By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 17, 2022 - (18th Apr - 24th Apr)

Passing 3DS in Japan is an achievement in itself, but doing it in half the time is truly impressive.

I see Switch Sports becoming another evergreen in Nintendo's arsenal.

Around the Network

Switch will cement itself as 3rd all time, and top of the home consoles all time list (I think it needs a couple more million if you take out the Switch lite sales). Really impressive stuff, and at this rate it might have an outside chance of 30 mil, especially with the lineup this year

kopstudent89 said:

Switch will cement itself as 3rd all time, and top of the home consoles all time list (I think it needs a couple more million if you take out the Switch lite sales). Really impressive stuff, and at this rate it might have an outside chance of 30 mil, especially with the lineup this year

It won’t cement itself as 3rd, it’s aiming for first and some. Don’t let these numbers fool you my friend. NSW has a couple hundred thousand sales untracked thanks to Nintendo online store. Waiting for shipments tomorrow and you’ll see that the numbers as of end of March surpassed 3ds total there.

NSW is definitely ahead so it’s at least 25.20mil now, NDS is at 32.99mil. So under 7.70mil to go. This FY alone should cover roughly 4mil of shipments (end of March 2023).

tbone51 said:

NSW is definitely ahead so it’s at least 25.20mil now, NDS is at 32.99mil. So under 7.70mil to go. This FY alone should cover roughly 4mil of shipments (end of March 2023).

And even if it does not quite reach NDS numbers at the EOL (I think it's still a possibility depending on pricing of the Switch and pricing and release timing of the next console) it's still quite impressive considering the population of Japan is in decline and especially the number of young people is shrinking rapidly.

kenjab said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Source?

This is what I've seen, not sure how official this person is.  AFAIK, no official Famitsu numbers are out yet

This isn't so fair... 3DS was at 24.496m as of 2019, up from 24.3 of 2018. The part about it took 10 years e.t.c isn't precise...it leads to the conclusion that NS did it in half time, while it's not so valid. So, actually it's 8 years 2011-2019.

Last edited by tak13 - on 09 May 2022

Around the Network
holzi said:
tbone51 said:

And even if it does not quite reach NDS numbers at the EOL (I think it's still a possibility depending on pricing of the Switch and pricing and release timing of the next console) it's still quite impressive considering the population of Japan is in decline and especially the number of young people is shrinking rapidly.

Exactly! it relies on the Nintendo switch lite, I assume that the other members of the family can't have a much lower price or Nintendo may not want it just for it to surpass NDS ( did they ever drop wii price in its late lifetime?) Let's not ignore that from the 25m NS sales, 5m are from NS Lite. Itss existence was/is very important.

@Tbon51 NS shipments total  24.36m as of December 2021 3DS lifetime sales 25.26m 500k untracked Nintendo online store? 1.1m shipped last year same time frame, hence it needs 900k this year. You're most likely right that NS has surpassed in shipments total too.

3DS overperformed in Japan relative to its global sales, but the Switch simply outguns it with broader appeal thanks to its hybrid nature, better concept and marketing, and home console tier experiences.
It's worth remembering the 3DS was much cheaper than the Switch too.

Btw, Konami had it's by far most profitable year. I'm to lazy to make a thread about it so I'm just putting it here.