hardware Apr 17-23

Kyuu said:

In retrospect, Sony's exclusives should've ditched PS4 and supported PS5/PC day and date (or 6-12 months PS5 exclusivity) at least until production significantly improves.

With the shortage in mind, HFW, GT7, and Ragnarok should have been developed around highend PC's from 2019 and ported to PS5. PS4 is just holding back PS5 for a very small return. Since full exclusives make even less sense in the current circumstances, PS5 + PC is the way to go (PC has a sizeable established "NextGen" installbase to tap into). I think Sony is starting to realize this but is concerned about the long term consequences.

Sony does not want their games on PC until way after the release on console.

Their main platform will always be the playstation. You wont see these new ps5 games on PC for quite a while. They did the right thing, keeping the games on playstation increases the demand and market for the playstation and then launch on PC a year or 2 after to get a bit more profit on the games.

This generation its not even a choice to release games on ps4, because there's only 19 million ps5 in the market, and over 100 million ps4.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
Kyuu said:

In retrospect, Sony's exclusives should've ditched PS4 and supported PS5/PC day and date (or 6-12 months PS5 exclusivity) at least until production significantly improves.

With the shortage in mind, HFW, GT7, and Ragnarok should have been developed around highend PC's from 2019 and ported to PS5. PS4 is just holding back PS5 for a very small return. Since full exclusives make even less sense in the current circumstances, PS5 + PC is the way to go (PC has a sizeable established "NextGen" installbase to tap into). I think Sony is starting to realize this but is concerned about the long term consequences.

Sony does not want their games on PC until way after the release on console.

Their main platform will always be the playstation. You wont see these new ps5 games on PC for quite a while. They did the right thing, keeping the games on playstation increases the demand and market for the playstation and then launch on PC a year or 2 after to get a bit more profit on the games.

This generation its not even a choice to release games on ps4, because there's only 19 million ps5 in the market, and over 100 million ps4.

It doesn't matter all that much how many PS4's are out there if the playerbase isn't active enough. Sony games' splits are highly skewed towards PS5 despite the massive installbase gap, and will end up more skewed over time. The majority of PS4 owners intend to play these games on PS5.

Sony's been badly hurt by limited stock since thr pandemic, so supporting PC to access a larger playerbase is a no brainer (In hindsight. Sony obviously underestimated the shortage and made decisions based on poor projections). I would have agreed with you if the chip shortage wasn't so bad. They initially expected the issues to be mostly solved by mid 2022. Now it's being said they'd last until 2024.

Xbox, which is the less popular platform, is doing great without any platform-exclusives. The Series X is yet to meet demand globally some 18 months after launch. I think the benefits from supporting PC early would outweigh the negatives for Sony. Not to mention that the wow factor of being true "nextgen" exclusive would have ensured stronger legs on both PC and PS5 through word of mouth. GT7, Ragnarok, and Horizon 2 would've performed better as true nextgen games not held back by 2012 technology.

Sony could choose to return to their old exclusive model once PS5 meets demand, which it won't anytime soon with or without exclusives.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 03 May 2022

Ah there any Sony games besides God of War Ragnarok still slated for release on PS4? That game will probably be the swan song for Sony's 8th gen system.

With only PS5's relatively small install base to draw on and the mammoth costs of modern AAA game development, releasing their games sooner on PC could help raise profit margins; I highly doubt they actually will do it, but it doesn't seem to have hurt the Xbox Series so it does seem a missed opportunity.

It's not like it will hurt PS5 sales as they're still lightyears away from meeting demand.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 May 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Kyuu said:
victor83fernandes said:

It doesn't matter all that much how many PS4's are out there if the playerbase isn't active enough. Sony games' splits are highly skewed towards PS5 despite the massive installbase gap, and will end up more skewed over time. The majority of PS4 owners intend to play these games on PS5.

This reminds me of when people defended the late 3DS games by saying it had a bigger install base than the Switch even though that stopped being true by the end of 2017 and the last couple outright flopped.

curl-6 said:

Ah there any Sony games besides God of War Ragnarok still slated for release on PS4? That game will probably be the swan song for Sony's 8th gen system.

I don't think so. Assuming that still gets released this year this gen will start in full force for Sony's developers next year.

I do think cross platform is holding the ps5 back. Ratchet looks amazing as does Demon. I'm not impressed with elden and forbidden west.

Around the Network

I think cross platform is holding Sony and Ms back. The sales charts seems pretty clear to me, customers would rather wait to play games on the new hardware than buy it for the old hardware, and that makes sense.

I think a similar thing is going to happen a few years from now when Nintendo launches its next console.

aTokenYeti said:

I think cross platform is holding Sony and Ms back. The sales charts seems pretty clear to me, customers would rather wait to play games on the new hardware than buy it for the old hardware, and that makes sense.

I think a similar thing is going to happen a few years from now when Nintendo launches its next console.

Thankfully it does seem Sony and MS will be done with cross-gen titles going forward. GoW Ragnarok is the final for Sony and As Dusk Falls and Grounded 1.0 release are the final cross gen for MS. 

I know there's those leaked screenshots of an XOne build for the new Forza Motorsport, but hopefully that was just for testing purposes or the stories of how studios couldn't get Xbox series development kits were more widespread than anticipated. That's definitely a game I really want to see built from the ground up for current gen only. 

Chrkeller said:

I do think cross platform is holding the ps5 back. Ratchet looks amazing as does Demon. I'm not impressed with elden and forbidden west.

Ratchet is blowing my freaking mind! Talk about Pixar quality in video game form. I barely got my PS5 a month ago and just finished Platinum for Spider-Man Remastered, then working on getting Platinum for Ratchet, which is...much easier to do than I was anticipating lol but still a ton of fun. 

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 76

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 19,290,450
  2. PS5: 19,055,638
  3. XSX|S: 14,317,769

Through the first 76 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.23 million units units and is 4.97 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.74 million units.

The Switch has sold 19.29 million in 76 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 19.06 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 14.32 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 76 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 36.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 7,118,383
  2. XSX|S: 7,002,488
  3. Switch: 6,758,535

Through the first 76 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.12 million units and is 0.36 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.24 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.12 million in 76 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 7.00 million units and the Switch 6.76 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 76 weeks, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 34.1 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 33.5 percent, and the Switch at 32.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (75 weeks):

1. PS5: 7,002,093
  2. Switch: 4,958,408
  3. XSX|S: 4,194,472

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 75 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.04 million units and is 2.81 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.76 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.00 million in 75 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 4.96 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.19 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 75 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.3 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 30.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 4,875,866
  2. PS5: 1,573,702
  3. XSX|S: 186,987

Through the first 76 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 3.30 million units and is 4.69 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.39 million units.

The Switch has sold 4.88 million units in 76 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.57 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.19 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 76 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 73.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.8 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

PS5 is actually doing better than all other Sony consoles apart from PS4 launch aligned. The PS5 will ship 10 million in it's first full fiscal year which is something that PS2 never achieved. Sony always struggled to manufacture enough systems at the start of a new gen, the exception being PS4.

* Number accounts for only three quarters