By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 17, 2022 - (18th Apr - 24th Apr)

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

That's a pretty big spin to try to paint stable sales on Switch as a bad thing. It's not Nintendo's fault PS is failing. If third parties want to stay relevant in Japan, there's a simple answer, support the only console Japanese gamers really care about.

Isn't exactly what Konami is doing ? They are still unable to transfer their past sales from PS4 to Switch

Switch being successful on itself isn't a bad thing. Being the ONLY successful console in a market however is. Never said anything about being Nintendo's fault, however is clear third parties aren't recovering anytime soon

I don't necessarily think that the peak sales of the past are the benchmark for viability. I mean, to apply that standard to hardware, is PS failing because they haven't recaptured the sales of the PS2, or the PS3 + PSP? You can do well even if at some point in the past you've done better.

I mean yeah, it would be better if Playstation was more successful in Japan, but I'd have to respectfully disagree about the third party outlook in Japan being quite so gloomy.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Isn't exactly what Konami is doing ? They are still unable to transfer their past sales from PS4 to Switch

Switch being successful on itself isn't a bad thing. Being the ONLY successful console in a market however is. Never said anything about being Nintendo's fault, however is clear third parties aren't recovering anytime soon

I don't necessarily think that the peak sales of the past are the benchmark for viability. I mean, to apply that standard to hardware, is PS failing because they haven't recaptured the sales of the PS2, or the PS3 + PSP? You can do well even if at some point in the past you've done better.

I mean yeah, it would be better if Playstation was more successful in Japan, but I'd have to respectfully disagree about the third party outlook in Japan being quite so gloomy.

I agree with you only because now most games are ported to PCs and are easier and less costly to be localized which allow third parties to leverage sales outside Japan. I've seen quite often third party games breaking their own records the past years of the best selling in the franchise and this is never thanks to JP market, rather despite of JP market 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

I agree with you only because now most games are ported to PCs and are easier and less costly to be localized which allow third parties to leverage sales outside Japan. I've seen quite often third party games breaking their own records the past years of the best selling in the franchise and this is never thanks to JP market, rather despite of JP market 

The world is bigger than Japan, but Japan is still a significant gaming market, significant enough to be worth not abandoning. 

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Since the PS5 plays PS4 games, and Ebaseball isn't exactly the kind of game that cries out for a next gen showcase, I'm not sure a dedicated PS5 version would've made that big a difference.

Well since the Switch version sold the same, while only the PS4 version had a big drop, I feel like a PS5 version would simply bridge some of that gap.

In the past some used to say that PS5 sales are low because gamers would just buy the PS4 version and upgrade it to PS5, having two versions for half the price. If the Japanese PS5 userbase really wanted the eBaseball game they would have just purchased the PS4 version, as apparently they have done so in the past.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Time for Nintendo to think about a Switch price drop.

我是广州人

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

Time for Nintendo to think about a Switch price drop.

Yeah, they need a price drop every time the sales go down a bit. This current week which is golden week it'll sell more and then it'll suddenly not need a price drop anymore.

Also notice how the OLED model, the most expensive model is up week over week?

deerox said:
Kakadu18 said:

Have you seen Shadowlink's charts? It's way above 2019 and dropping that low this time of the year isn't unusual. The 3DS launch aligned was selling less than a third of the Switch's numbers on average weekly. Sometimes sub 20k. The Switch still has a lot of steam in it's engine.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the weekly sales of the 3DS?

Saturation Comparison (Year 6)

W# — 3DS —— NSW

W1: 122.8k — 195.9k
W2: 51.1k —— 148.7k
W3: 31.4k —— 94.5k
W4: 30.0k —— 77.2k
W5: 24.9k —— 99.1k
W6; 19.8k —— 92.4k
W7: 21.1k —— 118.1k
W8: 18.6k —— 96.9k
W9: 20.0k —— 70.2k
W10: 21.3k — 97.0k
W11: 20.5k — 98.2k
W12: 20.4K — 85.5k
W13: 25.3k — 83.8k
W14: 25.5k — 67.2k
W15: 21.2k — 61.2k
W16: 18.3k — 60.3k
W17: 15.1k — 57.5k
W18: 22.4k
W19: 23.6k
W20: 14.4k

3DS: 507k
NSW: 1604k

Only 1100k over 3DS same year, saturation really hitting hard  

3DS year 6 sold 1874k btw!

By this year's end, Xbox Series X|S will be somewhere between 290K to 324K in Japan (if we keep min. 3K/week average for the rest of the year and max. 4K/week average). Maybe even more if they'll continue to sell in the 5K to 6K range.

If the charts for Switch games were nothing by first party then I'd say the concern would be warranted, but we still have plenty of third party titles routinely make the charts, (nearly half this week's Switch games in the top 30 are third party) and even some like Momotaro and Monster Hunter Rise that sell as well as even Nintendo's elite heavy hitters.

Japanese third party sales on Switch have risen consistently for the last three years. It's not all doom and gloom.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 May 2022

Is Golden Week going to delay the numbers for Week 18?

Signature goes here!