By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 19M, NS and XS Sales Remain Flat - Global Hardware Apr 17-23

ShadowLink93 said:
victor83fernandes said:

Switch is doing better than anyone expected, a huge success and still going strong, will reach easily 150 million.

PS5 is not doing bad, better than the ps3 but worse than the ps2 and ps4. But of course its only due to shortages

Xbox series is doing better than the one, but worse than ps4 or ps5, then again if you count out the series S which is much less powerful than the other 2 next gen, then the xbox would be doing bad, but again, shortages don't help.

If its true that the semiconductor shortages will go until 2024, then this will be the worst generation in terms of sales, and consequently games as developers will prefer to do cross generation as to not lose money.

PS5 is actually doing better than all other Sony consoles apart from PS4 launch aligned. The PS5 will ship 10 million in it's first full fiscal year which is something that PS2 never achieved. Sony always struggled to manufacture enough systems at the start of a new gen, the exception being PS4.

* Number accounts for only three quarters

Comparing PS2's first fiscal year to PS5 is disproportionately skewed in the PS5's favor due to the staggered release of the PS2.  The PS2 launched in Japan only on March 4, 2000, selling 1.4m units by the end of the month.  It continued to only be available in Japan until the NA launch on October 26, 2020, while EU and AU didn't see their launches until November 24th and November 30th, achieving worldwide total sales of 10.6m by March 31, 2001.  So, yes, PS2 only sold 9.2 million in it's "first fiscal year", but it did so while only being available in 1 territory (Japan) for almost 7 months of that time frame.  Meanwhile, the PS5 has been available worldwide as of November 19, 2020, and is available in more territories than the PS2 was to boot.  Pretty sure the original Playstation and PS3 launches were more staggered than the PS5 as well.  The PS5 launch had always been arranged in such a way for Sony to proclaim "greatest Playstation console launch ever" when it's not really an accurate comparison since they had never gone with such a worldwide release before.

"Demand for the PlayStation 2 remained strong throughout much of its lifespan, selling over 1.4 million units in Japan by March 31, 2000. Over 10.6 million units were sold worldwide by March 31, 2001."

Release datePlayStation 2
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
  • AU: November 30, 2000
Release date
PlayStation 5
November 12, 2020
    • AU/JP/KR/NA/NZ: November 12, 2020
    • WW: November 19, 2020


Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

PS5 is actually doing better than all other Sony consoles apart from PS4 launch aligned. The PS5 will ship 10 million in it's first full fiscal year which is something that PS2 never achieved. Sony always struggled to manufacture enough systems at the start of a new gen, the exception being PS4.

* Number accounts for only three quarters

Comparing PS2's first fiscal year to PS5 is disproportionately skewed in the PS5's favor due to the staggered release of the PS2.  The PS2 launched in Japan only on March 4, 2000, selling 1.4m units by the end of the month.  It continued to only be available in Japan until the NA launch on October 26, 2020, while EU and AU didn't see their launches until November 24th and November 30th, achieving worldwide total sales of 10.6m by March 31, 2001.  So, yes, PS2 only sold 9.2 million in it's "first fiscal year", but it did so while only being available in 1 territory (Japan) for almost 7 months of that time frame.  Meanwhile, the PS5 has been available worldwide as of November 19, 2020, and is available in more territories than the PS2 was to boot.  Pretty sure the original Playstation and PS3 launches were more staggered than the PS5 as well.  The PS5 launch had always been arranged in such a way for Sony to proclaim "greatest Playstation console launch ever" when it's not really an accurate comparison since they had never gone with such a worldwide release before.

"Demand for the PlayStation 2 remained strong throughout much of its lifespan, selling over 1.4 million units in Japan by March 31, 2000. Over 10.6 million units were sold worldwide by March 31, 2001."

Release date PlayStation 2
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
  • AU: November 30, 2000
Release date
PlayStation 5
November 12, 2020
    • AU/JP/KR/NA/NZ: November 12, 2020
    • WW: November 19, 2020

I know that, back then Europe always got consoles a year or so later than Japan it was the same with PS1. This doesn't change that PS5 is tracking ahead of PS2, PS2 was hampered by not having a global launch and PS5 hampered by supply shortages.



The pressing question for me right now is if the Switch can outsell the PS2. Not that it's 1:1, given the whole hybrid thing, but still. Anyone think it's possible?

Last edited by JackHandy - on 05 May 2022

Personally no, I don't think the Switch will outsell the PS2.

The PS2 got down to $99 and was kept in production for 13 years. Switch probably won't be produced much after its successor releases, which will likely happen in the next 2 years. This also means the remainder of its time as Nintendo's flagship will take place under the limitations of the chip crunch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

JackHandy said:

The pressing question for me right now is if the Switch can outsell the PS2. Not that it's 1:1, given the whole hybrid thing, but still. Anything think it's possible?

I think it can. Switch had sold 103 million as of the end of 2021, so it only needs to sell another 53 million during the rest of it's life.

The sales of each calendar year might look like this:

2022: 22 million

2023: 18 million

2024 and beyond: 13 million

Doesn't seem impossible.



Around the Network

I think they'll probably quit Switch production at the end of March 2026, roughly 1.5 to 2 years after the successor launches.



Switch will outsell PS2 easily. Nintendo is predicting only 20 million this year because of chip shortages. Demand for OLED is higher than stock, this will lead to another 16 million+ year in 2023 and I truly believe it can cross 18

Even if they replace Switch in 2024 it will be in the last quarter, which will give another good year for 2024, at least 10 million+


Nintendo is likely to delay Switch 2 until chip shortages are corrected. With the shortages predicted to continue through 2024 I believe Switch 2 will come only in the end of 2025. With extended support and at least one more revision Switch will outselling PS2 before its sucessor come ou



I get the feeling Sony thought the transition from PS4-PS5 was going to land somewhere between PS2-PS3 and PS3-PS4. I don't think they expected to be able to crush PS4 yearly sales, which isn't surprising because without the pandemic their production so far probably wouldn't be that far off what would've been needed. I still think they would've been short and in demand regardless, but nowhere near the same level. PS5 could probably be at 25M sales right now if Sony had bet bigger than they did with PS4 right off the bat. I'd bet their big bet with PS3 and it's poor launch led to Sony being somewhat hesitant after learning all the hard lessons they did that gen.

I'm one of those PS4 players that isn't buying cross gen games because I rarely replay games. I'd much rather experience them on PS5.
I'm also one of those buyers who waits a few years until the units have any kinks worked out and once the price has dropped a bit. After the new heatsink revisions, I'd have bought a PS5 by now, full price, if I could walk in and grab it, but until I get lucky or can without having to hope there's one on the shelf, my game purchases are going to be at a minimum. In fact I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to Plus Extra just to get a big selection of games for cheap while I'm waiting for PS5 production to ramp up.

At least MS made the XB Series S. Can you imagine what things would be like right now if all there were was PS5(D) and XB Series X?



deerox said:

I think it can. Switch had sold 103 million as of the end of 2021, so it only needs to sell another 53 million during the rest of it's life.

The sales of each calendar year might look like this:

2022: 22 million

2023: 18 million

2024 and beyond: 13 million

Doesn't seem impossible.

More like:

2022: 18-20M

2023: 10-14M

2024 and beyond: 6-10M combined

So around 140M lifetime. I can't see it much more than that.

So no, not even close to the estimated 158-160M PS2 units. In fact 20M short.

As for the successor of the Switch it will be either 2023 spring, 2023 holiday, or 2024 spring at latest. Either way Switch is making around something in the range of 135-145M lifetime.



yo33331 said:
deerox said:

I think it can. Switch had sold 103 million as of the end of 2021, so it only needs to sell another 53 million during the rest of it's life.

The sales of each calendar year might look like this:

2022: 22 million

2023: 18 million

2024 and beyond: 13 million

Doesn't seem impossible.

More like:

2022: 18-20M

2023: 10-14M

2024 and beyond: 6-10M combined

So around 140M lifetime. I can't see it much more than that.

So no, not even close to the estimated 158-160M PS2 units. In fact 20M short.

As for the successor of the Switch it will be either 2023 spring, 2023 holiday, or 2024 spring at latest. Either way Switch is making around something in the range of 135-145M lifetime.

Delusional